Maximum size of Black Holes

Discussion in 'The Cesspool' started by Mr. G, Sep 19, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. G reality.sys Valued Senior Member

Why are there no black holes bigger than the ones we've already seen?

A free thought cast into the ether requiring no input from the nannies/groomers.

Free thoughts, right?

All of them, right?

Test. Test. Test.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

How could anyone possibly know that there are no as-yet-undiscovered black holes that are bigger than the ones we've already discovered?

sideshowbob likes this.
  4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Mr. G reality.sys Valued Senior Member

One can't know. One can speculate, which you didn't attempt to do.

Maybe my puny self can help you.

"Why are there no black holes bigger than the ones we've already seen?"

The diameter of a black hole event horizon determines the longest wave length of the radiation it can produce.

The thermal temperature of the event horizon can not yet equal the thermal temperature of the surrounding vacuum which is colder and able to radiate at longer wavelengths. Conservation of information (things and other stuff) stored on the surface of the horizon in planck length units probably requires the condition.

Something about the vacuum/spacetime/quantum mechanics is forcing them to evaporate to lose mass, limit horizon diameter & the corresponding longest frequency radiating wavelength.

Inflation has made the vacuum colder than the black holes. Why do they resist inflation? (Insert "appreciate the gravity of the situation joke here).

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

The original question was phrased similarly to "Why are there no elephants bigger than the ones we have already seen?"

Nobody can ever know that they've seen the biggest elephant, or the biggest black hole. That's why your original question didn't make much sense.

It appears you have thought some more about this following my initial response and come up with a more sensible question: is there a limit to the size of black holes? That's one we can discuss.
    Does it? How so? What theory are you referring to?
    The vacuum can't radiate, can it? Are you referring to the microwave background radiation?
    What condition?
    There's Hawking radiation, which cases mass loss and hence horizon diameter decrease, but that doesn't put a limit on the size of a black hole, as far as I am aware. I can't think of anything that would impose such a limit. Can you suggest any specific mechanism?
    For the same reason the Earth resists inflation: lots of locally concentrated mass overcomes the general tendency to expand with the universe as a whole. If that's what you mean by "inflation".

Last edited: Sep 22, 2022
  8. Mr. G reality.sys Valued Senior Member

Thank you for the win.

You folks are too easy.

9. Mr. G reality.sys Valued Senior Member

You can't win on merit, but you can always win by subterfuge.

Good job, Sciforums.

Our trusted partner in knowing the facts that we shouldn't.

10. Mr. G reality.sys Valued Senior Member

Fun with funny people:

Deep diving may be necessary here....

" Mr. G said:

One can't know. One can speculate, which you didn't attempt to do.

The original question was phrased similarly to "Why are there no elephants bigger than the ones we have already seen?"

Oh, wise one.

James R said:

"Nobody can ever know that they've seen the biggest elephant, or the biggest black hole. That's why your original question didn't make much sense."

I'll play along.

No elephants were part of the initial arguements. Burlesque show props are unnecessary, unless they are.

"It appears you have thought some more about this following my initial response and come up with a more sensible question: is there a limit to the size of black holes? That's one we can discuss."

You never thought such a thing nor expressed such a thing. That you imagine that you did isn't lost on me. You're a charlatan. Plain & simple.

You are due no trust, thief.

11. Mr. G reality.sys Valued Senior Member

Our betters 'believe' they are.

We don't. Come and get us

Prove you are, or shut tf up.,

12. Mr. G reality.sys Valued Senior Member

13. Mr. G reality.sys Valued Senior Member

No mention of 'wavelength.

It was never about physics, was it?

It was only about personal destruction.

You fell for it.

As smart as you are.

14. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

You didn't need anybody to give you the win. You had it up your sleeve all along.

15. Mr. G reality.sys Valued Senior Member

If the "Universe" regulates black hole horizon dimensions, it also has to be regulating black hole singularity masses.

What kind(s) of regulatory communications can pass back and forth across event horizons to make such a "connection"?

16. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Okay. I'm not sure what this thread is about, but whatever it is, it sure ain't black holes.

Maybe try again, perhaps more honestly next time.

Thread closed.

origin and exchemist like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.