I can't ignore a moderator, why?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by Beer w/Straw, Nov 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

I'm meaning the time coordinate in general relativity...

And time in everything.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
  2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. OnlyMe Valued Senior Member

Even following both discussions, that was well camouflaged.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

State more...

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Uh... okay, maybe now I see where I'm getting lost... but to clarify:

Isn't it still "up in the air" so to speak about exactly what time actually is? I thought these were still in the "hypothesis" stage?

8. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

Can you see these are philosophical questions at least. That they don't belong in Physics an Math.

So can the f*cking thread be moved! Otherwise sciforums is nothing but puke.

And yes, it's not worth posting here unless to troll if something is not done.

:EDIT:

Oh wait, you and the other moderator's must like puke cause you've been here for so long.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
  9. Bells Staff Member

You also suggested the OP use the report function if someone is wrong. If people apply this to themselves in any situation, then the proverbial can of worms becomes swimming pool size can of worms.
    How so?

Why so?

The whole point of this site (and yours, for that matter) is to discuss and if people are wrong, then others correct them and we dance to and fro. Certainly, sometimes that dance becomes a boxing match, but that is the nature of forums.

Unless Nike are now making clogs, we have nothing to worry about.

Yes, that is often reported and that is fine. It provides us a chance to go over posts or threads we may not be reading (it is impossible for us to read every thread and post every day) and review it to see if it does belong in the Fringe section of the forum.

My comment was more towards what some have taken to doing, such as reporting posts because they want something edited in that post or because they believe the person is simply wrong about something.

As for who to PM, the new site does make finding that a tad tricky. Usually, what we used to suggest was that if someone had an issue with a moderator, they PM that moderator directly, if that fails, then PM a senior member of staff with their complaint. Stryder, Tiassa and James R usually deal with these complaints, provide links to the problem posts, etc. If that fails or you feel that has not gotten anywhere or where you wanted it to go, then start a thread about the issue. The list of staff, along with links to profiles, etc, can be found here: http://www.sciforums.com/members/?type=staff

10. OnlyMe Valued Senior Member

Thanks for the clarification Bells.

I personally, don't ever take things so seriously that it keeps me up at night. In the future if something seems way off base I may use it more frequently. Any Mod can let me know if I get carried away.

That said the particular thread that raised the issue here, in my opinion should stay where it is. Yes it has strayed a bit far at times into philosophy, but it is at the same time (no pun intended here) an important issue to physics and even math. You cannot exclude a philosophical approach to some issues without stifling the creative process. Most practicing physicists indulge all of the time.

And no one is forced to follow any discussion.

11. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

How is it philosophical? Are you saying that time is not a thing?

Some, like Stephen Hawking, would disagree with you on that...

Just because we do not know for certain what time is, that does not make it any less factual science.

Then again... given your recent comments... I'm starting to think this is less and less about any actual concern with this particular topic, and more a disdain for the moderation staff...

12. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

If I thought it was relevant to respond in the thread I wouldn't hove posted there.

But of course, like every other moderator, it is more convenient to dismiss me as stupid.

13. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

If I was going to dismiss you as stupid, I wouldn't have bothered responding to your post here at all... after all, did I, or did I not, reach out to you specifically to try and find out what was going on?

However, if it's simply some silly little game you wish to play, then this shall be treated as such; as there doesn't appear to be any legitimate grievance here, I think it's high time we lay this thread to rest.

14. Bells Staff Member

I agree with you 100%.

With all due respect Beer, it took us about 2 pages to figure out who it was you were even talking about. I don't think anyone knew who you meant, if you were serious or what this thread was actually about. It was only when you finally provided a link that one poster managed to guess who you were actually talking about and what thread you had meant.

If we were going to dismiss you as stupid, we'd have shut down this thread instantly instead of trying to draw it out of you to find out who you meant and what and why.

I have said this repeatedly now, and you keep disregarding it. If you have a problem with someone being wrong, then please, by all means, provide the correct information. If the individual, this time it appears to be a moderator, is ignoring facts, or the truth, then point this out to them. If you think they are there simply to troll you or they are being deliberately obtuse, try and take it up with them first and if that does not work, then file a complaint with a senior member of staff about their behaviour.

I get that you feel the thread has gone too far from its original course and is now delving into the philosophical nature of "Time" and you feel (very strongly) that it should be moved. I agree with OnlyMe above in that you cannot completely ignore and exclude a philosophical approach. It is the nature of the beast. If you disagree with this, then ignore the philosophical discussions taking place in the thread and discuss pure Maths and Physics. This may force the thread to where you feel it should belong.

Perhaps I am wrong, but you seem intent on trying to force a slanging match here and you are accusing us of doing things we have not even done. No one is dismissing your complaint. We are trying to provide you with solutions to your complaint. We have also attempted to provide you with better ways to handle such complaints in the future, if the need arises. But if all you are interested is having a bit of a dig at someone and abusing them because that is what you feel like doing, then I am sorry, but I am not interested. If you have a complaint, you have been given various ways to deal with said complaint.

Pantaz likes this.
  15. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

Yeah, I'm silly for mastering in physics, doing my course and reading bullshiit.

I'm allowed to be angry by wrong mathematics.

16. youreyes amorphous ocean Valued Senior Member

And what if this moderator faces no justice for her own words?

And what if complaints about this moderator fall blind and deaf to ear of said senior members?

And what if this moderator has so much power that she can get away with harassments on other members and the senior member knows about this, yet does nothing?

What than? What would you suggest?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Ruthless queen, she cast a spell on them, the law has shattered, and rivers of blood have flown under her kingdom.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
  17. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

Bell's, what if the argument is there for any high-school student for see and wrong. And yet, for the moderator boasts their omnipotence on irrelevancies?

I've already indicated such, but have been ignored. I'm a worthless human being you see.

I'M NOTHING BUT I'M A PIECE OF TRASH MYSELF BECAUSE I WANT SOMETHING BETTER

18. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

Go for it! Defend Bull'y;s post 28!

Come on moderators! He's only bragged it as a mathematical proof a dozen times.

19. OnlyMe Valued Senior Member

That is not true!

I have sometimes been irritated by some of your posts, sometimes entertained and sometimes probably even been lead to think about things I would have otherwise overlooked completely.

I hope you don't take this wrong but,

There have been a few times in the past when a discussion, being generous, has set me on edge.., and then I come across one of your posts and whether what you say makes a difference, I almost always wind up with a bit of a quiet grin trying to figure out what is hidden behind the mask of your avatar. Whether it is a photo of you or something you pulled off the net somewhere does not matter.., it almost always puts me in a better place.

20. OnlyMe Valued Senior Member

Try to look at Billy's position from the context of the email reply tashja received from Profesor Albert, in Post #327

Basically saying the argument is valid and has a historical basis, but is incomplete or falls short of proving time is unreal. This is an issue and debate that has more than just two sides and divides...

21. Bells Staff Member

Then correct the wrong. Provide the correct mathematics. Stir the debate.

Then still provide the correct answers.

You can only control what you post and if you have provided the correct information, why is that such a bad thing? Are you afraid Billy's posts or anyone else's for that matter, is going to taint you and make you look like you do not know what you are talking about?

I don't even know how or why you are even saying such things. Who has called you a piece of trash?

No one is defending anyone's posts.

As I noted repeatedly, if he is wrong, then counter his "proof" with the correct information and allow people to make up their own minds.

Perhaps things are not as they seem or as you seem to believe...

And I have provided information on how to proceed with complaints about a moderator. Perhaps you should follow those steps?

I find dealing with reality to be much more refreshing and worthwhile. You should give it a go! See how you enjoy it.

22. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

This thread is going exactly nowhere...

Beer - if the information being posted is wrong, as you claim, then correct it. If the corrected information is being dismissed, feel free to put in a report, pm a mod, or pm an admin... but be bloody specific about it. Whining about it as though your dog just died isn't going to solve anything...

23. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

OK, I will provide something.

Give me some time, however. Alcohol and posting don't exactly work together...

I'm already wanting too make comment, but that 0.01% of my brain is telling me to wait.

Plus drinking more and listening to Lady Gaga seems a better choice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.