More on Politics

Discussion in 'World Events' started by kmguru, Aug 29, 2001.

1. kmguru Staff Member

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Anti-globalization protesters asked the World Bank and the International Monetary Fund on Tuesday to open all their meetings to the public, cancel Third World debt and end policies that hinder access to health and education in poor countries. The Mobilization for Global Justice, a coalition of groups that is organizing massive demonstrations during the annual meetings of the lenders on Sept. 29-30, also demanded that the organizations end their oil, mining and natural gas extraction programs, which they view as environmentally dangerous.

Washington police expect as many as 100,000 demonstrators to converge on the nation’s capital to protest the two lenders’ policies as well as those of President George W. Bush.

The groups said they e-mailed their demands to IMF Managing Director Horst Koehler and World Bank President James Wolfensohn.

YOUR VIEWS?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. thecurly1 Registered Senior Member

I have a lot of oppinions.

First and formost I think its GREAT for these protests to happen.

This is how a democratic society works, we have the right to petition the government for grievences, ARTICLE I US Constitution.

Anyways, I think those meetings at the least should have their minutes given to the public to read. If they don't open it to the public all the way.

I think third-world debt for the most part should be canceled out, and I think more money should be given to feed and nurture the world, especially our Earthly children.

I can only hope the protests are peacefull and actually lead some wear, instead of some jerk-off in a gas mask spray painting "SMASH CAPITALISM" on a brick wall.

Violence won't convince the G8, IMF, World Bank, UN, US, or the Lions Club to change anything. Peaceful protest works better, look at MLK Jr. versus Malcom X.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Captain Canada Stranger in Town Registered Senior Member

Slightly Off the Subject

Sorry for deviating from globalisation slightly, but I just wondered after reading the Curly1's post when a peaceful protest ought to become a revolution? Or violent?

Anyone remember the 'terror' of the ANC? Mandela is rightly considered a great leader, but in 1960s South Africa he felt peaceful protest was going nowhere. ANC attacks continued through the 1980s, and in some way drew attention to the unjust plight of black South Africans.

Was MLK succesful?

I can think of numerous government changes that were violent (Caucescu, Batista, Allende). Right or wrong. Democratic, peaceful protest has a place in some societies, but when is enough enough?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. thecurly1 Registered Senior Member

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. was sucessful.

Thank god, black, white, and everything between has to thank him for not allowing the government to stomp on the rights of any American.