Humans not smarter than animals In down and under , or all over in the world

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by arauca, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Hear! Hear!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

The post above this one was well thought out and covers the topic quite nicely.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. dlorde Registered Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. dlorde Registered Member

Oops, I may have killed the thread...

<sigh> the highs and the lows of having the last word :scratchin:

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Peregrine Registered Member

to OP:

I can't believe no one picked at this:

Websters:

Smart:

: very good at learning or thinking about things

: showing intelligence or good judgment

: behaving or talking in a rude or impolite way : showing a lack of respect for someone

Intelligence:

: the ability to learn or understand things or to deal with new or difficult situations

So, first, there needs to be a distinction as to what we are discussing. The OP both states 'smart' and 'intelligent.'

However, humans win in any case.

8. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

In both cases (dolphins and chimpanzees), sexual activity is used for reinforcement of pack bonds. Like humans, the females of these species are physically capable of copulation when not in estrus (not "in heat," i.e., not capable of becoming pregnant). This is highly unusual among mammals, in fact I can't identify another species that has it, although I've read that there are others. (To be clear, there are two species of chimpanzees, both of which practice "sex as social bonding," and almost 40 species of dolphins--and I have no idea whether all of them have this combination of psychology and physiology.)

In humans, out-of-estrus copulation serves a different purpose. Our young take much longer to mature than the young of other mammals. Baby whales become adults in two years, baby elephants in five. Our babies require intense care, training and supervision for a decade and a half. If only their mothers were responsible for this, they'd be exhausted and probably wouldn't have time to provide enough food for the family.

The ability of human females to copulate at any time, even when pregnant and nursing, is an encouragement to the children's father to stay close to the hearth and participate in the challenging job of raising them.

In addition we have another nearly unique characteristic: humans remain healthy, alive, and capable of contributing to the support of the community, for many years after our children are raised and on their own--even after our women become physically incapable of having more progeny. This provides our species with the resource of grandparents, a second generation of elders, unencumbered by children of their own, who can pitch in and give parents a break, contributing to the raising of their own grandchildren, and the children of the entire community.

9. pmb Banned Banned

That man doesn't sound like he has a good grasp of what one means when it is said that humans are smarter than animals.

10. dlorde Registered Member

Elephants, dolphins, and some primates do this too. Those are just what comes to mind, I'd be surprised if there weren't quite a few more.

11. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Well, I did say, "nearly unique." Elephants, dolphins and some primates (including our species) are also, arguably, the most intelligent mammals.

12. Mazulu Banned Banned

Don't forget mice, pan-dimensional mice.

13. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Yes, many species of rodent are highly intelligent.

Mice and rats are scavengers, and intelligence is an asset for a scavenger, especially those who live around human habitation and need to know how to sneak into houses, open containers, etc.

Many bears (ursids) and raccoons (procyonids) also choose the easy life of eating our leftovers--or in some cases our groceries. They're both pretty good at breaking into houses: the bears by knocking down a door or breaking a window, the raccoons by finding sneaky little entry holes or even chimneys.

Raccoons are rapidly becoming more common in the cities than out in the country.