It's time for an end to the death penalty in the U.S.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Seattle, Apr 29, 2015.

?

It's time for an end to the death penalty in the U.S.

1. I agree.

7 vote(s)
    58.3%
  2. I disagree.

5 vote(s)
    41.7%
  1. mathman Valued Senior Member

The U.S. Federal Prison system has a special place for those sentenced to life without parole. It is in the middle of nowhere. The inmates are in solitary confinement with no amenities 23 hours a day. It gives them a lot of time to think about their own wasted life. This is the alternative being argued for by the attornies of the Boston bomber.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Anew Life isn't a question. Banned

I may get insulted with a ? what are you talking about remark. O' well I'm just offering better trust with my commentary.

Considering the nonhumane what seem almost life stylish of 'voyeur direct habituations that game people and professions, and social scenario's, 'spare time surveillance 'strange social networking.

.seems the best idea for less crime and a begin of greater value for us humans would be; invent of an error free detector of personal space intrusion.

it's just necessary.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Seattle Valued Senior Member

We're better off (as a society) setting a good example in the way we treat prisoners than becoming petty ourselves with retribution.

The punishment is the deprivation of liberty. When you do more than that all you do is produce even worse criminals. If you want a murderer to reflect on his crimes then you have to make reflection his top priority. You don't do that will a prison scheme based on retribution.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Lets be honest though - our prison system isn't about reformation - it's about incarceration. So long as that remains the theme, even the non-violent criminals have only a modicum reason to change... hell, there are people who commit minor crimes to go to prison because it gets them off the street, three squares a day, etc...

8. Seattle Valued Senior Member

I am being honest. I just described a system based on retribution and not reformation. I disagree with that system.

9. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Absolutely we should end the death penalty. The only case I can see against it now is that radical Muslims, spending life in prison, could radicalize others who might not have life sentences.

10. sculptor Valued Senior Member

Premeditated murder by and for the state is still murder.

Not in my name please. Not now. Not ever.

11. mathman Valued Senior Member

How about life in solitary?

12. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Too cruel.

13. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

I vote we go back to a penal colony... on an island... surrounded by sharks... >_>

14. Seattle Valued Senior Member

That's not much of a reason for the death penalty however

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

There is a whole Muslim world outside of prison that can radicalize anyone who is susceptible but we generally deal with that without killing them all.

15. sculptor Valued Senior Member

A friend, Gary Gauger, was falsely accused, falsely convicted and falsely sentenced to death in Illinois.
    Turned me to anti death penalty.(my bias)
    The cops lied at his trial, and the judge was obviously biased. One little problem: HE WAS INNOCENT! ok
    So a couple years on death row (better'n AA ---got his alcoholism under control). He said that the time on death row wasn't all that bad, the guards had a rather relaxed approach, even let the inmates have a party (not like the general prison population). He was among a dozen exonerated and finally pardoned.
    How many innocents have to die for every guilty felon?
    for me
    one in a thousand is enough.
    If the system is so broken, why pretend that justice is involved?
    Why pretend that there is any such thing as an appropriate murder?

16. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Then what do you do with someone, such as those two young girls who repeatedly stabbed their friend "in the name of Slenderman" who feel they honestly didn't do anything wrong?

There are some people that can be reformed... there are many who commit crimes out of desperation or a feeling that they have no other choice... then there are some who are honest-to-God sociopathic or psychopathic and have NO BUSINESS being in society because they are a danger.

Why should we have to pay to keep those kinds of nutty mass-murderer types in a cozy cell with cable TV and food and activities, et al? At the very least, have em out chain-gang'ing and picking up trash, planting trees... something useful.

17. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

I'll make you a deal: I will agree that we can keep the death penalty for certain crimes in the U.S. if ... should it emerge that we have executed an innocent person, the police and prosecutors involved in that case are also put to death, as well as the government executive who signed the death warrant.

Capital punishment is about vengeance.

Vengeance has nothing to do with justice.

We've executed innocent people. No amount of vengeance against the guilty can justify this. And no vengeance in human history has gained our species a damn thing.

18. Seattle Valued Senior Member

Your concern is why should we have to pay to keep an unreformable criminal alive? What if they didn't kill someone but are an unreformable thief?

Money isn't the issue, nor is cable TV. TV is for the general safety of the guards more than anything else. You don't imprison people and then turn them into animals.

If you take away someone's freedom that is the punishment. It's now up to society to treat them humanely.

If only the violent offenders were in prison there wouldn't be many people in prison and money to house them wouldn't be much of a factor.

If money is the issue then quit locking up so many people for drug related offenses. If we did that our rates of incarceration would be more in line with the rest of the world. That's the way to save money if that is the issue.

19. billvon Valued Senior Member

Because it's cheaper than executing them. Why should we pay extra to execute them when we can save money by keeping them in a hole the rest of their lives?
    Right next to the school! I'd prefer them to just be in jail forever, period.

20. kx000 Valued Senior Member

How will people know we hate them?

21. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Let us say we put a serial killer in prison. He/she starts killing others there like the guards and other inmates. Keeping him/her in prison would only allow them to keep killing and never pay for their crimes.

22. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

How can it be cheaper to execute them when IF the justice system worked fast in letting them appeal quickly they could get the criminal through within a year or two at the most. Now tell me how that's not cheaper than keeping them alive for the rest of their lives? Don't forget they will need medical care , dental care an eye care while they are doing life. They also could receive heart transplants, kidney and other organs as well. That's allot of money wasted as well as organs which could be used by other honest, law abiding citizens.

23. sculptor Valued Senior Member

OMG
    You wand to use criminals as organ donors?
    Soilent green anyone?
    Grok?