Is free speech being denied? (Open letter to forum supervisors)

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by tabloid, Jan 15, 2006.

1. tabloid Registered Member

This is the PM I sent to James R but graciously our dear mod hasn't bothered to provide me with a decent excuse.

A question

Hi there,

You have modded a couple of posts made by me, and I am fine with it. But one thing started to bother me.

Why was the link to Freedom Club manifesto removed? Even though Mr. Kaczynski is considered a terrorist and you may not agree with his views, that still doesn't refute validity of his writing; I think it raises some very good points about the flaws of modern societies.

However, it's not even a very hateful text, unless you deliberately want to view it that way. Would you remove a link to Marx's "Capital" if someone posted it in educational purposes? It does after all propose class revolt and can be considered hateful.

Cheers

This kind of behaviour raises one very serious question: is free speech being thwarted here by incompetent moderators? How can there be any kind of serious dialogue if there are taboo subjects of conversation and dissident voices are being silenced?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

There is no constitution of sciforums that garantees free speech.

In fact, I don't think anyone here wants free speech, otherwise we wouldn't have moderators.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

If anything, we have too much free speech, allowing anti-islamic trolls to post their hateful propoganda and ignorant berks to post "moon landings were faked" every week, despite having been refuted the previous 52 weeks.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

If you read the TOS when you signed up, you wouldn't be asking those questions.

8. android nothing human inside Registered Senior Member

I don't understand why someone would remove the Unabomber's words. I don't think it's very scientific to have taboo thoughts, thus I think the forum should be renamed so as not to imply that it is scientific.

9. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

tabloid:

It seems to me that providing a "decent excuse" to somebody who flaunts his association with anus.com will, in most instances, be a complete waste of my time.

Nevertheless...

You didn't raise any point of discussion in referring to Kaczynski's views. If you wish to discuss them, I suggest you start a new thread, in which you express your views on the matter.

Out of context links to hate sites, terrorist sites and the like seek to use sciforums as a kind of index to the unsavoury parts of the web. I see no reason why sciforums should become such an index. Do you?

There are no incompetent moderators here.

10. mountainhare Banned Banned

tabloid:
    And so what if it is, nitwit? You're a guest here. James R and his lackeys make the rules, and they don't have to justify how they administrate their forum to idiots like you. If you don't like that, then you can piss off. There are plenty of other forums on the net with which you can soil your posts with.

Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

DUMBASS!!!

11. leopold Valued Senior Member

tabloid
    i heard that the following forum has no moderators
    notice the word "heard", i have never posted there
    nor have i any intention of doing so

also, if you have no problems with the edit
    what the fuck are you bitching about?

here's the site. get lost
    http://www.sciscoop.com/

edit
    after being informed by anomolous
    i have to state i am in error
    on the above site, every poster is a moderater

Last edited: Jan 19, 2006
  12. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Having run across your juvenile posting style on another thread I thought I would check out some other posts you have made. After all, I may just have caught you on a bad day.
    Not so, it seems.
    As several others have pointed out this forum does not offer free speech. The fact that you think it does suggests two things:
    a) You did not bother to read the Conditions of Use (or whatever they are called) when you signed up.
    b) You are quite naive.
    Both may be corrected through education and attention to detail.

Before you respond with a post which screams ad hominem allow me to observe, of course it is. If you post idiotic things you must expect that some people (aka bastards) will point out that you are behaving like an idiot.

13. tabloid Registered Member

Now please, you are flattering me.

Are you a psychic? Are you sure I wasn't going to?

Was the link really out of context? If you read my message it said that the writing introduces many valid points on the flaws of modern society and its "progress".

What's up with this drama generating anyway? Does reading Quran make one automatically a muslim extremist?

No further comments.

Brilliant observation!

Then why are "objective" and "scientific" approaches being preferred? Do you expect that there is "science" in world of taboos and dogmas?

Oh yes I did, and always do.

Are you serious?

Narf.

Oh just shut up and kiss me, you big bear!

14. riku_124 High School Smoker Registered Senior Member

yes, free speach is bieng limitedo nthe forums, if you read the ofrum rules and stuff, it says they are, also the terms of use also state it, a mode can delete anyhting they think is not needed, or isnt irght for the sight

15. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

You are supposed to make a point with the first post.

16. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

Have you noticed that they never actually do this?

17. Anomalous Banned Banned

Someone has decided what should be allowed and what shouldnt; Why cant we decide that. Simply start point system to hide and unhide threads or posts.

18. Anomalous Banned Banned

Thats not true, everyone is a mod over there.

19. Anomalous Banned Banned

The conditions are wrong and hence we dont accept them. but even more than that what we dont accept is that we shouldnt be able to join the forum because of thoes conditions. Who told U that there should be any such conditions. Instead visit my blog and check other forums and how the features over there take care of spammers. http://physicsforums.blogspot.com/

20. Anomalous Banned Banned

That is nothing but vandalism.

21. leopold Valued Senior Member

uh, i beg to differ

22. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Dear Leopold,

I have more than 10.000 posts. I regularly insult people or behave like a baby. I have never been banned. I think I have been close once.

I think that one time you just were pushing it too much. But had it anything to do with free speech? I can basically say what I want. Especially when you make it into an argument based on either solid evidence or logical support.

Spuriousmonkey, PhD, C.s.a, C.i.a., Fema, H2O2.

23. leopold Valued Senior Member

i've had a few posts edited and or removed
    but i don't consider it a big deal

leopold99, echelon, carnivore, C2H5OH