How do I know that any of you exist?

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by skaught, May 5, 2008.

1. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

Years ago, I was dating this girl who was a little younger than me. So we had to keep it a secret that we were dating. So we only spent time together late at night. And when we went out, we always went somewhere far away or somewhere secluded. I had told some of my friends and family about her. She was a very quiet shy person. So on the very rare occasions that we hung out with people. It was as if she wasn't there.
    Then one time, I came down with an anxiety disorder. And we were driving to a town that I had never been to before. Actually, she was driving. Then it hit me. I was suddenly convinced that she didn't exist. and I was the one driving, but I was making myself think that she was driving. And since we were driving to a place that I had never been to before, then I would get lost because I had never been there before and must be driving aimlessly. Then I would look like John whatshisface from A Beautiful mind... Long story short, I made her turn around and take me home and we then had a serious talk about coming out. We did and it turned out well. even though we broke up a year later.

Point is. How do I know that any of you people here at sciforums are real? For all I know this site could exist in my mind. Something I manifested to cure my boredom. Are any of you really real? Are you more than constructs of my psyche? Do you have lives outside of this site?

How will I ever know

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

:shrug:

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

The cure for Solipsism ...

But yes. Anyone serious about training their mind and finding true happiness in life needs to address the problem of Solipsism at some point, and solve it.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Have you even considered that we probably are real and honestly do not care if you know we exist? It certainly isn't a goal of mine to spend time and effort trying to reassure all the people out there with mental defects like you've just described.

Yes, we have real lives away from here - and that's where we spend the majority of our time - and not dealing with other's foolish perceptions of reality.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. draqon Banned Banned

wow she was real quiet...

8. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

You won't unless you come to a sciforums dance!

9. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

Wow! You're a dick!

10. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Not at all - I just live in the real world while others live in the make-believe. I deal with real issues and real people. I'm actually quite willing to help others but not ones with self-delusional fantasies like yours. Just grow up!!

11. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Thanks alot, now I don't know if I exist! I'm probably just a figment of skaught's imagination.

12. Jozen-Bo The Wheel Spinning King!!! Registered Senior Member

As it turns out I am you! I have been you all along! You are a schizophrenic and I am your imaginary double, soon I will take over your mind and you will forget the previous you and the new you takes over!

13. Jozen-Bo The Wheel Spinning King!!! Registered Senior Member

No, your a figment of mine. I splintered before coming to earth, and you are one of my splinters! Now be a good puppet and say something intelligent!

14. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

Well, if you don't understand a philosophical question in a philosophical forum, then I suggest you stay out of my philosophical thread!
    and if you have nothing better to do than go around acting like a jerk then I think it it you who needs to get a life and grow up.

15. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

One of my figments is indeed a scary clown spider!!!

16. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

Well as long as you are better looking than me, then thats ok!

I'll be happy becoming anybody as long as its not read-only!!! If I become him, I will have to stuff myself down an incinerator! And If I can't then I ask you to do me a favor and push me down one!!!

17. Jozen-Bo The Wheel Spinning King!!! Registered Senior Member

See, you sound just like me!

18. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

We don't, thread/

19. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

you are me and we are all together

20. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Heh its easy. I don't exist. :shrug:

21. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Exactly, your just a computer generated personalty made by and for the forum, and no matter what artificial evidence you construct we will never fall for it.

22. draqon Banned Banned

Ok ElectricFetus, you are just a figment of the code in my imagination...so now you got to listen to me your master, come to me and be my girlfriend.

23. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Absolutely, just an algorithm let loose