Industrial Society Destroys Mind and Environment

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by sushil yadav, Jul 20, 2005.

1. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

Meh not worth explaining. I'm a verbal mess sometimes, pardon.

True enough, what exactly is the problem here though? Just that people are emotionally incompetent?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Grantywanty Registered Senior Member

I think the problem has been that emotions have been judged as antithetical to the good. Religions and rationalist theories have tended to assume we must control portions of ourselves with other parts of ourelves. This has ended up focusing on the emotions and people/creatures associated with strong emotions: sometimes women, darker skinned people, animals, the earth itself. All things considered non rational are the enemy even intra-psychically. This has caused a disconnect and recklessness. Unfortunately today the simply bombardment of our senses and minds via technology and media interrupts the experience of and controls the experience of emotions. Our intuition is even more cut off and controllable. (there are other trends out there, in fact large portions of Western society and renewed pagan societies are cutting through the judgements about the evil of emotions and desires and bodies). There is a connection between emotions and holistic approaches. As one beneficial example. What the linear mind can't calculate is often sensed by the emotions.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

Hmm.. I don't necessarily think so, but that what is actually the struggle to establish their most gainful context results in things appearing that way. For instance, if a judge hates his neighbor and his neighbor appears in his court... it's probably best to change venue such that the person has a chance at a fair trial.

Lots and lots of scenarios come to pass wherein it's likely best to minimize emotions in order to maintain order. This looks as if emotion gets a bad rap, and maybe that's true but to me it's just establishing the boundaries of emotion's utility in the overall stability of societies.

Crap I gotta run, will do the rest later.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

As rationality seems to tend to be short-circuited by strong emotions, or more nefariously tends to bend perception to support the seemingly (from other perspectives) arbitrary emotional premise... it would be easy to look at this and say "emotions are bad" (or antithetical to the good if you must).

That aside, who is doing the judging with such a broad stroke? That they do so lends credence to the argument that it's "mentally cost effective" for them to do so. People "believe" what is mentally cost effective for them. Hypocracy can simply not occur to you if you have a high stake (or extremely low cost) in some aspect of your world-view.

The mechanics of denial are pretty obvious from this perspective. If I'm a gardener for instance, who might have done a crappy job on your whatever, it takes a lot more mental effort to own up to my mistake than it does to fix it. I value my time, and the effort it would take to do fix it more than I do admitting to the mistake.

Bah, tangent boy strikes again.

Regardless, it would be shallow for people to write off emotions as "bad" - but there's no negative repurcussion for doing so most of the time and if somehow you got that impression, that'll be "true" to you unless you're a really skeptical prick, it doesn't stick in your head, or circumstances evolve that motivate you to re-evaluate it.

Well from this I can only say, the pendulum swings and gravity sucks it back to the middle. To me it just seems like a natural progression of thought that will swing back and forth as long as there are minds to swing it. It's sort of retarded though because it's pointless to find emotions as "good or bad" without specifying a context. Without context they can be neither.

- and sorry if I'm missing the context, it's been a while and I was too lazy to re-read more than I thought sufficed to pick the ball up and throw it back to you.

8. Grantywanty Registered Senior Member

Then it's odd that the phrase 'negative emotions' generally passes uncriticized in almost any context or in discussion involving a wide range of paradigms.

9. Klippymitch Thinker Registered Senior Member

The Nature of a few Men is not the Nature of Man.

10. sushil yadav Registered Senior Member

Infinite growth and development on a tiny planet that is just 40,000 km in circumference?

Industrial Society is insane.

sushil_yadav
    ePhilosopher
    Corrupt
    ForeignPolicy

11. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

Industrial society cannot be sane or insane, only its members can be so individually. What you're really saying is that you can't cope with it and find it hopeless, professing your own insanity under the guise of exactly the opposite.

12. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

Well "negative emotions" is different from "emotions are negative". I thought you meant the latter no, as in "emotions are bad" as in "society says emotions are bad" or something like that I thought you said.

13. sushil yadav Registered Senior Member

Someone from the "Prozac Nation" is giving advice on insanity.

You need to get your head examined.

Give some advice to your own countrymen where the per capita consumption of psychiatric drugs is highest in the world.

Give some advice to your own countrymen where almost everyone seems to be on medication - where almost everyone seems to be surviving on prescription drugs, illegal drugs, alcohol, coffee or cigarettes.

"Growth Rate" - "Economy Rate" - "GDP"
    These are figures of "Ecocide".
    These are figures of "crimes against Nature".
    These are figures of "destruction of Ecosystems".
    These are figures of "Insanity, Abnormality and Criminality".

sushil_yadav
    ePhilosopher
    Corrupt
    ForeignPolicy

Last edited: Nov 20, 2007
  14. Grantywanty Registered Senior Member

You can't really have the positive without the negative. Or let me put this another way: how would you feel about someone who smiled all the time and found everything joyful, including, say, plagues, the death of your wife and so on.

It is like saying I want you only to have positive, not negative thoughts in your thinking. In fact this is often said, but I actually mean something broader. No sentence with 'not' 'no' 'never' 'without' and so on. Just as these are very helpful for thinking, so the 'negative' emotions are integral to living. In fact they are responses.

15. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

No offence, but you sound like a child.

16. sushil yadav Registered Senior Member

Humans have spent more than 99% of their time on earth in non-industrial societies.

Non-industrial society destroys ecosystems for food, clothing and shelter.
    Industrial society destroys ecosystems for food, clothing and shelter plus thousands of unnecessary consumer goods.

Industrial society destroys necessary things - animals, trees, air, water and land for making unnecessary things - consumer goods.

Non-industrial societies have sustained on earth for thousands of years.
    Industrial society has destroyed all ecosystems within 200 - 250 years.

"Growth Rate" - "Economy Rate" - "GDP"

These are figures of "Ecocide".
    These are figures of "crimes against Nature".
    These are figures of "destruction of Ecosystems".
    These are figures of "Insanity, Abnormality and Criminality".

Destroy consumerism......before it is too late.

Destroy Industrial Society......before it is too late.

sushil_yadav

Corrupt
    ePhilosopher
    ForeignPolicy

17. Carcano Valued Senior Member

Ok, you can start with YOUR computer, phone, car, bicycle, etc.

Always start with yourself.

Seriously, the biggest industrial problems are noise and pollution. Noise is highly under-rated.

Once we moved to electric vehicles 70% of the negative effects will vanish.

18. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

My electric vehicle will be run by perpetual motion over-unity power, and it will synthesize the sound of a deep-breathing 440 cubic inches with duel carbs, and I said, carbs, not those pussy fuel injectors.

19. kmguru Staff Member

I bet, he will ignore your suggestions. Do, as I tell you, but do not as I do....

Noise is definitely a problem along with light. People do not sleep well as there are lights even in the bedroom...like those LEDs from toothbrushes to other electronic gadgets....

When I am out of town staying in a hotel in any of the major cities, I plug my ear to sleep as I can hear the excessive background noise.

20. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

And if you can't hear a car coming you might get run over by it, too.

21. Carcano Valued Senior Member

Yes, I have a Starbucks across the street streaming light into my windows all night...and I sometimes wear earplugs due to traffic noise.

The key to comfort is to run the plugs under water for a moment. Makes them softer and easier to insert.

22. BahamutGoldFish Registered Member

Just, a second before I read the thread, I saw the title and the first thing that crept into my mind was "Industrialized society without Christianity destroys Mind and Environment."

The world is becoming increasingly godless. Whether or not it helps with the environment or not is a matter of technical debate.

However, Industrialized nations do not destroy the Mind. Industrialized Nations without God's blessing over us destroys the nation. For some reason we have been blessed. In America it is said that George Washington knew we would win the war not because of our strength, but because of our righteousness.

What was George Washington's advice for Americans to win the war? Stop cussing.

First President of the United States told us to stop cussing, and he thought it was a pretty important wisdom to share during war time.

23. Carcano Valued Senior Member

So whats a God fearin Christian like yerself doing with a name like Bahamut???