kurdestan issue.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by stacy, Apr 28, 2004.

1. stacy Registered Senior Member

Since there are so many bright headed young people here, I would like to know what's your opinion about Kurdistan and kurds in general.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Eluminate Registered Senior Member

personally I have very limited opinion on the issue but I do know this; for one iran,turkey,syriah, iraq would be directly physically effected by the creation of a kurdish state but it also would create lots of unwanted effects for other countries in the region. Like armenia, russia, georgia, azeibardjan maybe they wont mind having it around maybe they will but kurdistan would create a severe conflict in the region. Imagine a full blown out civil war with approximately 10+ million participants in mostly mountaneous region. Now this isn't al'quida or saddam with their paper armies this is actual people that are willing to put their lives down for the creation of their state if given a chance. This chance wont happen probably for lots of reasons.

Some of which is turkeys army is placed in the region directly on the areas where most kurds live which unlike the other armies in the region is not a paper one but actually works. US doesn't want it happening for fear it would interfere with their plans + allies *turkey mainly* who are worth much more to the US interests then the creation of a Kurdish state. And lots of other factors.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. otheadp Banned Banned

Kurds should have an autonomy at the minimum, and a full Kurdistan nation-state at the maximum.

i used to know a Iraqi Kurdish guy, and he hates arabs and turks so much it's frightening. Kurds are butchered in Assad's Syria (only you don't hear it on CNN), they were butchered in Saddam's Iraq, they're marginalized in Turkey, and hate to live in Shia Iran (that guy calls Shias fanatics)

unlike another certain "people", the Kurds actually are a people. they have their own language, their own physiological features, culture, and a former nation-state that lasted for less than 2 years, and then was conquered and divided by 4 invading nations.

they deserve sovereignty
    it would be moraly just and fair to give them independence, and as soon as the UN gets reshuffled and reorganized and the ME is more stable, i hope Kurdistan can be reborn.

Eluminate, why do you think the creation of Kurdistan will bring civil war? i know Turkey (and probably The New Iraq) won't like it... but what do Armanians care?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Eluminate Registered Senior Member

actually i know about the recent Syriahn attacks on Kurds in the northern provinces...
    NOONE DESERVES SOVERGNTY unless they earn it themselves... It has to fought for and won in a war of independance without direct military aid of a foreighn power. (weapons ok but troops no). This is how it was most of the time through history.

Turkey will not give up eastern provinces where Kurds are prevailing simply because they have the strength to keep them. And in Fact stationed the Bulk of their Forces there to convey that message. If the kurds rise up in turkey it would be a huge slaughter.

But those in Iraq and Syriah could possibly merge if they successfuly unite a struggle and have physical connections to each other *i mean if iraq kurd position touches syriahn kurd position*.

Also it could effect armenia indirectly by having gun traffic through it and incursion through it to manuver in non enemy territory which in effect would disrupt armenia.
    Whenever someone gets nationalistic they usually try to claim as much as possible even if it didnt belong to them and have incursions spread all around. Sort of like a ripple effect. This is how I see it maybe I m wrong but I dont think I am.

If kurdistan gets reborn it would be amid severe Carnage and even if US troops dont get involved the Turks would definetely help any other nation with putting down Kurds OR and its a big OR they might let it be created and just push out all their Kurds into that region by force expulting them. Which has precident by happening in a mutual fashion between them and greece in the 1920s.

8. Overdose From the steppes of Mongolia Registered Senior Member

Kurds are one of the ethnicities living in Turkiye and some other countries. In the I. World War many groups such as Greeks, Romanians.... won their independence against the already bussy and weak Ottoman Empire. Kurds couldnt win anything so couldnt have a country.
    Now years later they look for their own country?! There are many different ethnic backgrounded people in Turkiye.. what if everybody would want their own country? Its like USA.. E Pluribus Unum.

9. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Does anybody know the history of the Kurdish people? Who are they, where did they come from? Are they Indo-European, Semitic, Cushitic, Dravidian, Ural-Mongol-Finno-Turkic, Georgian...? Who are their closest relatives? What family does their language belong to? How did they get to be where they are? Were they conquered/colonized by one of the four original Afro-Asiatic civilizations and adopted their ways, or are they pastoral nomads?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2004
  10. Undecided Banned Banned

Kurds to my knowledge only exist by language is a branch of Indo-European languages, and close to Persian. They are majority Sunni, and that's pretty much it. The Kurds never in their history have had a homeland, and they won't get one either. There are too many interests in the ME to give them that land. It's a dream but I don't think it will ever happen. The US would have to alienate Turkey, Iraq, Iran, Syria and who knows what would happen to the Kurds. Should they have their own land? Surely, will they get it? No. Real Politik dictates as such, having 1/3 of Iraq's oil they have no natural outlet to export that oil. That is the worst part about being a Kurd. They are totally and completely dependant on her neighbors. They should have been given independence back in the post-Versailles period but an Ataturk Turkey dashed the dreams of both Armenia and Kurdistan. No nation was in the mood to go into another war, and especially with Turkey. The Greeks got their asses kicked quite badly by Turkey. Kurdistan had her chance sadly for her it never really happened. They are the true victims of the Middle East.

11. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

So they're like the Tajiks, another branch of the Persian people who got separated during the centuries of Greek, Arab, and Ottoman occupation.
    Even the Tajiks got to be a Soviet republic. I imagine Tajikistan might have been a nation of sorts during the Ottoman era.
    It's hard for most of us Americans to understand that. Everybody comes here and becomes Americans. For the first generation or two they make a big deal about being whatever ethnic group they started out as, but by the third generation they've intermarried and the original nationality is just something they think about on holidays.
    Yeah, the Ottoman Empire was a Big Player for hundreds of years. The Ottomans were, after all, about the seventh wave of Mongolian Hordes. China is the only nation that ever successfully stood up to the Mongolians and it took them a couple of centuries of passive resistance to conquer them in their own peculiar fashion: by assimilation.
    There are plenty of true victims in the Mideast. Like 100 percent of the women, for starters.