Is Hate Delusional Thinking?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by PsychoticEpisode, Oct 15, 2009.

1. lightgigantic Banned Banned

compare this and this

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Agreed. But then again neither did the original comments that I replied to.
    They were wrong but asserted as fact.

Better than an F

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Simple, you said that "atheists that show no moderation in their dis-beliefs never play fair, don't have any morality".
    (That's a concatenation of my question and your reply, phrased as a coherent statement).
    Whatever I believe (or disbelieve) with regard to god has no bearing whatsoever on whether I play fair or not. Moderating my disbelief (keeping it in rein or not, presumably: expressing it) doesn't alter the fact that morality has a biological basis, or that I live in a society with enforced laws. Or that I may actually want to get on with people.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. hay_you Registered Member

This is a very interesting statement. and correct.
    This is exactly what we are told. We have free will, but we were also given guide lines. If your philosophy for life is to do what you want with out regard for the rules, there maybe be consequences. Before germs and contamination was really known about, the Hebrews were given a bunch of rules about dead bodies, preparing food etc. They didn't know why, but they just followed it. Today we know why.Many people today do not follow these things and we mad cow, ecoli, etc.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

so post a link that says that, or in the very least post what you think of as the truth..you are asserting your statement of 'wrong' is a fact with nothing to back it up..

wouldn't you claim the same of theist?

claiming morality is biological, asserts that morality can not be learned..

morality is just laws we impose on ourselves,we have to moderate ourselves,unfortunately humanity doesn't do moderation well..if we did,we would not need laws..

8. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Well strictly speaking the originator should back up his assertions.
    However:
    I've never been checked. I don't actually know anyone who has. How about you? When were you last checked? "Every one" is (or should be) an obvious false claim.

Biological basis:
    http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/bb/neuro/neuro01/web3/Solano.html

Evolution says that genetic traits best suited survive: there's next to nothing an individual can do to ensure evolutionary fitness.

No.
    Fair play or not is up to the individual. I've known theists cheat at chess. I've known atheists play chess so fairly they've lost to beginners. It's nothing to do with belief or not. Much the same with morals.
    In point of fact I knew one believer who slept around and swore worse (and on far less provocation) than any docker I ever heard of: his "reasoning" was that since he believed all he had to do was ask for forgiveness once a week. Is that moral?

That wasn't my claim. Morality has a biological basis. If morality itself were entirely (and purely biological) then most societies would have very similar moralities.

Ah no.
    Expressions of morality come out in laws, but morality itself...

But aren't laws a way of humanity moderating itself?
    We "agree" (implicitly or explicitly" to follow the law (with notable exceptions of course), even, to a large extent, when we find them personally inconvenient or stupid.

9. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

an obvious something..

what was that arguement about books being proof?..lol
    who is Ingrid Solano?

a fine example of bad role models....as a whole i can't argue for religions because of the ppl like that..but there are some ppl in religion who do have a clue..(not very many)..sorry..i tend to argue 'don't generalize'

lol..kinda makes my point..we cant moderate ourselves and we know it, so we will assign ppl to moderate us for us, rather than do it for ourselves....
    we don't need any more laws! we need to learn how to moderate ourselves..

is it working?
    do you trust those laws implicitly?
    is the law..the truth?...if its not then it must be wrong!

we have no choice to agree or disagree when a law is made,and we have no control over ALL the laws that are made..

and when the law forces you to spend your money, is it still working?

10. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

He generalised. To the point of untruthfulness.

Ah you mistake me. It's evidence that his statement was incorrect.

Exactly: you can't generalise on the basis of "theist" or "atheist". Or most other things.

But accepting society's laws IS a way of moderating ourselves.

Agreed. As an ideal.

For the large part.

I'm an engineer, I don't trust anything implicitly.

Tch, if it's not wholly correct it's not worth having?
    The law isn't about truth.

No? Democracies elect their law-makers and usually have a legal system that tests laws. And sometimes throws them out.

You want perfection? (Which isn't to say that we shouldn't try, of course...)
    It's a process not an "all or nothing" scenario.

11. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

There is the consideration to hate an act and not the person who commits an act. And if you hate an act, and the power of love could eliminate the propensity for the act, then does it not make sense to love?

12. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

Well I am an admitted idealist. I've considered it my job to be. As I do wish for the ideal, and believe that thoughts and desires manifest.

But really, what good has ever come of ambivalence to anything? Doesn't it defeat the purpose of being alive and cognitive?

13. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Those are made up terms for physical objects and experience of physical objects. The physical objects of course exist objectively, but the experiences are completely subjective.
    Both instrumental and intrinsic value do not exist except in our minds, there's nothing inherent about it.

14. lightgigantic Banned Banned

Interesting.

So what do you say distinguishes the processes we attribute to "mind" from the physical objects it is experiencing?

15. Enmos Valued Senior Member

They are completely different. One gets influenced by the other. The brain is an object too.
    What is the difference between a rock in the sun and the same rock when you block the sun for it?
    What is the difference between a grass swaying in the wind and the same grass when you shelter it from the wind with your body?
    Etc.

16. lightgigantic Banned Banned

I don't follow.

Unless you are also laying some subjective issue of discrimination, its not clear exactly on what grounds they are completely different.

Not a lot.

But tell me what is the (objective) difference between what we term "mind" and the objects it perceives?

17. Enmos Valued Senior Member

In the examples I gave about the rock and the grass:
    - what is the difference been the rock and your hand?
    - what is the difference between the grass and your body?

About as much as not experiencing an object versus experiencing an object, only way simpler.

I already told you. One is an object, the other is an object influenced by the first object.

18. lightgigantic Banned Banned

If you hold that the quality of anything is determined by the physical nature that constitutes it, only a host of subjective issues

But if the nature of "experience" is within the same language as rocks, etc, what difference (aside from teh subjective) does it bring to the table?

But, given that both are defined by the same language of physical matter, how on earth do you play this difference as objective?

19. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I don't understand your comments here.

The difference between the rock in the sun and the rock in the shade is, for instance, the temperature of the rock. In that sense the rock 'experiences' your hand.
    I hold that our experience is of the same nature, only much more complex.

20. lightgigantic Banned Banned

I think you have to do something more with your use of the word experience other than place it in quotation marks.

21. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Not necessary. I used "in that sense" and "of the same nature, only much more complex".

22. lightgigantic Banned Banned

its just that its difficult to understand the "sense" in which one could advocate that rocks have "experience"

particularly coming from you

(BTW I don't know what happened to this posting of yours - for some reason it shows up in archives but no on the thread or even your personal postings under your statistics tab .... did you delete it or did it get modded or something?)

23. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Humans and brains are made of dead matter, there's no magic.

I didn't delete it and as far as I know it wasn't modded either. So.. I don't know.