"if you can’t make your opponent’s point for them, you don’t truly grasp the issue."

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by DaveC426913, Nov 12, 2016.

1. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

A very interesting article. It's ostensibly about social media, but boy does it ring true here.

'I implore you to seek out your opposite. When you hear someone cite “facts” that don’t support your viewpoint don’t think “that can’t be true!” Instead consider, “Hm, maybe that person is right? I should look into this.”'

https://medium.com/@SeanBlanda/the-other-side-is-not-dumb-2670c1294063#.9fyfw5wyi

I'm going to try to keep this close-by, and try to heed it, when I read/post on fora.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. sculptor Valued Senior Member

from the nam days
    a rip from Kipling:
    If you can keep your head when all around you are losing theirs
    Perhaps, you do not understand the true nature of the problem

Xelasnave.1947 likes this.
  4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

I think I said recently that I like to see how the other player sees the board. And I don't mean just in chess.

If fighting is your game take time to shape up in front of the mirror and work out where you could hit the opponent before you.
    Can you find the weakness your opponent may find.
    In serious argument....
    I believe if you want to win you really need to know what your opponent sees, they must have reason to believe they are right, what is it they see, could you be missing what they may rely upon as a quick devastating point you failed to consider.

I think there is something along these lines in the art of war...

And if for no other reason it is neat to know and understand how someone else views the world.

Everyone has a personalised reality.

My friend into tarot cards.
    So easy to dismiss him as a nut but its interesting to try and see how he actually views the world.

I find talking to the ladies similar, men are all to ready to tell them how things are and don't listen to what they have to say. They only want to impress..that's the way of things....

Boring....

Most men don't realise most or rather many women like astrology.

It does not get an airing cause the man dismisses it as rubbish at the first hint.

But they enjoy it so it makes them happy when you go along with them and let them guess your star sign.
    Next time encourage the talk and most of the time you will have a new fan.

And its fun...they don't want to talk about cars and football.

Same with talking to folk listen to their story and most folk do have a story but get shut down because we like to tell them how wonderful we are, our job is or some ranking talk ...and you never get to hear their story.

I love talking to strangers and I always ask about their hobby.

They will have one or tell you how they have no time because...and off they go.

Anyways I think folk would do well to act upon the advice given in the article.

Thanks Dave good read.

Alex

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.