is it possable to shrink a human to bug size?

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by wants to know, Jul 1, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KneD Le Penseur Registered Senior Member

Brains, brains, brains.

I discussed the shrinking point with my biology-teacher, and he came up with the following points:

You can do it in two ways, you can mess with the genetics, or you could try it on a chemical base, and completley build the human from molecule to molecule.....

The first way will probably give you a human from about the known dwarf size.
    The second way can be much smaller:
    The proportions must stay the same, so the ratio os differnt parts of the body will dictate the smallest possible size.

BUT, there is one main problem, the complicated structure of the body will remain, and so the brains must have a minimum size (you could argue for a dumb creature, only able to move, but than it wouldn't be a human anymore).
    This brain size will be the problem.
    Cause when we make really small people with big heads to keep the brains in, it wouldn't be a human either, more a new life-form.

Conclusion: we can not be smaller than dwarfs.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Fukushi -meta consciousness- Registered Senior Member

Doh !!!

We just grew to this size: why should we shrink at all: in midevil-times we where dwarfs:
    the romans where about 1.20m to 1.50 tall: that's one of the reasons they couldn't mess with the germanians,...they where in comparision verry big: not to say : HUGE !!!

The constant adaptation process we undergo: is streaming us towards growing: growing consiousness: growing understanding,
    If you want to shrink yourself to bug-size: go ahead: but shrink yourself not others: and don't drag them down with you,....eventually: I WILL crush you,....(even not deliberately).

tss,...shrinking consiousness, shrinking understanding,...shrink the penis,....ai ai ai !!! Size DOES matter remember ?!!!?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. kmguru Staff Member

Humans grow from baby size to adult size. So, I think, a six year old may be the right size for reduction. With slight manipulation, that brain can hold the adult computation processes. And the proportions would not be ugly either. It is just that everybody would look like a child that did not grow up physically.

But to bug size? only if you put a quantum computer the size of a sugar crystal inside the brain.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Hevene Registered Senior Member

Something just hit me...
    In ancient China, the females' feet were restricted growth starting at a very yong age, like 3 or something. The foot digits were broken loose, and wrapped with bandage to restrict the growth of the feet. the result is that the feet never got bigger than the size of a fist. If we can restrict the growth of the bone, their might be a possibility of the restriction of the organs and in this way, we can stay smaller, but the size of a bug, very unlikely... ... but not impossible with the upcoming technologies, you never know.

8. KneD Le Penseur Registered Senior Member

feet-bandage comes with a lotlotlotlot of pain, the feet grow wrong. And it is hard to walk or even stand on it.
    ---> forced different grow comes with malfunction of the feet.

with feet it ain't that worse, but a malfunction when we talk about organs, nah, I don't like that idea.

The main idea of bandage is to stop the grow while is is growing, you can not do that with organs, during a life you can not try to disable the grow function of organs. (or muscles, bones, brains, eyes, etc. etc. etc. etc.)

9. Fukushi -meta consciousness- Registered Senior Member

this reminds me:

And I guess you too are all familiar with that african tribe: the one that has neck-rings: with every ring they sustain a 'supposedly' higher rank within the tribe (sort of alfa-females)
    well: if you take away these rings: the woman dies.

I think I'm rather comfortable with the way I am! NO: correction: I'm rather sure , hehehe!

10. Hevene Registered Senior Member

Is there such a gene called the "growth" gene? May be we can shut it down, ie. if it exists.:bugeye:

Last edited: Mar 30, 2002
  11. kmguru Staff Member

Or you can breed smaller people until you get the smallest....

12. KneD Le Penseur Registered Senior Member

let's not strap anything....

Hmmmm, all these options don't give smaller people than dwarfs (about 1 meter??)

well, to illustrate the feet-strapping part, let me post something said by a person who had the bandage as a child (taken from my history book):
    When I was seven years old, my feet were strapped. Until that point I had always been a cheered up child, always playing and dancing, but after the strapping nothing was left from my optimistic, happy nature. The night after the strapping my feet seemed to burn and I couldn't get no sleep. when I tried to loosen the straps a little, I was hit by my mother. After a few months all toes, except the biggest were pushed to the underside of my feet. When I ate fish or meat my feet became swollen, and some sort of yellow-green liquid came out of the bandage. When I tried to walk on my heels, my mother critisised me. She said I would never attain beautifull feet, and that she couldn't find a decent man for me. In the summer a terrible smell came from the bandage, because my feet were rotting and all with blood and dirt. In the winter they were stone-cold, because of less blood circulation. I couldn't do anything when something was itsing under my feet, I couldn't touch them when they hurt. My legs are thin, my feet rotten stinking lumps. I wish I was one of them with normal feet

I now it is a little off topic but I needed to mention......let's make sure organ-bandage will never be fashion

13. Hevene Registered Senior Member

Yeah, I guess, since we do selective breeding on other animals, nor not on human? But it would take on long time... ... :bugeye:

14. dudester567 Registered Member

Shrinking people is impossible..

As they put it in Star Trek, even if you could shrink a human being, you wouldn't be able to breathe!
    As Dr. Bashir said it:
    "Chief, you can't go out there even if you wanted to! The atoms outside are 2000x bigger than what your hemoglobins in your blood cells can assimilate! You'd suffocate!"
    His logic seems... logical.
    Thus proving it impossible.
    UNLESS, there were a way to shrink atoms, which are the smallest 'building blocks' in the universe. Then you could create sub-atomic universes.

15. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

You're only about 8-9 years late with your answer, dudester567. That's how old this thread is.

Closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.