How does Amoeba detect light?

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by 786, Jan 16, 2015.

1. 786 Searching for Truth Valued Senior Member

So here's the thing. Amoeba move towards 'shadows' when light shines on them. How are they detecting this light? And why does this cause them to move to the shadows.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Jason.Marshall Banned Banned

I asked my teacher this question in grade 9 and she refused to answer. But I would assume even thought they don't have eyes to detect light they can still detect the frequency with a different set of sensory capabilities it would not be so hard to imagine if you think of plant cells taking in light for the purpose of photosynthesis so maybe they have a similar structure just a wild guess, but there are legally blind people that can see in the dark shapes and even colour and there are also frequencies that we cannot detect with our ordinary senses so we think they don't exist go figure. Bats can see sound by means of eco location so it just seems like organs are not even that special its all about frequency and what ever organ or apparatus used to translate that message into a subjective form would be called a sense sensory capability. It seems like organs or what ever sensory apparatus used for translation of the frequency just seems to be a dependant variable while the while the frequency or message is somehow pure and is an independent variable.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. CHRIS.Q Registered Senior Member

No picture can't explain

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Probably just simple biochemical processes that are impacted by light energy. The whole organism might be 'sped up' by the simple fact of slight heating from light. Hence, it seems to move deliberately away from light.

8. Jason.Marshall Banned Banned

Hmm...interesting its a lifeform it contains h2o molecules and it needs to stay hydrated. We move away from the sun when its hot and we are water based so it would be completely logical for another life form with about a trillionth of the water mass of a human being to make even a greater effort to stay hydrated. It would be way easier for an amoeba to dry out than a human so maybe the light is burning them leading to possible pain and dehydration they are alive they must move when in pain or discomfort just because they don't have a nervous system we still cant assume they don't feel pain get hot are get dehydrated.

9. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

I suppose stress might build up stress compounds, counteracted by HSPs and the like, but I don't know that they would constitute 'pain'. There's no service to connect, or anywhere to connect it to. I think the simple physiochemical response is probably the solution.