How the British Got their Accent

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by lixluke, Oct 11, 2004.

1. vslayer Registered Senior Member

im from NZ, "i" is more like an "ih", like that ihhh noise you make when your frustrated, not an "uh".

i cant really give you an actual sound because if i say like in the word stick' you would say steeeck

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

What about Oasis, Blur, The Sex Pistols, Rancid...heavy British accents everywhere!

When I'm at work, I can't understand anything someone from up north asks me. I ask them to repeat what they said and slower. Anything from native brommie upwards goes right over my head to be honest. It's just a load mumble if yer ask me.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

OK.
    So American's English Accent came from the British English.
    How did American's English come about?

From what I'm getting, the British colonized America. When they did, they spoke British English. When then Indians learned English from the British, they had an accent. The Indians' accent of British English is how the American English Accent came to be. The American English Accent became the standard used by dictionaries as the proper pronounciations of English words.

Therefore, anybody speaking with the American English Accent is said to be speaking: "Proper Dictionary English With No Accent".
    Anybody speaking the original British English is said to NOT be speaking the proper dictionary standard pronounciation, but speaking: "British Accented English".

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

I think the stereotypical american accent actually came from the Irish.

American English is Americanised Oxford English. British English these days is nothing like Oxford English. Oxford English is dead to all but the Queen I feel.

8. that's because "Standard American" is the natural way to pronounce modern english,
    take that London, Liverpool, Manchester, etc...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

http://www.fact-index.com/a/am/american_english.html
    http://www.bartleby.com/68/97/997.html

9. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

vslayer

why?

come here

on second thoughts dont, we like our sheep left alone

10. how did you expect them to speak, in "Standard American"?

No really, how did you expect them to speak, in KJV with "thee's" & "thou's" or Elizabethan English like Shakespeare?

check here:
    http://www.bible-researcher.com/english.html
    http://ise.uvic.ca/Library/SLTnoframes/literature/languagesubj.html

technically, they speak British English dialects, whereas, we speak American English dialects

11. alain du hast mich Registered Senior Member

how can you people talk about a British accent?

each different town has its own accent
    and there is also the difference between the high class accent (spoken by lords and actors) and the normal accent

12. vslayer Registered Senior Member

damn, ya got me

i speak words how it says to pronounce them in the oxford(english version) its not poncy, but its how its supoosed to be said

13. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

you dont understand

its not in the writing or the speaking its in the translating between the 2.

see when you look at the dictionary and see an "i" you prounounce it the way your culture has taught you to prounounce "i"

when i read it i say it the way my culture has taught me
    when a yank sees it they say it there way and the same with a brit

we are all prounouncing the word exactly the same its just encoded differently for each culture

14. vslayer Registered Senior Member

your just jealous that you donmt have as many sheep as me

15. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

OK I GOT IT

Many many years ago before America was colonized, the British spoke Old British English.
    The Old British English that they spoke was the standard English.
    When they colonized America, they brought their standard Old British English with them, and taught it to the Indians.
    When the Indians learned Old British English, they began speaking the Old British English with an Indian accent.
    Colonists that grew up in America, and never been to Britain, were only exposed to the Old British English an Indian accent.
    The Old British English with an Indian accent became Old American English.
    The Old American English evolved into what we now know as American English.
    American English became the "standard English."
    The Old British English Evolved into what we now know as British English.
    British English became "English with a British accent."

Last edited: Oct 22, 2004
  16. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

OOT> I really like british accents
    the film Dog Soldiers has a wide flavour of those

besides it's a really cool film about british spec ops fighting werewolves in the forests of Scotland

17. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Coolskill

Language is like music or art in this regard. It gets passed on to different people and they add their own spin to it. It maybe spoken one way and then adapted by others and personalized or altered heavily because the original pronounciations and tongue were too foriegn.

I mean have you tried to speak another language? You don't speak it like the natives, instead you speak it through the tone of your language. To speak foriegn languages in their native tongue one has to immitate (i.e Spanish...when I try to speak spanish like a Mexican I have to almost comically take on a Mexican tone and roll out my r's, same with Russian, Japanese, Chinese etc)

In India there are over 700 languages and not all are unique languages...most of them are heavily modded main languages adapted by people. 2 different villages can have 2 different languages which are derived from one language but adapted to such a degree by each village that they take on their own roles as unique languages (i.e English and Jive talk (ebonics))

18. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

do you guys know how many different accents are just in england?

2 different STREETS there can have different accents, so how do you think that ANY country could have the "correct" english?????

19. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

Little known factoid- a part of Northumbria is in the record books as having the most dialects within the smallest area. I think its 6 each only a few miles from the other.

Now when you have that many different dialects, think how many slightly different accents you have.

20. neoclassical Banned Banned

The English developed their accent by talking around cocks, since as you know all Englishmen are gay.

Better question is: how did the land of the Angles and Saxons break down into this cultural mishmash that's as irritatingly self-righteous as America?

21. Roman Banned Banned

It is weird how some musicians "adopt" American accents when the sing. Shirley Manson of Garbage has such an incomphensibly thick Scottish accent when she talks, but her lyrics are almost crystal clear and "lack an accent."

I wonder how that happens.

22. vslayer Registered Senior Member

id say that she has an american-australian accent when singing

23. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

Hahaha. I assume youve been watching too many Hugh grant films.
    As for Anglo saxons, it broke down because 1) there were still some Celts lef, 2) it got taken over by more germanic people, the normans, and 3) it imported lots of people because it needed them. And then it conquered large parts of the world, with some help from the Celts, and suffered the inevitable blowback that occurs when you have an empire: the subjects move in. I cant think immediately of any empire that hasnt happened to.