ISS problems continue ...

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by Chagur, Nov 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dwayne D.L.Rabon Registered Senior Member

U.S. PRESIDENT Lyden B. Johnson

"If anything is going to slow down the advancement of the common man it is going to be red tape"

Needless Regulations, goverment red tape, premits ect, mis information ect....prevent the people from freedom, just as a monoply would prevent any other from developing a gain.
    the constrinment of free resouces, land, access to sea water on shore lines, wood, ect..... prevent a base establishment of any family,(housing cost 60% of income) how then could the common reach for space.
    as seen from the statememt of Lyden Johnson above, the process of what controll would do to the common public was known.
    DWAYNE D.L.RABON

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Neville Registered Senior Member

By empennage:
    Source please

I know it wont acheive anything but for movement in space why not use nuclear weapons/explosives? Space is a vacuum and so there is no friction. Why not have a cylindrical spaceship with a bomb on the front and a bomb at the back. Set off one (far enough away from the earth) and this will shoot the spaceship out into space at a great speed. With nothig to stop it the spaceship will just keep going. When they want to stop/come back then set off the other bomb

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

(not very scientific/accurate i know but its just a thought. Why not do this just to find out about outer space? Have an unmanned mission with cameras etc

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Mr. G reality.sys Valued Senior Member

So, what you are saying is that Columbus should have sent out Zillions of corked bottles containing hand-written messages instead of setting off on a westward tack for China?

Yet, he got it done far sooner by just doing it himself.

Do both, in parallel. Each method has its own worthy, distinct merits.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Jaxom Tau Zero Registered Senior Member

Neville, what you describe is the basics of Project Orion.

Project ORION Test Vehicle

Not the most efficient or cheap way to do travel, and it's not that fast in the end anyway. Plus, it's hard on the travelers.

But the real problem isn't propulsion once we get into space, it's GETTING INTO space that's costly, dangerous, and time consuming. Until a better method is used, we won't develop past occasional low orbit missions, with a few long range probes here and there.

8. Dwayne D.L.Rabon Registered Senior Member

Well i 'll say it again

HYDROGEN will float right out into outer space, carring its passengers and payload. no heavy booster needed.

however if you don't wait to wait three days or so, then your going to need a bosster rocket.

The cheapest way in to space it to fill a ballon with hydrogen and float into outer space, and then use the shell of the ballon as a solar sail, or magnetic sail, taking you to the far reaches of the solar system.
    in such a system the weight calculation remain the same from beging to end. and it is elemetary in practice, not much diffrent than building a ship and sailing to the Americas. maintain a orbit is achivable by using a atmospheric friction glider design. the dangers os such travel is that you are left to the guidence of the natural elements of space, simular to a hanglider, sailboat, bicycle, canoe ect.... this means success is the reward of the best navigator, just as in the 1500s
    basically to say what is your skill level.
    Lets remember that the acqusition of space the final frontier must be avilable to the masses, this is the ultimate achivement. Independance and freedom to do so and requires a invention that relys on the natural forces of space, the abundance, simular to the invention of the wheel,the stone spear,fire, the sailboat, ect....this is key to bringing the masses to the achivement of space at little or no cost.( for the common man, family or independent individual)
    DWAYNE D.L.RABON

9. Jaxom Tau Zero Registered Senior Member

Well Dwayne, a group is planning to try and go up that high.

http://www.riverdeep.net/current/2002/06/060302t_balloons.jhtml

However, getting to the fringes of the atmosphere does not equate to being in orbit or anywhere remotely near escape velocity. Good platform for near space experiments and pictures, but not as a transfer to space.

I suppose the balloon could carry a rocket, which then would launch from the high vantage point. I think I've seen that in both balloon and plane format. How much it ends up saving in cost is debatable.

I also found these numbers: At zero degrees centigrade, a 'vacuum balloon' would have a lift of about 28 grams for each 22.4 liters of volume. Obviously this is the upper limit for lift from a lighter-than-air craft. A helium balloon would have a lift of 24 grams for each 22.4 liters of volume; a hydrogen ballon would have a lift of 26 grams. So figure your average payload, plus some orbit booster weight, and then add the cost for that much helium/hydrogen. Probably need a lot.

10. Fukushi -meta consciousness- Registered Senior Member

It's just that humans can do things in space that machines can't, that's amongst other reasons a big factor for deciding wheter or not to put humans into earth orbit.

It's not the costs that makes it expensive, trust me: it's the concept that does.

There ARE cheaper alternatives for design. But it's not always the best designs that get develloped. More of the time it's the best lobbyed or marketed design.

A truly lack of imagination I call it, if you oppose humans in space, but you may call it expensive, shure: I won't deny it's expenses.

But it's not like it's in the range of expence like the 389billion dollar/year that the DOD gets.

If nobody wishes to go out there, then we might as well give up fantasysing. I don't give up, I hope, I dream.

Live long and prosper!
    greetz fukushi

11. Neville Registered Senior Member

Thanks for that Jaxiom. Dwayne thats a good idea!

12. Fukushi -meta consciousness- Registered Senior Member

And what about the space elevator?

It could be build in fifteen years and would bring costs down to a few dollars/pound to put in orbit.

and it's not expencive at all to build, right now they are bussy with getting enough funding.

I read about it on space.com a while ago,....every now and then I hear about it.

fifteen years isn't much at all.

13. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

Question is: What's going to be done with the ISS in the meantime?

14. Fukushi -meta consciousness- Registered Senior Member

the first LEO take-away! afterall: those people will be verry hungry after that elevator ride!

15. Neville Registered Senior Member

And how will red tape increase the speed of advancement for the common man Dwayne D.L.Rabon?? :bugeye:

Sound like him trying to sound good/get votes to me!!
    Is this a joke Fukushi?? lol

It would be blown down or surely would not stand for very long if at all! Plus there is the complication of weather conditions: storm, rain, wind, lightning!!...

Last edited: Dec 24, 2002
  16. Fukushi -meta consciousness- Registered Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.