Monk vs Monk!

Discussion in 'World Events' started by S.A.M., Sep 27, 2007.

1. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

Please define "belief function".

In a hypothetical coin toss there are two possibilities
    a) heads
    b) tails

The coin is tossed into the air and only two possibilities exist as to which side will come up on top. Explain how "beleif function" has an sort of effect on these possibilities.

Thanks
    Michael

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Um thats probability. Possibility is what you believe it will be, ie will you call out heads or tails. Probability is when you calculate the mathematical certainty of it being heads or tails.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

I know what probability is.

Please specifically define "belief function".

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I attached a whole bloody statistics paper on that.:bugeye:
    http://pnntech.com/Publications/Statist-inference.pdf

belief function: nonmathematical or not based on evidence, unknown, random.

8. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

9. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

What exactly is the difference between "possibility" and "beleif function"? I noticed possibility was not a part of your your definition for beleif function.

Does the possibility exist there is no God?

10. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Possibility is the belief measure of uncertainty.

i.e. I ask you: will it rain? you look outside. Dark skies, it is possible.

Probability is the mathematical measure.

i.e. I ask you: will it rain? You turn on the Weather channel and tell me the probability is 30%.

As for the possibility of God, that is a belief function, ie, if you believe it will rain, you cannot simultaneously believe it will not rain. IMO, if you believe in God, it is not possible to simultaneously believe there is no God.

11. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

Firstly, could you define "belief measure"? This is the first time you have used “belief measure”. It seems every time I ask you a question you come up with some new word which seems to make little sense to me.

Do you agree with the following definitions?

If you do not agree, could you please specifically address the reason why you disagree and then provide an acceptable definition that you think better provides meaning to each word. We can always get Fraggle over here I am sure they would be willing to give some input.

Thanks.

Possibility = capability of existing or happening or being true;
    Probability = the likelihood that something is the case or will happen.
    Belief = mental acceptance of and conviction in the truth, actuality, or validity of something
    Belief function = the non-Bayesian mathematical probability that the evidence supports a proposition.
    Belief measure = ???

NOTE:
    I looked up “belief function” and that was the definition given.

Secondly, can you see a clear difference in the following questions:
    a) Will it rain today?
    b) Do you believe it will rain today?
    c) Does the possibility exist it will rain today?
    d) What is the probability it will rain today?

There is no evidence that supports the proposition of God and therefore I fail to see how you could provide a mathematical probability of God being true.

If you have such a probability worked out then could you please provide the information? That would be great to see, really, it would.

Again, the question was not:
    SAM do you believe in God?
    The question was
    SAM, does the possibility exist there is no God?

Cheers,
    Michael

12. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

A separate question:

Does the possibility exist there is no Xenu, overlord of the Intergalactic Federation?

Thanks
    Michael

13. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

This is a circular argument. I suggest that ALL the answers are already given. Perhaps it may help you to go back and read the last three pages.

I have defined my beliefs, the terms, the meanings and their relevance to me.

Perhaps you could give me an example that explains the difference between a belief measure/function (possible: one that is based on experience or feelings, is nonmathematical, may be random, incalculable or unknown) and a mathematical function (probable: known, quantifiable, determinate, constant) and explain how you differentiate between possibility and probability

Again, since possible is a measure based on incalculable, unknown, feelings, experience etc etc etc, I consider that my belief in God makes it clear that for me, there is no possibility that there is no God.

And yes, since God is not yet a quantifiable mathematical proposition, any calculation of the probability of God is irrelevant.

PS you have defined the probability measure of belief function, they use it for fuzzy logic, but personally I think the epistemology stinks. I was defining belief function loosely not mathematically, as a measure of uncertainty not based on a quantifiable proposition. My bad

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Last edited: Oct 5, 2007
  14. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I would consider that a metaphor for God. Since I am unaware of the details, I would presume it is a vision of God of another person, time and place.

Like if I went to Saudi Arabia and they offered me Shai, it may be different in appearance, color and taste, but I would presume it is what they call tea.

15. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Finally.

SAM, there are theists who do find it possible that they are wrong in their beliefs - that in fact there is no God. We cannot assume that just because you are a theist you find the nonexistence of God to be impossible. It's a legitimate question.

16. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Okay, I am presenting everything as my opinion (whenever I remember to).

17. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Ok, then we can agree that the metaphorical vision of their god was handed down by parents and family indoctrination of the cult. Theists born of Christian families wouldn't have 'visions' of Allah, for example. Or, you don't have 'visions' of Christ as your god, for another example.

See, it's quite easy to understand how cults propagate.

18. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I think you need to stand metaphorically in the world and take a slow turn around.

Now, tell me, how many "visions" of religion you see?

And are they exactly the same between any two people?

If you talk to different theists, you'll find that everyone has their own individual interpretation of what religion is, which apart from the time and place is also determined to a very great extent by who the person individually is.

To assume that people are handed down their religion is really strange, considering how many changes there have been over the centuries as to what people's notions of what religion, God and worship means.

The very fact that new religions can and do arise (and no matter how strange or ridiculous they appear to others), you have to remember that they are in themselves merely representations of belief.

19. Mr.Spock Back from the dead Valued Senior Member

no assumption, i see it all the time. you made a salad out of two different things.

20. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Its very easily proved.

1. Are you religious?
    2. Were your parents? grandparents? great grandparents?
    3. Do you follow the religion and traditions of your religion as your parents/grandparents and greatgrandparents did?
    4. Do you know people of your religion who are married to people of other religions?
    5. What religion do children of mixed marriages follow?

21. Mr.Spock Back from the dead Valued Senior Member

non of your questions are relevant, i live in a fairly free society, yet as i have said before i do know people who follow their parents religion, mostly beacuse they were indoctrinated to do so from little age.

when you teach a boy from little age how to worship god with according to your religion, most chances he will pass it on. anomalies not included.

22. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Of course

23. Mr.Spock Back from the dead Valued Senior Member

they are irrelevant, beacuse of your assumptions. see my previous post.