Moderator For Pseudoscience

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by goofyfish, Apr 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Thats a good point CounslerCoffee. Perhaps giving different areas to runner up nominees would also be a good idea. that way those that could have been bothered to do a moderation job, don't miss out at getting a position.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

The BIG question - will the Pseudoscience forum be run by someone with a brain in their head or will it be a whacko fanatic?

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I'd prefer smone with brain

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. crazymikey Open-minded Scientist Registered Senior Member

I nominate: Stryder too.

However, if I was mod, I would probably delete near every post by Avatar, Persol, Q, Votorx, as they never say anything sensibe

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

here's the "whacko fanatic" you were talking of, (Q)

9. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

Hmmm... backing your position up with evidence is not 'sensibe'?

Could you do us a favor and not be 'sensibe' then?

10. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

However, if I was mod, I would probably delete near every post by Avatar, Persol, Q, Votorx...

*crickets chirping*

11. Rappaccini Redoubtable Registered Senior Member

Crickets creep me out, but, while I'm still here, I might as well declare my support for Sargentlard.

12. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Candidates for the position of moderator, and users of the Pseudoscience forum, should consider how they would like moderation of that forum to be conducted. For that purpose, I have created a new thread in that forum to gather ideas of the users on that topic.

More formal election speeches will come later, but now's your chance to toss some ideas around.

Please post your views here:

http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=35573

13. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

I nominate myself. I moderate another forum of another board and have for the last year or so. The topic there is "serious discussion" and I've always prided myself in being as impartial as I could. I've edited/moderated posts that violated the rules in spite of my own bias to the topic.

I've posted my personal opinion as to what the purpose and goals for the Pseudoscience forum should be in this thread, but would moderate/edit only in accordance with the rules of the forum, whatever they might be.

Unlike crazymikey, I would not delete "near every post" of those with whom I generally disagreed, even if they were nonsensical. The forum rules would be the only guidline for such action, not personal biases.

As a side note, I think that the Pseudoscience forum should have two moderators.

14. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

Um, no. I think it should be like this:

Pseudoscience: Moderator #1
    Parapsychology: Moderator #2

I think two mods are needed, but that each should have different sub-forums.

15. ScRaMbLe Chaos Inc. Registered Senior Member

I reckon Sarge or Dr Lou...

16. Star_One Registered Senior Member

I nominate crazymikey

17. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

and I nominate The Brain Bug from the Starship Troopers 1, but I'm afraid it has equal chances of getting the place, though it might be smarter.

18. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

I'd nominate myself, but I have a very strong feeling that the above mentioned nominees echo my opinion.

Hell,
    I nominate myself anyhow.

19. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

I don't know if I would want the job, psuedoscience is a hell hole! I would most likely find my self closing most of the threads down for being totally ridicules. If I can go out and find other threads in other sub-forums and move them to psuedoscience that would be good.

20. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I'm running my own forum in latvian (no, it's not a clone of sciforums) and can tell you that it is not likely to be possible. Nowadays Sciforums seems to be running under a heavily modified version of vBulletin software (correct me if I'm wrong) and though I'm running a open source phpBB the general principles are the same (as I've been looking into different forum software). Basically what you want to do is under the authoroty of the moderators of other forums, because moving a topic from a specific forum to another is managed by the user who has mod rights @ the first one. So if you wanted to do that, you'd have to be a mod in all of the forums, which of course would be pretty cool

21. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

After a lot of thinking five minutes yesterday afternon, I've decided that I don't think I could run the psuedoscience section. It needs someone who frequents there often and knows the members. Not some new guy who's posted there once like a year ago to come along and tell them what's what. It needs someone the members there can respect.

So I gracefully drop out of the race and wish the other runners the best of luck.

Thanks

Thor

22. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Some of our mods have that power. Goofyfish for example.

23. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

yeah, he's the so called "super op"
    but he is not limited to just moving the topics, he has the full mod rights in all of the forums (at least by script default)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.