Mars!

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by tetra, Mar 4, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sir. Loone Jesus is Lord! Registered Senior Member

Re: NO! NO!! NO!!!!

You have been reading too many Sci-Fi novels 'Chagur'!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Or the movies about space, Mars. or something, etc.! Calm down we [Earth] will be alright!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Thank you, Sir. Loone. Your vote of confidence means a lot. It is only when I see such that I realize that others enjoy such as much as I do.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Pro. Max Arturo Good God, I'm not Howard! Registered Senior Member

Re: Re: NO! NO!! NO!!!!

One shouldn't worry too much over Chagur's writings. He is simply excited over his new found grammatical skills. I believe that he may actually be coherent in a day, or two.....

WELL DONE CHAGUR! WELL DONE!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. coltallen Registered Member

Great stuff. I wish that the pics were working that wet1 put up.

8. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

They are indeed working. There is a problem with the setup/display in your computer. There is also the possibility that you may not have enough video memory as there are several pictures on the same page. Normally I try not to put more than one picture per page as not eveyone can get all the pictures and this is what will happen. That is not to say that is the problem but it might be.

Look at the Farewell to Jupiter thread in the Astromony section and see if you see a picture. If you do the sources of the pictures are not pasted to this page but are linked to the original site. This means you are unable to display multiple links or lack the visual capability to display. If you do not see the picture, do you see a blank space or do you see a box with an X in it? Please PM me and let us see if we can get you a method to look at it.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2001
  9. coltallen Registered Member

computer hell

Bud, I have a 1000 meg processor with 258 meg ram. There ain't a pitcure I cant load up. I think that your link may be expired or maybe my browser(explorer) cant load from the linked site. Maybe you could copy the pic's that you put up and sit them on a site that will you control so that the ULR cannot be changed. Try sitting these pics in a free web site somewhere and then link them from there. My computer is not the prob here, I assure you. Maybe my browser if the original link is using MAC, or Netscape.

I have a few sites myself that I change the URL to often so that others can not link my pic's and slow my site down.

10. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Please find that all pictures in this thread now have addresses to the pictures. From now on I will include the link when posting the picture so no one is left out.

While I'm thinking of it, let me welcome you to Sciforums.

11. kmguru Staff Member

I think it is the 1000 meg processor that is the problem....Too many processors...

12. coltallen Registered Member

well let me rephrase that to 1000 gig processor then

13. coltallen Registered Member

Thank you.

I like this forum. Is it yours?

Its hard to find people who like to think these days

. I will enjoy reading your post and posting here in the future

14. kmguru Staff Member

1000 gig processor? Gig?...man, I could not buy one today anywhere on this planet. Must be from Alpha Centauri....

I like your signature....

15. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

No the site is not mine. I believe in it so I particpate in it. I might add that I believe in it strongly. The site belongs to Porfiry, who is an able administator. I am but a member as are you. As you can see from the right column I have volunteered to become a moderator and have been accepted as such. I humbly strive to assist in the making of the forum to be what it is. I hope you will become a valued member of this community. I think I have strayed far enough from the topic today here. I leave with this last comment. Enjoy the Sciforum for it is truely a work of art.

16. coltallen Registered Member

gig, meg, there not the same

My sig is who I am really

I think that, well I know this not a religous topic or forum for that matter, but I believe that in short words, this planets is full of too many followers who are looking for something to believe in. personally I believe in things that can be explained or better yet, things that I can see

everything else is just nice speculation to talk about.

17. kmguru Staff Member

OK, coltallen:

Welcome to sciforums. We have a section for philosophical discussions you can post, start a topic. I welcome you to reply any of my topics at any time. Any of my topics in Business, Economy and political stuff goes under "life". The one I do not know goes to "Free thoughts". You can PM me or wet1 if you get confused as to how to use the forum.

We need some fresh blood here, so dive in anyplace you find an opening....

BTW, your compter is probably a 1GHz processor, that means the processor runs on the clock frequency of 1 Giga Hertz (cycle) and not 1000 GHz (that will be 1 THz or 1 Tera Hertz - we are not there yet...)

18. coltallen Registered Member

Well!!!! That computer saleman lied his a$$ off to me then!!!!

(please note that there is always a little humor in everything that I write. When reading my post try to imagine me as laughing as I am typing. But by no means, does that not make me serious about what I am talking about... That is for the most part.

)

I think this forum is going to be a fun place to hang out and a place where I might just learn something.

Also if your wondering about my tag=line, well I am a huge Colts fan and my name is Allen.

enough with me though lets get this topic headed back into the direction that it was first intened.

19. Sir. Loone Jesus is Lord! Registered Senior Member

Mars! Spectacular!

Has anyone ever herd of or listen to the radio talk show "Art Bell?", it's about stuff that Churger was talking about earlier.

And more strainge stuff!

Last edited: Aug 10, 2001
  20. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Unfortunately we don't get Art Bell. By other posts I have learned he is a "radio personality". I have never heard him. But I am indeed curious, do please go on, Sir. Loone.

21. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Barsoom

From APOD archives:
    Credit: Viking Project, NASA

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/image/0103/barsoom.jpg

"Yes, I have been to Barsoom again ..." begins John Carter in Edgar Rice Burroughs' 1913 science fiction classic "The Gods of Mars". In Burroughs' novels describing Carter's adventures on Mars, "Barsoom" is the local inhabitants' name for the Red Planet. Long after Burroughs' stories were published, Mars continues to inspire Earthdwellers' interests and imagination. Soon it will again be invaded by spacecraft from Earth. This dramatic picture of a crescent Mars was taken by NASA's Viking 2 spacecraft as it approached Barsoom in 1976.

22. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

All of Mars

From APOD Archives:

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/image/0106/allmars_mola.jpg

All of Mars
    Credit: National Geographic Society, MOLA Science Team, MGS, JPL, NASA
    Explanation: From pole to pole, from east to west, this is all of Mars. The above picture was digitally reconstructed from over 200 million laser altimeter measurements taken by the Mars Global Surveyor spacecraft currently orbiting Mars. The image strips Mars of its clouds and dust, and renders the whole surface visible simultaneously in its true daytime color. Particularly notable are the volcanoes of the Tharsis province, visible on the left, which are taller than any mountains on Earth. Just to the left of center is Valles Marineris, a canyon much longer and deeper Earth's Grand Canyon. On the right, south of the center, is the Hellas Planitia, a basin over 2000 kilometers wide that was likely created by a collision with an asteroid. Mars has many smooth lowlands in the north, and many rough highlands in the south. Mars has just passed its closest approach to Earth since 1988 and can be seen shining brightly in the evening sky.

23. essexman Registered Member

In reply to tetras first point. We don't need to go to mars and terraform the planet. It would be far easier to live in enormous craft of our own making.
    We always think we need to go to this planet and that planet, once we are up there we don't need to come back down.
    We could mine asteroids for raw materials and build bigger and bigger craft.
    One day some of these craft may want to try and go to the nearest stars. It may take many years but if people live in space anyway they will not be too worried about living on a planet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.