Job offer?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Beer w/Straw, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

I answered this job offer on kijiji (can't find original link

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

) about just posting stuff on indeed.com

And the guy wants:

As all I know... Well I don't...

Any advice?

:EDIT:

I'm not living on campus, hence, I can't loose myself in a crowd.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
  2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. exchemist Valued Senior Member

I think I would expect some form of face to face contact, e.g. interview or equivalent, before the candidate is asked to reveal full personal details including bank details. I find it odd if payment methods are being discussed before any of this has happened. Have you had an interview? Have you actually been offered a job by these people. Have they sent you contract to sign?

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

Hello,

How are you Today? Thanks for mailing us. We are offering you a job to post for us on www.indeed.ca. We want you to assist us with posting ads 2-3 times weekly on www.indeed.ca which is absolutely free for you. We will also pay you $250 per week.

It would only require 10-15 minutes of your time and applicants should be 18 years and above.This can be done alongside any other job you have got at hand and Ads can be posted any time of the day. So it is very flexible for both full time workers and students.

Let us know if you can handle this and if you are interested in the job offer so we can provide you more details as regards the job and payment process. Kindly get back to us asap via email as we will want you to start work immediately. We will await your response asap if you are interested in this job offer.

PS: Kindly Note that this is a work from Home or office Job which does not require any interview since it is an online posting job. The Name of our company is Sentry Investments.

Warm Regards,
    Consultant / HR Manager,
    David Cole.
    Sentry Investments.®
    (647) 556 8394.

That was emailed to me.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Did you mail them, or was this an unsolicited mail to you?

And why are they telling you the name of their company, if you have already mailed them? Wouldn't you need to know that in order to send them a mail?

By the way, I've just called that number and it rings, but nobody answered. I had been intending to ask to speak to a Mr David Cole, just to check he exists. I'd suggest if you are interested in working for these people that you ring up and check you get a sensible story as to who they are.

But there is a company of that name : https://www.linkedin.com/company/sentry-investments_50098 so they may be kosher.

But $250/wk for 10-15 mins/day sounds too good to be true.

Beer w/Straw likes this.
  8. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

I replied to a job offer on Kijiji.

I offered to go and see them at their office I looked up in my adjacent city (no remark to that by them).

I'm not totally stupid; I just can't afford to be reckless.

I don't think this "job" is a real deal.

9. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

That jumped out to me too. It sounds way to good to be true.

pjdude1219 and sideshowbob like this.
  10. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

11. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

It's probably a scam that they need a patsy for. You 'post the ads', they reel in the suckers; if they get in trouble, they give out your address.
    Any company that can only pay by certified cheque or money order probably doesn't have an office or business license - it's some guy in his mother's basement, pretending to be an investment counsellor. He may be a very good stock market analyst; may even be on the [entry] level, but I sure wouldn't bet on it.

Beer w/Straw likes this.
  12. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Yes I think you want to eyeball someone, in a real office, before you give them any bank details!!!!!!

Beer w/Straw likes this.
  13. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

Thee apostrophes are noted.

14. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

Bricks and mortar have their value.

15. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

If you can write that in a more intellectual context...

As it stands, you're calling me a worthless piece of crap.

16. sculptor Valued Senior Member

sentry was acquired by another company last year
    google the phone number
    and
    it seems that someone has posted that this is a scam

emails are not to be taken at "face value"
    not now
    not ever

17. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

What?

I was confirming what exchemist said, that it's nice to have a real place where you can actually go instead of just a virtual image on the Internet.

How on earth do you get any kind of comment about you from what I said?

18. billvon Valued Senior Member

Because you're not made out of bricks and mortar?

In any case, sounds like a scam. Here's what I'd expect:

1) They ask you to post more job offers just like the one you answered.
    2) They pay you with a check. It's 500 bucks! Then they call and say "hey, we overpayed you! Sorry, it's been crazy here. Could you send us a check for 250 back? Do that and I'll make sure you get a check next week for 250."
    3) The check for 500 bounces.
    4) They get someone else hooked via the ads you placed and the cycle repeats.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
  19. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

That I'm a worthless human being not fit for anything but manual labor.

:EDIT:

I'm to be used and nothing more.

20. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

I didn't mention you at all, nor did I mention manual labour. The "bricks and mortar" refer to a building that you can go to.

By the way, I spent most of my life doing manual labour. If anything, you're insulting me by suggesting that it's somehow less valuable. But I'm not offended.

21. iceaura Valued Senior Member

That was not written by a native speaker of English capable of writing legitimate ad copy for the American market.

And the trouble of sending you the ad copy, paying you via certified checks or money orders, etc, in addition to insulating them from blowback (nothing traces back to them - they are firewalled at the website), wipes out their profit margin - it would take them less time as well as money to simply post the ads themselves.

22. Gawdzilla Sama Valued Senior Member

"Brick and mortar" refers to an physical presence for a place of business, somewhere you can go and meet the people you're talking to. Amazon doesn't have any "brick and mortar" stores. Some businesses are getting away from them completely.

23. exchemist Valued Senior Member

NAAAOOOoooooh!

Relax, BwS. He's just agreeing, with both of us, that visiting a physical bricks-and-mortar office, with real people in it you can talk to, creates a lot more trust that you are not dealing with a scammer.

By that way, did you try that number? (Much as I take a fatherly interest in your wellbeing, I'm not sure I can be bothered to try it again myself.

)