Is global warming an Environmental Concern?

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by PhiloNysh, Oct 5, 2003.

?

If global warming an environmental concern?

1. Yes -humans caused it

38 vote(s)
    46.9%
  2. No- it is a natural cause

26 vote(s)
    32.1%
  3. Not sure

17 vote(s)
    21.0%
  1. rae Registered Member

Global warming I have no opinion on..

the ozone layer and hole over my city, however..

10 years ago I did not burn when in the summer sun.

Now I burn in half an hour to an hour, even when wearing sunscreen. It isnt just me who is more prone to this, either, so it's not a sensitivity issue.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Red Devil Born Again Athiest Registered Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Climatology Registered Member

From the 1st link:
    "Charlson says scientists understand to within 10 percent the impact of human activity on the production of greenhouse gases, things like carbon dioxide and methane that act like blanket to trap heat and, in theory, contribute to global warming. Yet their grasp of the human impact on albedo could be off by as much as 100 percent, he fears."

Nothing could be further from the truth -- climate scientists are no where near 10% accuracy on atmospheric GHG effect on climate. If they were at 10%, their retroactive and predictive models wouldn't be 100-200% (or worse) off!

These links are thin on science, and long on speculation!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Edufer Tired warrior Registered Senior Member

If you live in a city, there is no ozone hole above. The only city that had once a minihole above it is Ushuaia, Tierra del Fuego. When scientists measured the UV-B radiation incoming through the hole --- <b>it was 50% of the radiation</b> that was falling at the same moment in Buenos Aires.

Your burning sensation is due to the fact you were 10 year younger and your skin has aged and became thiner. That’s a medical fact. Another fact is that there has not been any reduction on the ozone layer outside the South Pole, when it decreases during the early spring and fills again before summer. The ozone hole scam is one the biggest frauds on human history –so big it even deserved a fraudulent Nobel Prize for their inventors.

Check some science about the issue in this scientific site: (Luxembourg)

http://meteo.lcd.lu/papers/ozone/uccle/uccle_01.html

The worst thing you can do is to use a sunscreen. Expose your skin no more than 30 minutes on each side of the body near noon, and then get out of the sun. Apply lots of humidifying cream later. The damaging rays are UV-A, that penetrates deep into the dermis, ages it, and promotes basal cell and squamous tumors.

8. Golgo 13 The Professional Registered Senior Member

The debate's over: Globe is warming

NASA has published a scientific study confirming Global Warming. The cause is the emission of CO2 and other green house gasses, of course. Just as it was suspected for so long.

The debate's been over for quite a while for the rest of the world. It's only been the recalcitrant U.S. and Australian governments insisting on burying their heads in the sand hoping it would all go away. All the effort for the last few years has been to get them to admit it and join the rest of reality.

9. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Not realy a city, but this is just in ->

read more

10. Xylene Valued Senior Member

There are 'chimneys' of cold water that descend to the ocean floor, and start the current of cold water flowing back along the bottom of the sea. This is part of the thermohaline circulation pattern. Recent measurements have shown that the number of chimneys has declined from a dozen down to two over a matter of a few years. This indicates--so the scientists reckon--that the thermohaline circulation pattern is shutting down because of the warming of the oceans.

11. Andre Registered Senior Member

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2087-1602579,00.html

A renowned Britisch weatherman has said this about that subject:

12. creek 1884 APOLO Registered Senior Member

Having read this thread for the first time today, I must say I have to agree with the science prsented by Edufer. It aggrees with what I have read by other reputable scientists as well as my own experience and common sense (I live at latitude 56 in N.America) But of course a subject like this tends to become emotional as well as political, and people on both sides end up calling the other side junk science.There is no doubt politics enters in to it as much as science.

REGARDS APOLO

13. Edufer Tired warrior Registered Senior Member

Going to http://www.woudc.org/index_e.html World Ozone and Ultraviolet Radiation Data Centre (WOUDC) you can their data (in zip format – thousands of files) and you can check actual ozone measurements over most parts of the world. From their database I just selected places at random over Europe for May and June, 2005, and will show their monthly averages below, in Dobson Units (DU).

"There are presently six ozone data categories (types) and three UV data types registered at the WOUDC. The ozone data archive contains the following data categories: Lidar vertical profiles, Ozone sonde vertical profiles, Total column ozone (Daily and Monthly values), Surface ozone (Daily summaries), and Umkehr N-value and C-Umkehr vertical profiles. The UV data archive contains the following data categories: Broad-band, Multi-band and Spectral. "

MONTHLY AVERAGE OVER EUROPE, MAY-JUNE 2005

Vindeln, SWE, June, 2005 = 370.0 DU
    Kishinev, Russia, June, 2005 = 341.4 DU
    Diekirch, Luxembourg, May, 2005 = 359.0 DU
    Kaunas, Lituanie, May, 2005 = 360.0 DU
    Arosa, Switzerland, May, 2005 = 330.0 DU

Tehran, Iran, May 2005: 316.0 DU (not Europe, but shows uniform values along the world)​
    As you can see, ozone values are ABOVE normal, as “normal” values would be between 250-275 DU. The alarmist article on that link, has never spoken about Dobson Units values, referring only to a UV factor of 8.4 (that is quite normal during summer).

Sensationalistic yellow press may be a good business but not a trustable source of information.