How is faith in God attained?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by nds1, Feb 22, 2007.

1. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Perhaps Jesus wasn't really dead. I think this was the source of the fable, he was only in a coma, and his friends entered the tomb with healing medicines, then whisked him away to some unknown hiding place.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Godless Objectivist Mind Registered Senior Member

Yep, heard that one before, he went on to get married and had a few kids of his own too.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

, but then again some believe Jesus was gay!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. scorpius a realist Valued Senior Member

yeah some people just believe anything you tell them,thats all.
    others THINK for themselves!..and become atheists as a result

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Godless Objectivist Mind Registered Senior Member

8. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I believe there are far more emotional atheists than theists.

9. Adstar Valued Senior Member

Faith is gained by hearing the Word of God. Accepting the first (basic) things leads one to be given more things to accept. This continues and faith grows strong. Or one reaches a point where they cannot accept it and faith drains away.

Romans 10
    17 So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Pride is a limiting factor in this process.

Proverbs 16
    18 Pride goes before destruction, And a haughty spirit before a fall.

Meekness is an assisting factor in this process.

Zephaniah 2
    3 Seek the LORD, all you meek of the earth, Who have upheld His justice. Seek righteousness, seek humility. It may be that you will be hidden In the day of the LORD’s anger.

Psalm 37
    11 But the meek shall inherit the earth, And shall delight themselves in the abundance of peace.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

10. Carcano Valued Senior Member

Knowledge is attained.

Faith is merely chosen.

11. SnakeLord snakeystew.com Valued Senior Member

Anything to support your claim? Didn't think so.

12. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Predictable reaction? Apparently.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. mustafhakofi I sa'id so Registered Senior Member

what he may have thought he was, is obviously wrong, he could not have become an enlightened atheist to later revert back to the unenlightened, unless he had some major trauma, to his head.
    you obviously dont understand, the atheist mind. and nor does any religious person who says the used to be atheist what a crock of shit.
    it's just not possible.

14. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

As already explained in another thread - this analysis is highly flawed, as it does not dig deep enough into the reasoning behind the face-value statements that the sides provided.

Even JamesR has said that his analysis would not be done the same way now.
    See posts 109 (bottom of) and JamesR's own admission in post 114

So this "analysis" by JamesR should not be used to support either side, due to its flaws.

Anything else to support the claim you made?

15. nds1 Registered Senior Member

What is "the Word of God"?

16. Godless Objectivist Mind Registered Senior Member

I never answered the question!

First buried your head in mysticism, second suspend reason & logicm, the rest will come easily. Believing in god is about the same as believing in leprechauns, big foot, unicorns, demons, devils, ghosts, and any variance of mysticism that exists.

17. Adstar Valued Senior Member

More like Who is the Word of God...

John 1
    1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made.

Jesus is the Word of God.

As Jesus said:

John 6
    63 It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and they are life.

All Praise The Ancient of Days

18. nds1 Registered Senior Member

So then we attain faith by hearing Jesus.

Jesus is physically dead. He is not here anymore, as far as I know.

Therefore, according to you, it is impossible for us to gain faith today because we can't talk or listen to Jesus.

19. Photizo Ambassador/Envoy Valued Senior Member

No... according to you it is impossible --> "Jesus is physically dead. He is not here anymore, as far as I know."

"For by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned."

20. Cyperium I'm always me Valued Senior Member

If strong logic is applied with limited knowledge, then we get a very crude and unmeaningful world.

To compensate for our limitations we have faith, so that we can trust that with truth comes meaning, before we actually know the truth. Truth gives logic, not the other way around. When you have truth, even just a glimpse of it, you gain logic, since truth is something that we love, logic is gained through loving it. What logic then is defined as is not a priority, since you gained your definition of it, and you know it is true, as it (if applied correctly) is evidenced, time and time again.

God, is a matter of faith for us, since He is at the beginning, He is the reason we have anything at all. Set aside bad things, look at what you have, there you have something uncorrupt, even if it is faint, perhaps you don't see it so well, but when you get there, everything is a witness of it, and you see that there is meaning with you being alive, of all possible nothing, you are here.

And the world is not dark anymore.

21. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Read the posts on this forum by atheists, Watch a Richard Dawkins interview or read what he writes about theism.

22. Cyperium I'm always me Valued Senior Member

...because they can't believe in God by thought alone.

23. Zephyr Humans are ONE Registered Senior Member

In this way can faith be obtained:

Write the affirmation "I believe in God. Every good I see is evidence of His perfection; every evil I see is evidence of man's corruption."

Read this every night, before you go to sleep. Carry it in your mind throughout the day. Pick a holy book and browse through it often. Make religious friends. Argue with atheists and smile superciliously at their missing the point.

And buy Pizza from Dave's Pizza Parlour: "twice as expensive, but ten times as tasty!"