Mars coordinate systems

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by aimee, Feb 8, 2006.

1. aimee Registered Member

Does anybody know where I can find info on different inertial coordinate systems for Mars?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. draqon Banned Banned

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Nova1021 Registered Senior Member

Try this too:
    http://planetarynames.wr.usgs.gov/TOCmarsmain.html

For whatever reason, in 2002 they decided to change which direction longitude increases on Mars.

8. aimee Registered Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Thank you, these sites are incredibly interesting. I'll root around and see if I can find what I'm looking for. What I'm looking for is a coordinate system which does not rotate as the planet rotates. For example, one might be like this:

+x axis: from Mars' center of mass to the Sun's center of mass
    +z axis: Mars's magnetic north pole
    +y axis: the cross-product of the +x and +z axes

So, the +x axis is always pointing toward the Sun even as the planet rotates. A body-fixed coordinate system would rotate as the planet rotates as it is "fixed" to the "body" of Mars. The systems I am looking for are fixed to some external body or region of space such as the Sun. I'm sure at least one of these sites will give me some clues as to where I may find the answers I'm looking for.

Thanks,

Aimee

9. draqon Banned Banned

hey Aimee, I am also a college student, doing some research on Mars, if you wanna like hook up, maybe we can do research on Mars together...I know lotsa about Mars...

10. aimee Registered Member

I don't know about hooking up since you're on a different continent. ;-) However, I'd love to talk about Mars and other space stuff.

11. draqon Banned Banned

umm...I am a citizen of Russia and U.S at the same time. and currently reside in Michigan

12. aimee Registered Member

Ok, my mistake for assuming too much. I'd still like to talk about space stuff, though.

13. draqon Banned Banned

So...why do you need the Martian map anyways? Is it a project or just of personal interest or an assignment for a class?

14. aimee Registered Member

I'm working on a project called Rosetta. As we pass by Mars, we may collect data. My job is to determine how the particles are flowing through the different sectors of the instrument where they are measured.

15. draqon Banned Banned

wow...ur actually part of that project?...nice...so how are u going to collect data during the flyby? using the lander's instruments or the orbiter's camera's? .... Cosima or Giada instruments?

Duh ur lucky...I tried to squeeze in the Phoenix project...but with no success...maybe when Ill become a sophmore, then Ill fight to do something in that project.

Anyways...regarding the map...would this work better? http://planetarynames.wr.usgs.gov/mgrid_mola.html

16. D H Some other guy Valued Senior Member

Guys! Stop giving her maps. Aimee wants Mars inertial coordinates, not planet-fixed.

Aimee:
    I assume that you want the transformation between Mars inertial (origin=Mars center of mass, axes=J2000 or ICRF) and Mars planet-fixed. What you need to accomplish that is a way to build a Mars RNP (rotation/nutation/precession) matrix as a function of time (and you need a Martian time representation to do that). Have you tried contacting the people at JPL who work with the Rovers?

17. draqon Banned Banned

18. aimee Registered Member

Thanks a bunch. I'm using SPICE, so I have spoken with the SPICE guys at JPL. They've been very helpful, but I'll look into this as well.

19. aimee Registered Member

Thanks for the links. I'll see what I can find there.