Is the Bible the WORD of God or the WORD of Satan?

Discussion in 'Religion' started by Greatest I am, Aug 20, 2013.

1. billvon Valued Senior Member

I get a kick out of the "my religion is better than your religion" threads. Sort of like the Bud Light vs. Miller Light arguments*. (Both are still pretty bad.)

(* - used to work at a restaurant with a bar, and there were a few regulars there who often had that argument. One day they accidentally reversed the keg connections; they didn't notice.)

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

I lol'd for real.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Greatest I am Valued Senior Member

What a fool. Whose logic should I use if not mine?

Good point though. The plethora of Christian sects show that that is basically what churches have done.

Regards
    DL

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Greatest I am Valued Senior Member

I could have given this to our friend but he would not understand the logic.

“Faith must trample under foot all reason, sense, and understanding.”

“Reason is a whore, the greatest enemy that faith has.”
    Martin Luther “

Regards
    DL

8. Greatest I am Valued Senior Member

You imply that Satan and God are the same.

In the case of the bible, I agree.

Regards
    DL

9. R1D2 many leagues under the sea. Valued Senior Member

Most warm beer tastes alike. I have given up drinking though but like a addict I think about a wet drop of beer in my mouth at times..

--------
    Either way the bible was written won't matter because good and evil are done in the name of there god or this angle or demon or this devil.
    You go by faith. As the bible says I walk by faith not by sight..

10. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

"Is the Bible the WORD of God or the WORD of Satan?"

The Bible is a book. When allowed, it can be a good or even a great book. When mis-used or abused, well...

As far as : "...the WORD of God or the WORD of Satan?"
    Those "WORDS" are the result of the WORK of people, not "God" nor "Satan", people!

11. billvon Valued Senior Member

No, I implied that your religion and the Christian religion are the same, with incredibly minor differences. Sorta like Bud Light and Miller Light. Sure, people who drink them claim they can tell a difference - but it's mostly in their heads. (Of course with religion it's ALL in their heads.)

12. Greatest I am Valued Senior Member

Sure but were they moral people?

Regards
    DL

13. Greatest I am Valued Senior Member

Quite a way to insult me.
    The differences between how I think and how Christians think is quite distant.

I do not embrace human sacrifice or the notion that it is good to punish the innocent instead of the guilty.

I cannot say that I have a religion since I am a perpetual seeker which is what Gnostics do but if you find them building a church or religion nowadays, let me know. It will be much better than what we now have.

Regards
    DL

14. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Hey Greatest:

You follow the Gnostic Gospels, correct?
    If that’s the case, it would be helpful for people here to know that, because it gives people a vantage point with you.
    I understand the main tenets of Gnosticism…but many don’t.
    It’s a fascinating religion, without all the religion.

15. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Actually no...Gnostics don't believe that Jesus died a physical death/crucifixion.
    HUGE difference between that and "mainstream" Christianity.
    It would be more like comparing beer and wine.

16. billvon Valued Senior Member

There is an episode of Star Trek where they rescue a man (Lokai) who is on the run. Half his face is black and half his face is white. Someone else from his race comes to collect him, and they begin fighting violently over the difference between their races. No one can figure this out since they appear identical and are biologically very similar. From the script:

====================
    BELE: It is obvious to the most simpleminded that Lokai is of an inferior breed.
    SPOCK: The obvious visual evidence, Commissioner, is that he is of the same breed as yourself.
    BELE: Are you blind, Commander Spock? Well, look at me. Look at me!
    KIRK: You're black on one side and white on the other.
    BELE: I am black on the right side.
    KIRK: I fail to see the significant difference.
    BELE: Lokai is white on the right side. All of his people are white on the right side.
    ================================

And on this tiny difference - that one person was white on the left, the other on the right - an entire war was waged. That's a HUGE difference, right?

I see people arguing over Gnostic vs mainstream, Protestants vs Catholics, Shi'a vs. Sunni in a similar fashion. Probably really important to the people involved, but from an outside perspective, hard to see much of a difference.

17. Greatest I am Valued Senior Member

Indeed. It is for thinking goats and not blissfully ignorant sheep.

Follow gospels is not how I would state it. Use them for dialog, yes. With luck that dialog leads to wisdom.
    I believe that all the gospels, from all religions, began as just stories that were to be used to open dialogs for people who sought God. Later they became propaganda.

If you have read some of the Gnostic gospels you will know that some are just as weird as the Christian water walking and animal talking ones.

All gospels till fairly recent times were all thought of as myths. Then foolish literalism raised it's stupid head.

Some try to brand Gnostics with the policies that Christianity promotes but they do not and cannot stick.

Especially sexism and chauvinism. We are accused of such sometimes but such a concept cannot be Gnostic because we believe in a God within us all and with such a belief, we have to respect those of the opposite sex as they have their Goddesses within them.

Christians are the ones who say that man is to rule over women.

Regards
    DL

18. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Nice post, Greatest ^^ I think you are often misunderstood, but some of that can be in the tenor of your threads. lol When I first saw the title of this thread...I was like...uh oh...here we go.

But, if people know what you believe, at least the basics...they can see where you're coming from...I'm glad you shared that about Gnosticism in another thread.

19. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

I hear you. I think to an atheist, it's a lot of hub bub about nothing. (literally nothing)
    To me, faith is a personal thing...a personal experience...
    If you find yourself arguing over your faith more often than not, you might be missing the whole point of it.

20. Greatest I am Valued Senior Member

You forget that the differences were large enough that when Constantine bought the then Orthodox Catholic Church, he along with them burned the Gnostic gospels and killed many of us who would not join Constantine's new church.

From the Gnostic POV, you are correct, there is not enough of a difference to kill for.

The Christians did not have that mind set.

Regards
    DL

21. Greatest I am Valued Senior Member

Thanks.

My purpose is not to spread my beliefs but to first knock people away from their foolish beliefs that even they find quite immoral. Hence their double moral standards.

If they do not care about their morals then I have no use for them.

After they see that morals is what life is all about then they might listen to a new POV of what they call God.

Regards
    DL

22. Greatest I am Valued Senior Member

Weg

"If you find yourself arguing over your faith more often than not, you might be missing the whole point of it."

Bingo. Against or to those who idol worship their Godinabook.

To a Gnostic, it is all about the argument and who wins it with logic and reason. More like philosophy than theology. More pure as it is pure thought regardless of faith as it becomes based on Gnosis or knowledge. Opinions are good. Knowledge is better. All religions ever give or can give is opinion.

Regards
    DL

23. billvon Valued Senior Member

Yep. And in the above example, the white-face-on-the-left people were killing the white-face-on-the-right people. Yet outsiders could barely tell the difference.
    And during the Troubles in Ireland, Protestants were killing Catholics (and vice versa) over similarly inane differences. But those differences were very important to them.

You seem to think there is a huge, massive difference as well.