Jesus Without The Bible...?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Thoreau, Jun 2, 2011.

1. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

you have already admitted that you would 'obey' only if God were to prove himself,
    its like listening to an expert because you have a choice to, and listening to someone who is in authority over you just because he is the boss..
    when he wants us to know something, he will make it clear..the knowledge that is, not the fact that it is from him.

if one can get past all the 'do as your told's that is in religion and the bible, one can begin to see the knowledge/wisdom.

unfortunately, like you say "Some will be rule breakers by choice" so there will be lots of ppl who require 'do as your told' (its usually easier to 'do as your told' than to 'think for yourself')

so i will mildly disagree with the 'guessing' part,(he does give us lots of clues)
    but i think the second part is a fair statement (confused and poorly sourced)
    (see intentional 'think for yourself' errors in bible)

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Regular0ldguy This is so much fun! Registered Senior Member

I would obey, but would everyone? That was the claim. But I'm a big puss.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. gmilam Valued Senior Member

There you go again. You don't have a clue as to what I've been through, how I live my life, or how sincere my search has been.

All you have are the voices in your head - a "remnant" of your "loopy" phase.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

but even so, if God were to prove himself it would change us as a species, it would corrupt us in Gods eyes.(IMO)

8. Regular0ldguy This is so much fun! Registered Senior Member

I just can't fathom this.

1) He wants us to worship and obey him.

2) He punishes us forever if we won't or don't.

3) He showed up to a couple of guys WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY back, and then through a representative who was born and raised here, reportedly performed some miracles and then got killed by mortals.

4) There's lots of competition for Deity status around the world.

5) How could knowing the truth "corrupt" us? Does he only want people to follow him who hope his particular story was the right one on the menu and who are not particularly in need of convincing evidence of truth? Surely the bar isn't that low. I would think he would be interested in a little higher quality group of minds/hearts than that. Really, this is like being so proud of getting laid by the loosest woman in town. She'll do anyone. Is that what he thinks is the uncorrupted mind?

Also, what in the heck would be wrong with changing us? We just ain't that hot the way we are.

9. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

there you go again. i could say the same to you about my life and my experience.

10. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

i think it is more of a 'listen' than an 'obey',
    otherwise that premise is from the bible and because of the canonization, from religion

natural consequence of our actions, not he 'punishes' us.

there are numerous ppl who claim to have a message from God and are trying to spread this..what makes those guys special?

alot of competition for 'do as we tell you'

changing the meaning of what i said doesn't help.

like those that would think for themselves?

ok, now this is getting to where i struggle...
    the logical progression to what i am saying equals 'we are perfect the way we are', and i do not agree with that, i believe we are ALL screwed up..

11. Regular0ldguy This is so much fun! Registered Senior Member

Fine, whatever you feel it says to you. I'm thinking there are a lot of things in the old book about worshiping him. At least a couple in the commandments alone.

There aren't any "natural consequences" given that the guy wrote the whole rule book (unless you are a Leibnitz type who thinks natural laws exist apart from and independently of God - which makes him more of a spaceman who lives here with us.)

Well your competitors have always taught me that they were special and rare and not every ditz had actual conversations with the holy one, and those that did get sainted rather than institutionalized.

I meant there are a lot of alternative Gods vying for your belief commitment, and that's just the current crop. If you count the historical ones. Sheesh think of all the indian versions, and then the greeks and romans, and all the tribes, and every other group of 7 or more folks who shared a hut. They are truly countless. Like Quine's invisible fat man in the door, there is no end to them.

OK, didn't realize, so "corrupt us in God's eyes" meaning what? Only he would see us as corrupt, and we wouldn't really be corrupted? I don't follow that.

Well yes but with the caveat that they thought in a high quality manner, and not like a ditzy, undisciplined, uncaring, unreflective, knee-jerk, believe whatever my mom told me , or just go through the motions and it will eventually become part of you (Pascal's wager) goof off.

Some of us more than others, you would have to admit.

Nothing said here is directed at you personally BTW. Not kidding.

12. gmilam Valued Senior Member

I base my understanding of you on your words.

If it's any consolation, I believe that you believe. And, as long as you're not a danger to yourself or others - I don't care if you hear voices.

On the other hand, I find your holier than thou attitude a bit obnoxious and arrogant.

13. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

again, i would say the same thing to you.

14. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

it is amazing how many ppl refer to the old testament when talking about God,New testament has a different flavor to it..
    (old testament is more 'do as your told or else', new testament is more of 'this is why this needs to be done'

i do not believe the bible is the unerring word of God (you should've figured that one by yourself) i believe it is mans attempt to communicate God to others.
    this discussion is starting to sound like the basic theist/atheist disscusion, IE theist shares views, atheist dismisses view no matter what.

my competitors?
    and Man does the sainting not God.

i have explained my beliefs in this respect (i think i have explained it to you)

you had changed 'knowing God exist' to 'knowing the truth' two different concepts.

this is what the problem is in my opinion, too many ppl too willing to believe just anything a person says about God.

fake it till you make it?

hell,i am usually the first one to say that i am screwed up..

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

15. gmilam Valued Senior Member

Then it's a good thing I'm not trying to convince anyone that the creator of the universe has me on speed dial.

Surely I'm not the first one to be skeptical.

16. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

it's called christianity. you know, that major world religion? what i'm testifying to is what the bible is about. you know, the most well known book on the entire planet?

17. heart Registered Senior Member

and with the most contradictions

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

18. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

are you just parroting other's sentiments, or do you know of any specific contradictions?

19. keith1 Guest

--The Book of matches.
    --The Passport book.

The Bible is the most well known book that couldn't be given away for free*.

*Though some have been coerced with potlucks.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2011
  20. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

The Bible which means Book so you could say " The Book " well it has good stories in it . Shit yeah lot of them . That whole Job thing and him being bushwhacked , man tough life . Pretty good plot if you ask me . Seems like modern versions with exra twists would make a big seller in the movie industry
    I tell you Kings is the shit though . Following genealogies is fun too . Abraham was born before Noah died . Did you know that ? Don't seem possible ? Yet it don't seem possible my grandpa lived during the civil war either and his dad owning slaves . Well Noah living while Abraham is a lot bigger stretch then even my personal anomaly. It does make the book have a mystic though . Yeah fantasy island type stuff . Could there be logical explanations? I don't know , pretty far fetched ! Maybe though . Maybe some misinformation or embellished information. You all know how stories get inflated

21. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

people can wish all they want; doesn't make it true.

22. keith1 Guest

There is only one right answer among a myriad of wrong ones, that the wrong ones seem often like a majority rule. Ignorance and failure are difficult to overcome, unless slapped severely with the cold reality...of reality.

23. heart Registered Senior Member

Judge for yourself based on this link which uses scriptures from the Bible

http://www.skeptically.org/bible/id6.html