Is Driving A Privilege?

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by darksidZz, Jun 4, 2007.

?

Answer

Poll closed Jun 11, 2007.
  1. Yes

76.9%
  2. No

23.1%
  1. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

Most nations that issue driving licenses require a basic driving proficiency test to be taken beforehand, including the US. The worst I've heard of is the Indian driving test. It involves being able to:

1. Start the car
    2. Drive it in a straight line for a hundred meters
    3. Make a turn at the end

And bingo, you're a qualified driver!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Well, Sam, that's pretty easy when all you do is go to big metro areas that have subways and such. But see, in that case, to say that you've "traveled" on umpty-eleven continents without a car, it just means that you went ONLY to places where such transportation was available. I.e, you didn't see shit of most of those continents.

Baron Max

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

oh right thx,

well yeah uk has a driving test that you have to pass, i havent passed my test yet, (in fact i havent got a licence) because for the simple reason i am petrified to learn to drive, i see the sort of people that drive and i dont want to be in an accident, it just scares me.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

spend 15 minutes in a dmv and you will say driving is a privlage and should stay that way

8. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

whats a dmv?

9. fishtail Registered Senior Member

Then you had plenty of money to pay for public transport or worked close to where you lived, try living in the country 10 miles from the nearest shop,
    supermarkets killed off all the local shops.
    About 20% of people that live in villages commute to work because affordable
    housing in the big cities is beyond their wallet.
    You want to take away driving rights? then change the world first.

10. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

As you can see fishtail understands the situation better than most. If you don't have the innate RIGHT to drive then most of you would be dead or homeless. This is why driving isn't a privilege anymore, it could've been when things were less difficult to get around to, but now with modern society it can no longer be termed PRIVILEGE. This is a sick term applied to things people want to have control over... let's destroy the shackles of the DMV and make them all learn the true meaning of real work. They sit behind their desks and avoid doing manual labour so they can pretend they're almighty, no more DMV!

Also by sitting behind the desk at the DMV wiseguy I've learned that driving isn't a privilege, it's a RIGHT!!!!!!!!

11. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

I waited a long time to drive too.....The longer you wait the more scared about it you get. I was terrified to start driving. After i got behind the wheel though I felt rather stupid...it is actually worse watching from the passenger seat then actually driving. I could not imagine not having my license now, it gives you freedom not to depend on anything or anyone.

12. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

it is silly because i have been offered free driving lessons and i can take my test for free aswell, so i might has well take the offer

13. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

Yes, and that freedom is an innate human RIGHT, not one that's a privilege. They shouldn't be able to take it away no matter what you do, even if you run someone down!

14. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

well they should be able to take it away if you are caught drinking and driving....and putting others in danger.

15. ashpwner Registered Senior Member

but if you can't do it responsably and you kill a child you SHOULD NOT BE ABLE TO DRIVE sigh your a jackass and we never said that you should take them away we just said that be dont belive its a right

16. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

i agree with you,

17. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

Imagine your lives without the ability to drive. Now pretend they've placed limits on your driving such as to be ridiculious, things like driving with a pet on the front seat, driving while drinking a coke... what if the vast majority of citizens decided these were offenses serious enough to revoke your drivers license? What about using a cell phone? Would you still then go along with "it's a privilege"? Wouldn't you think maybe it is a right, and with them trying to regulate that right they're removing your innate freedom?

18. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

in UK you have to have a hands free set in the car to use the phone, if your caught driving and on the phone you can be fined and persistant offenders can have they're licence revoked and good thing to, driving while on the phone is not only a danger to yourself but to other people aswell.

19. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

Does that mean it's not a right? What about people who can drive while talking on the phone? Not everyones the same you know, even though governments might want them to be...

20. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

if your on the phone will driving you are not in control of the car, therefore you cannot give 100% concentration to driving the car.

21. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Here to you can be fined, you are supposed to pull over to talk....I don't have a cell phone so it doesn't affect me. But I have been cut off by I dont know how many cell users and it makes me so fuking mad......

Drunk driving here is.......loss of licence for yr....and some kind of class you must go to.....and before you can drive again you have to install this 800.00 device that you blow into, before your car will start. This is on the first offence.

I don;t feel sorry one bit for those ppl...its a slap on the wrist.....what about the kids that are left behind.......because you killed their mom or dad because you were too irresponsible.....their lives are fuked up forever.

22. ashpwner Registered Senior Member

wow shorty canda sounds real nice on the way the deal with crime

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

23. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

I HAVE lost my driving privelage to drive in the past, so I DO know what it feels like.

A car is several thousands of pounds of machinery that can travel upwards of 100MPH.
    It is QUITE easy to kill someone (or a whole group of someones) from behind the wheel.
    If someone proves that (s)he is not capable of treating that responsibility with the respect it deserves (such as if they get caught driving under the influence) then they do not deserve it.

One drunk driver put the lives of hundreds at risk.
    One bad driver does the same every day.

My sister is neurologically impaired and lacks the proper reflexes to be able to handle a car safely - should she have the "right" to drive?

Even if they kill someone??

All your whiny excuses about not being able to drive to work, or not being able to see your friends are meaningless when compared with the person who you killed - what rights did you take away from them?

Boo hoo, woe is fucking you - you have to take an inconvenient bus to work.
    It would be better if ytou were allowed to drive and kill more people.
    Grow up.