Is science based on faith?

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Magical Realist, Apr 2, 2024.

1. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Sarkus:

Here are a couple of samples from your most recent reply. Added emphasis is mine.
    Your consistent argument is that 'faith' can somehow provide the justification necessary to have knowledge (a justified true belief). This is precisely what I am disputing. I am arguing that faith (in the unevidenced sense #2 that I described previously, in contrast to the evidenced sense #1 in which 'faith' means something more like a trust has has been earned) can never provide justification for a knowledge claim. It can't do that because appealing to 'faith' in sense #2 is an empty placeholder that is supposed to somehow substitute for evidence. All that 'faith' in sense #2 says is "I've become convinced that X is true. I can't explain to you whatever it was that convinced me, in any way that should convince you, so I'm just going to pretend that whatever it was provides objective justification for my knowledge claim."

The rest of your reply essentially makes a bunch of excuses for why people in general ought to accept 'faith' in sense #2 as a valid justification of knowledge claims, although you also say that you won't accept those excuses and that you don't expect I will accept them either. It seems like a quite muddled argument, Sarkus. Why do you want to argue for a standard that you, yourself, will not participate in accepting or adhering to? One rule for Sarkus, one for the plebians? Why?

I will reply point-by-point to your post, but this is really all that is necessary to show the flaw in your argument.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2024
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Here's the point-by-point reply:
    No. That is the issue of ability to articulate.

The pretence comes from assuming one has a sound reason for knowing, when one does not. When one lacks justification, one ought not to claim knowledge.
    No, it isn't. Faith (in sense #2) is not a justification for knowledge.

As for divine revelation, I'm not aware of any evidence (other than acedotal evidence) that might suggest that any such thing has ever occurred in the history of the world. Are you? If not, how could that possibly be used to justify a knowledge claim? It's not repeatable or testable. It's unfalsifiable. Why should it convince anybody else other than the person who believes they had it?
    Well, there you go. But, at the same time, you're arguing that - for some reason - it ought to convince other people. Why? And why the double standard?
    Now you're asserting that theists' ignorance, in itself, somehow justifies their knowledge claims. It's quite strange.
    Is their epistemological system sound? If not, then it seems like they are pretending it is sound when it isn't. Right?

Again, it seems like you're trying to make excuses for them. They can have their unsound epistemological system because we can't expect them to know any better. Why? Who else would you have us apply such a loose standard to?
    I already explained. All one has to do is to ask for their justification. If they can't give a sound justification, then they don't know, according to the definition of knowledge.
    Okay. I'm all ears. Please tell me what non-scientific epistemologies you are advocating for, specifically. You believe there are other (better?) ways to come to knowledge? What are they? Can you give any examples?

Do you believe that 'faith' (in sense #2) is a system by which people can attain knowledge?
    I think you may be confused. I have been trying to talk about an objective kind of pretending. Of course, anybody who holds a sincere belief in something that is not true will be under the subjective delusion that they are not "pretending" to have knowledge. But that doesn't mean that the rest of us, out in the objective world, need to pander to that delusion. If they are speaking to us in the false belief that they have knowledge, they are pretending, objectively, even if they subjectively believe they are speaking the truth.
    I don't accept that "revelation" is a real thing. Do you know about any revelations, Sarkus?

When you mention trust, you are engaged in the very equivocation fallacy I pointed out when I distinguished senses #1 and #2 of the word 'faith'. I hope the problem is more clear to you, now that you've fallen into the trap yourself.

And if raining outside is justification for a knowledge claim, that would be evidence for the claim, which is usually considered a sound type of justification.
    I thought I was clear that I was talking both about deliberate attempts to deceive and also about self-deception.

Of course, some apologists for religion do deliberately act to deceive. (Not all theists.)
    I'm interested to have a discussion about different ideas about what might constitute justification. I have already stated some opinions I have regarding that. Do your views differ?
    If you want to go down the road of saying that strong personal feelings or impressions are sufficient to justify knowledge claims, I think you're on very slippery ground. You risk equating simple belief with knowledge, which would be a serious error to make.
    I don't know that people can't magically know. But there's no good evidence that anybody can magically know anything. Therefore, it makes no rational sense to believe that they can, yet.

Do you have any documented examples of proven revelations or other forms of magical knowing?
    My argument is that my perspective on knowledge - e.g. that evidence is a good justification and that there are lots of other kinds of claims that are poor or unsound attempts at justification - is superior to the ones that take the opposite position.

If you want to argue that all perspectives are equal, go right ahead, but I think you have an uphill battle ahead of you.
    I wasn't using the word "valid" in its rigid logical-syllogism sense, but in the sense of ordinary usage. If you prefer "sound", please read instances of "valid" in what I wrote to mean "sound", unless I'm explicitly talking about logical syllogisms and the like. I have tried to accommodate your preference in this post.
    What are the new and more sophisticated criteria that you are referring to?
    If the core belief is unknowable, one shouldn't claim to have knowledge of it. Right?
    They wouldn't. They don't.
    Have you deluded yourself that your neighbour secretly liked Taylor Swift? If not, then it seems to me that you don't have faith that your neighbour secretly liked Taylor Swift. If you're going around telling other people that he secretly liked Taylor Swift, you're just outright telling lies, knowingly. This example probably has very little to do with "faith", as far as I can tell, based on what you have presented.
    If you believe he did, in the absence of evidence, then possibly you have faith.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

(continued...)
    I don't accept that faith can be justification. Apparently, you don't, either. So why assert that it can be?
    You're missing the justification bit. My contention is that faith is not justification. It is an excuse one can give when one has no justification.
    Because they are claiming knowledge!
    My past battles with theists have informed my current views. It's a pity you skipped over the part where I communicated some of the benefit of my experience to you. Besides, did you notice how your words looked, when put into that context? I guess not.
    Yes. So what?
    Tell me how you think theists use the term. Or don't you know?
    I never claimed that theists would agree with me. They are strongly motivated to disagree, for obvious reasons. That doesn't mean my description of the usage is inaccurate.
    Do you accept that faith is a justification for knowledge, then? (I note that you wrote that is a justification for "claiming knowledge", but that - of course - is a different thing.)
    Specifically, I have been discussing claims like "I have faith in God" or "I have faith that God is real".

Now you want to expand the meaning of the term 'faith' as a descriptor of the feelings people get when they think about their God belief, and more. To have a relationship with a god requires that the god exists, at a minimum. And yet, evidence for the existence of God appears to be absent. That's before we even get to considering evidence for any actual relationship, personal or otherwise.

Yes, 'faith' is dressed up to be a "theological virtue". One must pretend to have knowledge in the existence of God and one's supposed personal relationship with that God. Not only is the pretence a requirement, it is positively encouraged and made into a "virtue".

I get it that some people commit their "entire self" to God. People can commit their entire self to all kinds of causes and belief systems, true or false. It is easy to dress up strong commitment itself, to pretend it is a virtue in itself.
    Are you comfortable with pretending to know things you don't know, Sarkus? Or is this just something you advocate in other people?
    Yes. So what?
    I don't have to show that what they are claiming is wrong. The whole point here is that their claims to knowledge are unjustified. The ball's in their court to show that they are justified, when they make claims to knowledge. If they cannot do so and yet continue to make the claims, then they are pretending. The onus of proof is on the claimant, you see.
    Justification is about evidence.
    I haven't claimed that science is the only way to know things.
    They can have knowledge without justification? That seems to be the gist of your argument.
    Isn't it obvious? They are making knowledge claims that they can't justify.
    Huh?

You're asking me to try to argue my position on the proviso that I accept your dubious claim that faith can provide justification for knowledge?

No, Sarkus. I'm afraid you'll have to argue your case. I'm not going to join you in your pretence.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

I think alot of Christians would define faith in this way:

"In the New Testament the English word faith is used to translate the Greek word pistis. The New Strong’s Expanded Dictionary of Bible Words says, “Pistis is used of belief with the predominate idea of trust (or confidence) whether in God or in Christ, springing from faith in the same. ‘Faith’ means trust, confidence, assurance, and belief” (p. 1315).

The Bible also defines pistis in Hebrews 11:1, “Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.”

Faith is the substance or assurance of things we hope for, but have not yet received. Faith (confidence, belief, trust) is also our evidence of that which is not seen—the invisible spiritual things. Faith comes before a prayer is answered or before an individual has received what he or she has requested from God. If we have received what we asked for, then faith is not needed."---- https://lifehopeandtruth.com/change/faith/what-is-faith/

Yazata likes this.
  8. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

You miss the point.

First, you are looking through this issue through the spectacles of empiricism, and thereby science, as being the only arbiter of justification. From someone who looks exclusively through those lenses, your position is expected. But it doesn’t answer the question of people who don’t wear those glasses, and how they view faith.

Secondly, no one has said anything about faith offering “objective justification”. I certainly haven’t. The idea that justification need somehow be objective is you again looking through the glasses of empiricism, or of the need for that justification to be convincing to all that hear it. This isn’t the case. Faith does not convince you, nor me. I would not accept that somebody knows something just because they say they have faith. But it convinces them. It is justification for them.
    I’m not arguing for a standard. A standard assumes that it should apply to all. I’m arguing that justification is not as simple as you seem to want to make it, that what one might take as justification might not be acceptable for another. You are arguing that if someone’s justification doesn’t fit your criteria then it should not be accepted as justification by anyone. Justification, however, is not always objective.

And the overall point is that when one uses faith as justification they are not “pretending” to know. Whether they know or not depends predominantly on whether their claim is true or not. If one’s epstemic philosophy won’t allow the proposition to be verified, then you won’t accept any justification for the claim/belief to be knowledge. If one’s epistemic philosophy does allow it to be verified then one will only accept justification that fits that philosophy. However, this in no way speaks to whether the other person has knowledge, only whether it can fit within your epistemic philosophy as being knowledge.

You, however, are insisting that if doesn’t fit your philosophy then it can not be considered knowledge at all. You are simply not allowing yourself to consider those who hold other philosophies, yet you are looking to define how they use words, such as “faith”.
    Please don’t start the ad hominems, James R. Please don’t start trolling.
    Yet you haven’t done. You seem to have simply asserted your position again, and again argued exclusively from your epistemic philosophy. Which means you’ve missed the point entirely.

9. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

They have justification. There is a whole swathe of philosophical discourse on the matter of what justification should entail within the remit of the Justified True Belief criteria. You are simply asserting that everyone has to abide by your epistemological philosophy in this regard.
    Let’s be clear: it’s not a justification for you (or me). However I am not insisting that everyone adheres to my epistemic philosophy in that regard, or insisting that mine is the only one and all others are a matter of pretence, for example.
    Here you are just insisting upon your own epistemological philosophy as the arbiter of what everyone else can consider knowledge. Not all knowledge is scientific, nor can science answer the claim that science is the only legitimate form of knowledge. Yet here you are asserting it, if not explicitly then in your positioning. Even when the question is how others that don’t share your philosophy might use words.
    It’s not a double standard. It’s the awareness that there is no “standard”, other than what we ascribe ourselves through our own epistemic philosophy. All you can talk about with regard whether something is knowledge is whether it fits your epistemic philosophy that you should consider it knowledge. If someone else has a different philosophy then what they consider knowledge will be different.
    No, I’m doing no such thing. First, how do you know it is ignorance on their part? Because it doesn’t fit your epistemic philosophy? Second, you are still asserting a deliberate intention on their part.
    I suggest you do a bit of research regarding epistemology, and the various views: notably rationalism and existentialism. You (and I) adhere mainly to the view of empiricism. But I am not limiting discussion to just that, and accept that others have – and are allowed – to have differing philosophies.
    Your derogatory view of those with different epistemological philosophies is your own, not mine.
    Again, I suggest you do a dive into the realm of epistemology. Rationalism and Existentialism would be the main two other than empiricism for you to examine, I’d suggest.
    I don’t know, as what they are claiming through faith I can not verify the truth/falsity of their claim. It is an area of knowledge, if it is there, that would appear closed to me (as knowledge).
    Sigh. Again you are asserting that only your epistemic philosophy is acceptable, that only your view of justification is acceptable. You can not know that they are pretending. You can not assert that their justification is unacceptable to anyone other than those who hold your view about it.

And you are still denigrating the one with faith, now through claiming them deluded. If you think them deluded, show them evidence to the contrary of what they believe.
    First, no one is asking you to pander to anything. That is not what this is about. If you have other issues with people of religion, take it up with them, in another thread.

Second, show that what they believe is false! Show that it is not knowledge, not just with reference to your epistemic philosophy but theirs! Or show that theirs is wrong. You do know that science can not show that science is the only legitimate form of knowledge, right?
    I don’t accept revelation as justification for knowledge, either, James R. But that is because they don’t fit within my epistemic philosophy. I can’t speak for others who don’t hold to the same philosophy.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Please don’t misunderstand what I wrote. I merely gave a list of what people might consider to be justification, James R, and did not explicitly equate any of them to “faith”.

I may get round to answering the rest, but at the moment it seems you are stuck considering everything solely through your own epistemic philosophy and insisting that yours is the only acceptable one for everyone, unable to consider alternatives, let alone put yourself in their shoes and see how certain words might by used by them. Therefore discussing this issue further with you here would be seem to be of little value.
    But if I get more time I will review the other responses and, if anything is of interest, I will reply to them.

10. Yazata Valued Senior Member

Yes. That's why I often define faith as 'commitment'. When Christians say that they have 'faith in Christ', oftentimes they seem to mean that they are committed to Christ, his message, his path, or whatever it is.

I don't think that they must always be interpreted as claiming to possess some private information pipeline not available to atheists. Although they could, since their own religious experience probably seems to them to confirm and justify their religious committments quite well.

And at risk of repeating myself, I think that science does much the same thing when scientists practice science. They do it when they adopt their methodological naturalism since ontological physicalism isn't something that they can actually know. They do it when they adopt a sensory empiricism as opposed to interpreting experience more broadly as with religious experiensce. They do it when they accept the formal framework of mathematics and logic, despite the lack of a foundational basis. They do it when they trust that reality always behaves in conformity with mathematics and logic and that the uniformity of nature holds true such that scientific induction and mathematical physics succeed.

Science is committed to those kind of assumptions (which they can't really justify without circularity) as the framework for its practice. Much as the religious faithful are committed to their very different presuppositions as the framework for theirs.

I personally share the presuppositions of science far more than those of the 'Abrahamic' religions. Hence I find science to be vastly more credible. But that doesn't mean that I don't see the similarities.

I expect that the similarities are the result of our human condition, where we begin with our own experience of reality and then try to make sense of it, form beliefs about it, and then try to find justifications for those beliefs. We don't begin at the foundations and build upwards. We begin floating in the air so to speak, and seek foundations that might not even be discoverable by beings such as us.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foundationalism

C C and Magical Realist like this.
  11. foghorn Valued Senior Member

To have a faith in science would seem to mean having a non-static faith, because science does not say it has the only answers and there’s nothing else possible now or in the future?
    It would seem funny to have a model of a god. That model would be something like, here is a god model, it has always been the same and will never change. Sounds like an arrogant kind of faith compared to science faith.