Life over time without religion

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Xmo1, Aug 20, 2015.

1. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Maybe he was addressing the issue of his time. He didn't reserve his compassion for only the wealthy, but also offered it to the lowly. All were equally empowered with the same promise.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

He was explaining the proper way to beat your slave. And I don't buy that "issue of his time". Does the Bible apply now or not? Does Jesus' teaching apply now or not? Why didn't he or anyone else speak out against owning another person as property? How is this morally defensible?

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Please supply the scripture where he explains how to properly beat your slave. What I recall is an explanation on how to serve your master. How is that applicable now? We are all servants to a master. If you're employed, there is someone above you that requires your service. Yes, you can quit your job, but eventually you will need another. Even if you're self-employed, you're serving others. The social structure may have changed from back in his day, but the message is still pertinent.

Here's an interesting link on the subject if you have time.
    http://www.revelation.co/2013/06/09...lave-as-long-as-they-dont-die-exodus-2120-21/

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I may be employed, but I'm not owned. Shame on you for conflating the two.

8. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

I suppose it's a matter of perception. I would think that if you're employed, you have been purchased.

9. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Being paid for your time, energy and skill is considerably different from being enslaved--even if it isn't full-time slavery.

10. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Slavery was widespread in Jesus's era. The economy of the Roman Empire would have collapsed without it. If he had spoken out against it, it would have greatly reduced his influence, and he would have run afoul of the law at a much earlier age. The fact that he did not actually speak out adds to the evidence that he was nothing more than a flesh-and-blood human like the rest of us. (If he even existed at all. The total evidence for that existence is not exactly overwhelming.)

11. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Are you free to do what you want while employed? Again, yes, you can quit your job, but eventually you will need to find employment that will, most likely, place the same restrictions on your liberty. I'm not saying it's the exact same thing as is slavery, yet we still find ourselves serving others.

12. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

I don't believe he came to rectify the injustice of slavery, but rather, the human condition that is sin--as I understand it.

13. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

You understand how an innocent baby is somehow born sinful? That's perverse.

14. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Jesus was the stereotypical preacher of apocalyptic doom who had the additional hangup of thinking he was actually the Son of God who would return with angels to burn sinners in hellfire. He actually said that:

15. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

I think we are born into a sinful world. You would need be a perfect person not to fall into its temptations.

16. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

That's an actual quote from Jesus?

17. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Matt 13:…40"So just as the tares are gathered up and burned with fire, so shall it be at the end of the age. 41"The Son of Man will send forth His angels, and they will gather out of His kingdom all stumbling blocks, and those who commit lawlessness,42and will throw them into the furnace of fire; in that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth."

18. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Okay, so what's your issue with the above?

24 Another parable put he forth unto them, saying, The kingdom of heaven is likened unto a man which sowed good seed in his field:

25 But while men slept, his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat, and went his way.

26 But when the blade was sprung up, and brought forth fruit, then appeared the tares also.

27 So the servants of the householder came and said unto him, Sir, didst not thou sow good seed in thy field? from whence then hath it tares?

28 He said unto them, An enemy hath done this. The servants said unto him, Wilt thou then that we go and gather them up?

29 But he said, Nay; lest while ye gather up the tares, ye root up also the wheat with them.

30 Let both grow together until the harvest: and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, Gather ye together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them: but gather the wheat into my barn.

King James Version (KJV)
    by Public Domain

19. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

He said it himself. He will return to burn sinners with fire just as they burned the tares of wheat. It's right there. That's what he believed. Quite the lunatic in my book.

20. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Who would you invite to live with you in your house? Also, what do you do with all those who can't come in the door?

21. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

I don't burn people who don't worship me in fire. Do you? Would you worship someone who did?

22. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

I'm not a god, so I can't judge the eternal destination for anyone. I think the object of worship is within his teachings. If all he talked about was hell and damnation, then yeah, I would be doubtful, but that's not the focal of his sermons.

23. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

That's what he said. That's what he believed. It's delusional and psychotic. Anyone who claimed as much nowadays would be committed. And they wouldn't be worshipped as God.