Inconsistent ban policy?

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by funkstar, Dec 29, 2011.

1. AlphaNumeric Fully ionized Registered Senior Member

Let's be clear here. I don't think I'm a genius or all knowing or Einstein, despite any of your insinuations. I do think I know a fair bit of some bits (notice I don't say all or everything) of physics and mathematics and I'd say there's plenty of evidence to demonstrate that to any reasonable person. As such I have justified confidence in my understanding of some things.

Some of those things happen to be things you like to wax lyrical about. The fact I'm confidence, with good reason, about some of these things isn't the same thing as arrogance. I also happen to think, again with good reason, I know and understand more physics and maths than you. I also happen to think, again with good reason, you know and understand less than you proclaim.

Let's actually look at the dictionary definition of arrogance : an attitude of superiority manifested in an overbearing manner or in presumptuous claims or assumptions

Now let's consider your behaviour. You present yourself as knowledgeable on material which you are not. You regularly needlessly overcomplicate things, such as trying to tell 14 year olds about commutation relations. You believe yourself knowledgeable enough due to pop science reading to handle undergraduate degrees with reasonable ease, when you can't do many high school level things. You write lengthy essays no one cares about with needless algebra you copied or mangled together to present an image of "I am doing real physics!".

So if arrogance is being overbearing and having an unjustified believe of ones superiority I don't think you're in a position to be throwing stones from your triple glazed glass house.

I think it's a little hypocritical that you call my behaviour out of order after mutilating my name (which is an infraction worthy thing in itself) using a certain 4 letter word many consider more offensive than the f word.

I understand you're wound up, the fact you've fired off a few posts in quick succession is always a sign you're becoming more agitated and thinking of further snipes to post, but you're really not helping yourself behaving like that.

I don't think you're in a position to be evaluating people's adherence to the scientific mentality given your continual dishonesty and inability to accept corrections. Furthermore my posts here reflect little to nothing of what work I actually do. Today I've done a considerable amount of quantum mechanics work but no one would know that here since I don't speak about it.

I can't think of a single action I've done as moderator which has had anything to do with Guest. And your sentence construction is terrible.

Ah the old "If two people have similar dislike of me then surely they are the same person. How else could I explain more than one person not liking me?" hack chestnut. Funk doesn't like you much either, do you think he's a sock of me? What about Cpt? Prom? Trippy? Alex? QH? Rpenner? Perhaps we're all in constant email communication plotting against you? You did after all accuse me of discussing you with Rpenner by PM or informing QH he was being talked about. Neither of which was true but I understand how you want to develop your persecution complex.

Again, your sentence construction is terrible. Secondly, when was the last time you and I exchanged PMs other than when I told you to stop posting crap under your Mister guise? Saying 'every time' implies that we regularly talk about Guest, which we don't. We hardly communicate by PM at all anyway. And saying I 'quickly changed the subject" is also dishonest.

If we have ever discussed Guest by PM then it isn't regularly and hasn't occurred in considerable time. Furthermore I wouldn't have any need to change the subject, I am more than capable of answering any accusation you make with a direct response, just as I've responded to the accusations you made about me PM'ing or emailing other members about you. Guest is not my sock. I am not Guest's sock. I am not anyone's sock. No one is my sock. To the best of my knowledge none of the people who hold you in a dim light have or are socks. I know you're quite happy to register multiple accounts and misrepresent yourself but some of us do not need to do that. As my posts show I am more than capable of handling you with just this account.

You're becoming more and more desperate to throw something, anything, at me in the hopes it'll stick. Have you now given up trying to claim you only made a little mistake or two in your threads on the Dirac equation and Lagrangians, is that it? Are you now looking for something else to try to distract people away from your issues? Is lying about PM exchanges between us and accusations of sock accounts what you're going to try for a page or two of discussion before moving onto something else?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Reiku Banned Banned

Blah blah... ... ... blah blah blah.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. AlphaNumeric Fully ionized Registered Senior Member

How mature of you. You accuse me of things you have no evidence for (because they aren't true). You insinuate false things about PM conversations you claim we've had. You complain about my behaviour while swearing at me and calling me names. Do you think calling people names is funny? I hope not, it's the sort of thing I'd think a 12 year old was immature for doing, never mind a 27 year old.

And now you don't want to listen when I lay out your dishonesty and hypocrisy for you. You said how your comments about me were 'a reflection on the obvious behaviour' but when people apply that to your behaviour you don't want to listen or you get irate. And unlike you I give lengthy explanations why your behaviour reflects on you in the way it does. No doubt you'll now get irked that I'm calling you a hypocrite, despite it being a reflection on the obvious behaviour.

You need to learn to handle criticism a little better. Few people like to hear negative things about themselves but most people learn at a relatively young age that they can grow and develop as people if they listen to criticism from time to time. This seems to be a critical stage of growing up you skipped over.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Reiku Banned Banned

Mature, are you seriously giving me a lecture on maturity?

After the way I've been treated the last few days, no one here has a right to question me on maturity.

8. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Because clearly your actions are everybody elses fault.

9. Chipz Banned Banned

I've been watching Reiku pop in and out for a long time, from my perspective it seems like Reiku has potentially serious issues. It would probably be in his own best interest to be banned. I imagine internet feuds consume his life when he's given an opportunity to be involved, it's as if he's compulsively consumed by proving he's right. Many people obsessive about being right over time at least learn their topic well, he, unfortunately is also arrogant. I'm not calling for a ban...just putting in my two cents.

10. AlphaNumeric Fully ionized Registered Senior Member

Like I've said many times, you need to learn to take some responsibility. You are demonstrably dishonest. It's so obvious that now it's not just us physicist/mathematicians who aren't impressed by you but general members, perhaps partly due to the fact your banning from the maths/physics forum has pushed you into other forums and you're coming to their attention more.

You like to try to turn it around on people like myself, accusing me of having a difficult childhood or a personality issue but the common denominator in all of this is you. I think plenty of people here are hacks but most of them at least have the good sense to either shut their trap or keep their nonsense to the appropriate forum and clearly present it as "I don't understand the mainstream but here's my take on....". Look at wlminex, he has even more trouble constructing coherent sentences than you but even he has the sense to mostly listen to comments about "If this is your own take on things, keep it to the pseudo forums". Likewise Sylwester. Even Farsight, someone who claims he's done work worth multiple Nobel Prizes has the good sense not to try to talk mathematics because he knows that despite all his reading of pop science books he can't do any of the details.

Now while I consider Farsight dishonest it isn't anywhere near the level of you. Farsight has regular moments of hypocrisy or double standards and even claims he's more capable than he really is but he doesn't claim it with regards to mainstream work. He doesn't say "I can do all of those calculations!" or "I can do gauge invariance in spinor models!". He instead phrases his claims in a way which makes it harder to nail his trousers to the mast, by saying he's got 'understanding' or 'insight'. And while he might like to tell people he's a genius at electromagnetism he wouldn't be daft enough to say "I can do Maxwell's equations, let me teach you". He knows he can't do the maths, he's at least honest in that regard.

You, on the other hand, can't do the maths but you want to convince people you can. And your response to being told not to is immature and dishonest. You could decide to just say "Fine, I'm leaving" (and actually leave!) or say "Fine, I'll not talk about it if no one wants to listen!" or "Okay, let's have an in-depth discussion of the details so that I can convince you and anyone else with doubts that I really can do this stuff. If you show I'm mistaken in that view then I'll revise my view". No, instead you assert your competency and ignore corrections and advice.

And people get tired of having to walk you through the same mistakes time and again. They (we!) get tired of you making the same type of posts again and again, ie "I know this...... what do you mean I was wrong multiple times! No I wasn't! **** you you ****!". A reasonable person would learn from such mistakes.

I can question your maturity because you do not act like a 27 year old. Your temper tantrums when you get riled up would, if I didn't know your age, make me think you were younger than 16. Now I am not friendly with you, by any stretch, but I don't call you names like "f*** face" or "Reiku**" (starred letters are n and t) or anything of the sort. I don't tell you to go **** yourself. Instead I do posts like this, where I explain why I reach a particular conclusion about your maturity or honesty or knowledge or general attitude. I have reasons to call you dishonest, reasons I stand by and will elaborate on. You have no reason to call anyone a name which involves inserting a certain 4 letter word into their name, other than you basically being immature.

This immaturity also affects your willingness to take people's advice. If you'd listened to comments and suggestions from people, including myself, a few years ago you really could be at the stage where you can do Fock space models of quantum mechanics or Lorentz transforms in special relativity, rather than just copying expressions from Wikipedia.

The person who your attitude is harming is you, assuming you're not living at home with your parents because your attitude is preventing you from getting a job and moving out. I hope that isn't the case. If your posts are a reflection of your scientific knowledge you've learnt nothing in the last 4 years. If you work 4 hours a day 5 days a week for say 40 weeks a year that's 3200 hours you've wasted. That's about 20 solid weeks. That's enough time to do a PhD! I know, I did one in that time frame! Or an entire degree, including a foundation year (which you'd obviously be in need of). If I devoted that much time to something I'd want to show some improvement at the end of it. That's probably more time than I spent working during my entire undergrad + masters (PhD I worked harder, 6~8 hours 7 days a week for most of the 3.5 years).

Hopefully you've achieved something with yourself in the 4 years, as you claim this is your hobby. Hopefully you've spent the majority of your 'work time' doing something constructive. Because if you haven't then wasting such a vast time on a 'hobby' really is hindering you, you should be spending your time advancing your life. It's one thing to waste time on a hobby if your main focus, ie a job, family etc, is going fine. It's a terrible thing to be wasting time learning nothing in physics if you haven't even sorted your life out properly yet.

Again, this isn't me throwing insults, it's me giving you honest advice. Ask yourself, in 4 more years do you really want to be as clueless as you are now? Do you still want to be trying to convince people on forums that you're able to do undergrad material and then failing A Level homework problems? If you don't then you need to change your attitude so you start being more productive with your hobby. If you do then you need to change your attitude so you get rid of the personality disorder that would mean you have.

He has definitely Facebook stalked me because in a previous sock account he PM'd me on this forum with a link to my Facebook page (which is about 4 years out of date anyway) and some comment about my appearance. He recently made a comment about how others might find out about his real life persona and mentioned Facebook. I'd say that implies more about his approach to things than he might have realised. I know Reiku's real name (his link to my Facebook page included his Facebook account name!) but I really don't care enough about him to even look at his page.

Yes, even when it's categorically proven he's wrong he'll almost definitely make an excuse about "Oh, it's just a minor typo" or "You're nit picking". A good scientist, in fact a good human being, knows when to say "I was wrong, thanks for explaining that to me" and will actually mean it. Reiku doesn't show that kind of maturity.

I wouldn't be surprised if he complains the way I'm 'treating him' with posts like this are immature but criticising someone isn't a sufficient condition for an action to be immature. Unfortunately he views any criticism as being mistreated or being singled out. Maybe one day he'll learn to accept criticism and to learn from it. Maybe.

11. Reiku Banned Banned

Most of the time, you do nit-pick. But neither here nor the point there.

I am terminating this discussion now.

12. AlphaNumeric Fully ionized Registered Senior Member

Reiku, you, me and clearly everyone else here knows the problems highlighted in your posts aren't 'nit picking', they are far too frequent and far too fundamental to fall into that category. Why do you bother trying to lie like that, when you know the people reading this thread have seen many of your posts for themselves.

If you really believe that the mistakes you make are just little errors which can pretty much be ignored then you're ignorantly delusional. There isn't any other way of putting it. It would mean you're profoundly ignorant of the actual physics/maths and it would mean you ignore the vast in-depth explanations/corrections which people (mostly myself) have done over the years.

Now before you complain how me saying that is bullying or uncivil please note that I'm not saying that is what you must be. I'm saying that's what you must be if you believe what you say. I'm actually giving you some credit and assuming you're just dishonest, rather than delusional too. You're obviously sufficiently lucid to form coherent sentences (terrible grammar and spelling aside), unlike certain people here, and you have sufficient memory/reasoning capabilities to at least buzzword match when you're asked about something and you run off to find a YouTube video on it. You know you do this so getting indignant when others point out how obvious it is is dishonest but at least it isn't delusional. When you start believing your own lies, that's when the men in white coats and large doses of Lithium ...... Lithium something or other (Carbonate? It's used as anti psychosis medication) and Xanax are around the corner to try to nail your feet to reality.

Please, don't drink your own koolaid.

13. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

Off topic...

Lithium (I think any lithium salt would do) is a mood stabiliser, used for bipolar disorder (although Medscape lists postpartum or steroid induced psychosis as an off-label use).
    Large doses are a bad idea. You have to start slow, and monitor blood levels because the therapeutic window (the gap between adequate treatment and toxicity) is small.

Alprazolam (Xanax) is a benzo, an antianxiety drug with some sedative effect. Great stuff! But tolerance and dependence develops after a while.

Antipsychotics (eg respiridone, olanzapine, quetiapine, haloperidol, clozapine) might be useful for the kind of delusion you suspect in Reiku, but they wouldn't (shouldn't?) be prescribed unless the delusions were having a major functional impact on Reiku's life. For people who believe odd things but who aren't distressed about it and aren't at risk of seriously harming themselves or others, treatment is worse than the condition.

I'm also not sure if Reiku's alleged state of mind is properly a delusion anyway. The perceived disorder might be a problem of cognition, of formal thought, of judgment, or some combination. It might also be what the psychiatrists call a personality disorder, but I don't know much about yet. I'm not even sure that they're useful labels.

(I'm on an 8-week mental health rotation in clinical med, so I need to know at least the basics of this stuff.)

14. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

It could also simply be the effect of someone who is attempting to grasp concepts way out of their realm of understanding and convincing themselves that they have a solid understanding of said concepts...

15. funkstar ratsknuf Valued Senior Member

Arise, oh, Thread from the Deep!

Ahem. So.

If Aethelwulf really is Reiku (which warrants mod investigation) let me remind you that every minute he is allowed to post here, every reply he secures, are fuel for his delusions. Should it turn out to be Reiku (which seems very likely), then, in my opinion, it is unethical to allow him to post. Indeed, very much akin to mocking the disabled.

16. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

If and when we confirm this is Reiku, he will be banned and all his posts deleted.

17. Balerion Banned Banned

Is it not already obvious? It's the exact same posting style. And the fights he gets into with AN now are indistinguishable from the ones AN and Reiku got into.

18. Gustav Banned Banned

the wise and responsible prefer to err on the side of caution maintaining protocol
    retards on the other hand jackboot around in circles, gesticulating spastically, their shrieks accompanied by sprays of spittle.

19. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

Ban 'em all and let God sort 'em out!

20. Balerion Banned Banned

Just wanted to point out that Aethelwulf has been banned for being Reiku's sock-puppet. Just saw it on the ban list.

/thread

21. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Yes. Aethelwulf used an IP address that was confirmed as an address previously used by Reiku. That, combined with several other considerations, led to his permanent banning.