mammoths still alive 5,000 ybp

But, but, but, don't you see? This proves that climate change cannot be real. :confused:
Ummmm don't quite see the linkc

Climate always changing and Earth has gone through a few Ice Ages

CAUSE of any change is debatable

Currently 2 main schools of thought
  • climate IS changing and us Minions are the CAUSE (although we are going into Global Warming seems to a different tune change to we are going into a Ace Age a few years back)
  • climate IS changing us Minions not the cause
As I read the cards years ago we seemed to be heading into a natural cyclic Ice Age

Perhaps now we won't???

I also contend we don't really have computers which can juggle all the climate balls in addition to looking into a Crystal Ball computer at the past and predict the future

:)

Ummmm don't quite see the linkc

Climate always changing and Earth has gone through a few Ice Ages

CAUSE of any change is debatable

Currently 2 main schools of thought
  • climate IS changing and us Minions are the CAUSE (although we are going into Global Warming seems to a different tune change to we are going into a Ace Age a few years back)
  • climate IS changing us Minions not the cause
As I read the cards years ago we seemed to be heading into a natural cyclic Ice Age

Perhaps now we won't???

I also contend we don't really have computers which can juggle all the climate balls in addition to looking into a Crystal Ball computer at the past and predict the future

No I'm just have a laugh at sculptor's expense, that's all. Normally when he posts in Earth Sciences, there is a climate change denial angle:rolleyes:. Though I admit I'm struggling to see it on this occasion.

But, but, but, don't you see? This proves that climate change cannot be real. :confused:
some days
You remind me of the story of the piper who wanted to play all night long, but only knew the one tune.
About 3: am, everyone being a tad drunk, there was a discussion to remind the piper of the old joke:
"What is the difference between a bagpipe and an onion?"

A new analysis of the DNA samples reveals that woolly mammoths, wild horses and steppe bison were around as recently as 5,000 years ago—some 8,000 years later than previously thought, according to a study published this week in Nature Communications.
Interesting.

Do you have any questions or comments on this important finding? Anything to ... discuss, say?

Interesting.

Do you have any questions or comments on this important finding? Anything to ... discuss, say?

OK
with high confidence, we have mammoths on Wrangel island circa 3700 years ago
and, now
perhaps mammoths in Alaska circa 5700 years ago
It seems that the early Holocene was much warmer than today
and
It seems that the mammoth's main food were forbs
so
(here's the guess part)
The warmth of the early Holocene replaced the mammoth step biom consisting of mainly forbs was replaced by grasslands and shrub lands
and further
the bolide explosion over southern Canada circa 13000 years ago(the younger dryas impact hypothesis) (History of Geology: The Younger Dryas impact hypothesis ) reduced the mammoth population to a dangerously low level from which they never fully recovered.

But, it now seems that the remnant population may have hung on for another 7300 years in suitable refuges.
interesting indeed

It seems that the early Holocene was much warmer than today
Is this a thread about mammoths, or about climate? If it's the latter, you should be up front and honest about your intended topic.

It is fairly uncontroversial that the early Holocene was warmer than today, is it not?

On the other hand, the rate that the climate changed was much slower than the current rate of (anthropogenic) climate change.
so
(here's the guess part)
The warmth of the early Holocene replaced the mammoth step biom consisting of mainly forbs was replaced by grasslands and shrub lands
and further
the bolide explosion over southern Canada circa 13000 years ago(the younger dryas impact hypothesis) (History of Geology: The Younger Dryas impact hypothesis ) reduced the mammoth population to a dangerously low level from which they never fully recovered.

But, it now seems that the remnant population may have hung on for another 7300 years in suitable refuges.
interesting indeed
Okay. So you have a hypothesis. Do you intend to test it, somehow? Are you in communication with the actual researchers - the experts on mammoths?

Is this a thread about mammoths, or about climate? If it's the latter, you should be up front and honest about your intended topic.

It is fairly uncontroversial that the early Holocene was warmer than today, is it not?

On the other hand, the rate that the climate changed was much slower than the current rate of (anthropogenic) climate change.

Okay. So you have a hypothesis. Do you intend to test it, somehow? Are you in communication with the actual researchers - the experts on mammoths?

Actually, what I am unfamiliar with is their dna analysis.
their chart:
41467_2021_27439_Fig2_HTML.png

in which, we see rapid change at the lgm and at the hypothesized bolide event
and
causation remains uncertain
ergo
"Your thoughts."

addendum to the above
Climate change is a given
Terrestrial flora and fauna change is the interesting part.

Found this from the local NT Newspaper few weeks ago

IMG20210915144336~01.jpg

So we might be able to buy a McDonald's woolly mammoth burger soon :)

Back