Lucky Little Bastards :o)

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Bowser, Jun 3, 2016.

1. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Oh, the days when you received summer vacation every year 'til adulthood...

cluelusshusbund likes this.
  2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

I loved it so much that i quit school at 15 to make my vacation permanate... plus i was makin money pickin pickles... an then i made even more money doin roofin work... an then i worked at a nasty bakery whare the money was good... an then i moved up to janitor work whare the real money was.!!!

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

When I attended school, high school that is, they had a agriculture class and I chose it. At the agriculture center I could raise chicken to get their eggs to sell. I could buy a steer to raise and sell when it was large enough and potted plants to sell to local landscape businesses. While other took their other courses in whatever they choose I figured I'd earn money while going to school, which I did and bough a new car with my earnings. Try to find ways of earning money while in school and never drop out. Getting that high school diploma is one of the best things that you can achieve but do not stop there keep on going to college and get your doctorate.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

My mom used to say, "If the kids would walk to the gym instead of being driven by their parents, they wouldn't have to go to the gym."

In summer we used to spend the whole day at the playground. The swings were a 2 x 6 plank that weighed more than we did. There was a "merry-go-round" that the big kids would spin as fast as they could to try to throw the little kids off. The little kids loved it. There was a factory whistle that told us when to go home for lunch.

I never even heard of allergies until I was a teenager.

Life was so much simpler before safety was invented.

8. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

As low as 3rd grade us boys carried pocket knifes an played knife games at recess.!!!

sideshowbob likes this.
  9. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

All through my youth summers were spent without adult supervision since everyone's parents worked. We were free range children, roaming far and wide. Our only concern was the police. We didn't have video games, the internet, or any other electronic diversion. We had to find our own adventures. I really miss those days with my friends.

I wonder if summer break has the same meaning for today's kids.

10. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Yeah i had free run of the naborhood an my small town of 2000(?)... an even befor the first grade... i woud find cola bottles an sell 'em for 2 cents each... an it woud pizz the owner off... but i woud pick up the empty bottles people left on the front porch of his grocery store an sell "his" bottles back to him for 2 cents each... lol.!!!

Shinin shoes was a good bidness that kept me in spendin money for a few of my younger years... i charged 15 cents but a lot of people woud give me a quarter.!!!
    The least fun job i ever had was sellin "Grit" newspapers... it took a lot of time an sometimes hard to colect money from customers.!!!

When i was a kid... the closest i had to a laptop was watchin a b&w tv while hoildin a Etch-A-Sketch... lol... but i also played baseball an basketball... an lots kids today also have socker an dance available to 'em... but yes... times are a changin.!!!

11. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

We had the city to explore. It seems that our travels ranged around the neighborhood and beyond when we were young. When we came into possession of cars and acquired new friends, our exploration really exploded There was almost always a party somewhere when we were teens and plenty of trouble to be found.

I picked strawberries when I was real young, getting up early in the morning and catching a bus to the fields. Had a paper route for a bit, but got tired of listening to the old people who couldn't remember receiving the paper the day before. You're right, it wasn't an issue until it was time to collect the money.

When I was a teen, my parents bought what I think was an Atari. It plugged into the television and had cartridges. It was entertaining for about the first 30 minutes, but we never returned.

I think the one advantage to the new age is that kids don't find trouble when they're locked up in their rooms watching NetFlix or surfing the internet, which makes life easier for parents. On the downside, I think they are missing out on an important aspect of youth, which is the exploration of life with close friends. There's a certain amount of bonding when spending time with your friends and sharing in a mutual experience.