Hey Stokes!

Discussion in 'Politics' started by goofyfish, Mar 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sweet Pentax Registered Senior Member

thing is : the goverment can´t decide indiviually ! they can´t "test" parents or something like that
    btw , goofy .... you think there was NO way to get a loaded weapon in your hands ( without your parents ) ?
    i´d rather think you acted responsible , not your parents ( err .... i don´t want to attack your family )

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

No offense taken.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

They acted responsibly by instilling respect for firearms in me.

:m: Peace.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. sweet Pentax Registered Senior Member

but you know , there is no guarantee that a kid acts like you you want it to act!
    a lot of kids try to "steal" pops pistol , i´m sure !
    so as statitics have shown , it seems that american parents have huge problems when it comes to responsibility - isn´t it time to do something ? i know .... you can´t teach parents .... so just take them their right to bear weapons

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

But my point is that, in the big picture of childrens' deaths, guns play a very minor part. Yes, we have a viceral reaction when something happens to a child - it's genetic, probably - but emotions cannot change the fact that there are greater dangers.

:m: Peace.

8. immane1 Registered Senior Member

9. Mystech Adult Supervision Required Registered Senior Member

Yes, surely I was making such an obscure and nonsensical reference, hehe. You’re too educated for your own good, go drink some and purge your brain of useless bits of information.

Pink Delta, as in the gay pride symbol, Delta Force, as in the US Army special ops force, put it together and you've got a cell of homosexual domestic terrorists, I'm certain.

10. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

what are the laws for getting a weapon, registration, background check by police. ect?

what are the laws for storing a weapon, safybox, ammo and weapon seperate. ect?

11. dsdsds Valued Senior Member

The “pools and bicycles kill more kids than guns” argument is stupid.
    1.All kids play in pools and ride bicycles. Ratio of kids who play to those who die is low. There are laws that make pools & bikes safer but yes they could and should be improved.
    2.Swimming & bicycling is exercising and is healthy for kids. They probably save more lives (through preventing heart disease later in life) then they take.
    3.Guns are designed to kill. The effort required to pull a trigger is much less than effort required to ride a bike in oncoming traffic.
    4.GUNS ARE DESIGNED TO KILL. Fine. You want to go target practice or hunting, no reason to own 8 fully automatic machine guns. Best target practice is with pellet gun.
    You guys are using excuses like target practice and hunting. The main reason people own guns in US is to “protect” themselves from other people with guns.

12. sweet Pentax Registered Senior Member

btw , practice for what ? the next civil war ?

13. immane1 Registered Senior Member

ds,

"The main reason people own guns in US is to “protect” themselves from other people with guns."

You almost nailed it on that one, although I would change the wording to add "...with guns and other potentially lethal weapons" (Sometimes people use their bare hands to kill/mame). This is indeed the reason for purchasing my first handgun. However, you might want to check some statistics on hunting in the US. There are tens of millions of people who hunt here. Also I would disagree with your opinion "Guns are designed to kill". You would be hard pressed to find many gun experts that agree that 22 rimfire cartridges are efficient at self defense. They are indeed used primarily for "plinking"( outdoor target shooting at targets such as cans and such ) and legitimate target shooting. Ironically, I believe I read a statistic that claimed that more murders were committed using .22's, than all other calibers combined. The reason for this is probably the fact that .22's are generally the cheapest guns to obtain even on the black-market and ammo is very inexpensive as well. Plus, they are generally small and easy to conceal. Hey, your buddy Reagan was shot with a .22, and he's still kickin'. Brady didn't fare so well, but he's alive. The bottom line is this: Our criminal justice system is broken. Criminals continue to obtain guns in countries like the UK and Australia, even though they are now illegal there. Wake up, it's a perfectly fucked up world out there, and banning guns is not the best solution.

14. immane1 Registered Senior Member

Kunax,

There's this thingy called Google out there. Do your own research!

15. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

did not want to research, so i just asked a simple question, if it's answered or not means nothing to me.

16. RonVolk Registered Senior Member

One of the things that make 22 caliber guns popular is the ricochet effect. If you shoot someone in the head with a 22 the bullet is likey to penetrate the skull but not exit instead it'll ricochet and tear up more vital tissue. I think the Buttafucco case involved a 22 pistol.

17. immane1 Registered Senior Member

Ron,
    This is an old-wives-tale. Where is your evidence to support this untrue statement regarding ricochet. Assuming the .22 (rimfire) round has enough energy to pierce the skull(many times it does not), what exactly will it ricochet off of? There are no bones in human brains.(except for a few posters here) Bullets need something relatively hard to hit before it can ricochet. Simple physics.

18. SpyMoose Secret double agent deer Registered Senior Member

yes... where would a bullet find a relatively hard material to bounce off of upon punching though someone’s SCULL.... hmmm where inside someone’s SCULL is there some sort of tough substance that a small bullet would have a tough time penetrating... in someone’s SCULL.

19. Mystech Adult Supervision Required Registered Senior Member

You're being terribly insensitive you know. What about all of those people with two dimensional skulls, the bullet only has to penetrate once and then there's no other side to reach.

And yes, some larger rounds will blow right through you, it'll still kill you but the wound is usually fairly clean. A .22 however just sort of goes in and rattles around inside of you until you die.

20. RonVolk Registered Senior Member

Immane1, no links here something I was told about the .223 (5.56MM) figured it would apply to the .22. I don't know the specifications for the rimfire could you supply me with some? Buttafuco case was aparantly a .25 caliber pistol damn my poor memory for molestation/murder caseS.

Sweet Pentax be happy were just practicing and not INVADING GERMANY!!!
    (LOL joking)

21. 15ofthe19 35 year old virgin Registered Senior Member

Ron, for what it's worth. The .223 is the cartridge you probably know as the M-16, M-4, AR-15, or Bushmaster. It's generally 55-65 grains, Centerfire, very high velocity. It would blow right through your skull at close range and keep going for a long time on the other side, depending on the jacketing.

Absolutely no comparison to a .22 rimfire.

22. RonVolk Registered Senior Member

M-16 A2 amunition, .223 caliber (5.56mm.) yea, I know at close range, but the rounds out of the M-16's are supposed to hit at a distance.(At least thats what I was trained to do) At a distance shouldn't the M-16 .223 rounds act like the close up .22 caliber rounds? I assumed they would but is there something that I'm overlooking?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2004
  23. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

As are people who drive cars, know karate, or live in a country with an army. Now that we are all equally disgusting, do you feel any better?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.