Morphine and alcohol?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Beer w/Straw, Mar 21, 2019.

1. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

An older friend of mine, lives alone, has cancer and is on morphine; his other siblings have died of the same type of cancer. I do small favors and one of them is supply him with alcohol. Alcohol is one of the things he likes aside from internet poker and Netflix. It doesn't make me uneasy for me to see him with no pants on. For one, sometimes its hard for him to put pants on and, in a way, he's a man just waiting for death. I was going up to his apartment with some bottles of wine just as a doctor was leaving. He beckoned me into his bedroom, asked me to crack open the bottles and leave caps a bit loose cause he didn't have the strength himself. I knelt down, put the unscrewed bottles on the floor and noticed what looked like a punch tray filled with various prescription drugs for each day of the month. I asked if he told the doctor how much he was drinking which I needn't have anyway cause the doctor would have seen the empties. He told me he was in pain.

Recently, I heard morphine was also a depressant. I know alcohol is, but what if you combine the two?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

The combination can greatly increase the depression of his bodily functions. It can be fatal.
    The warnings on the medicine bottles clearly state this dangerous interactions.

If he is dying of cancer it is less of a concern I suppose. You should warn him of the dangers, though I suppose he already knows.

He is lucky to have a friend to visit him.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. sculptor Valued Senior Member

handy to know if one would choose to self euthanize

candy likes this.
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

you are administering a controlled substance to a person on a restricted substance.
    this makes you liable under the law.

like a car driver driving with passengers who are not wearing their seat belts.

the law is quite clear.
    if he dies of respiratory arrest from combined oxy & alcohol, you could be prosecuted for manslaughter/3rd degree?
    or assisting suicide

while your heart may be in the right place & it being between 2 consenting adults, the law does not see it the same.

you may be better asking the questions in a pharmacological manner to avoid the ethereal mystical intent of people to try and manipulate in a religous conversion.

alcahol brings blood to the surface
    oxy attaches to the red blood cells
    alcohol shuts down the corpus Colosseum (this is why it is used soo much by psychiatric patients and emotionally troubled people)

Corpus Callosum - The Brain Made Simple

brainmadesimple.com/corpus-callosum.html

The Corpus Callosum is the part of the mind that allows communication between the two hemispheres of the brain. It is responsible for transmitting neural ...

oxy attaches to the red blood cell which in turn removes the red blood cells ability to carry oxygen to the brain.

pain seeks to shut down reception of pain
    trauma shuts down frontal lobe blood
    when under stress or low oxygen the body shuts down blood to the frontal lobes(higher processing)

emotional processing is lowered when under the influence of alcahol.
    thus singular emotions are experienced allowing for a lowering of over all emotional noise.
    this in part reduces complex problems by removing the ability to process and think about several things at once.

is this a depressing mechanism ?
    yes and no
    it can drive a concept of obsession by pushing a single focus on one emotion in what ever is the strongest.
    fear
    hate
    clinical conditions
    sex
    lust/desire/loss

pharmacological management of emotions is not mainstream and has many issues.

managing a single depressive emotion may be easier than trying to manage several sad emotions at once continually assuming they/there is no suicidal ideation at play.

oxy interferes with many things to act.
    some of those things directly drive emotional states.

oxy can be a lifter, but once addicted is a downer
    alcohol is a reducer

what is your next question ?

oxy is not a depressant because of its pharmacological metaphysical state.
    it is a depressant when the user is an addict because it interacts with things that produce hormones in the long term over several days/weeks/months
    this drives a long term emotional reality of being depressed to avoid depression.

when someone has long term severe pain their biology(and mind) changes
    emotional depression may be an acceptable trade off to relieve the pain.

the emphasis is on reducing nerve activity
    this action tends to act as a default depression state inertly to the psyche.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
  8. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

Better check the legal situation where you live.
    If he's killing himself and it comes to light that you helped, it may be made a problem for you, afterward. Me, I think it's fine - but there's a lot of pious busypants out there think they have the right to decide over other people's lives.

candy and cluelusshusbund like this.
  9. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

Really, just go fuck yourself.

10. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

what i was wondering is that you had made the story up to try and gain pity because you may be a narcissistic and you wanted to try and gain pitty for your last thread where you seemed to lose a bit of popular credit.
    so i thought, 'this looks like what a narcissist would make up just to try and fake empathy'.

make up some fake story to make yourself sound like a really caring person going out of their way to do something completely selfless.
    then i thought, given the obvious risk giving alcahol to someone on heavy oxy meds,, maybe this is you playing god with another person just to make yourself feel in power and you wanted some way to try and make sure others knew about your "selfless act"
    because the act only has any value when it comes back to you getting the credit for it as some humanitarian gesture.

so i thought.
    lets give you the benefit of the doubt and give you the science behind what your doing so you have the information and choose for yourself.

and there is your answer.

11. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

indeed
    running the risk of accidentally killing himself by taking too much alcohol & oxy which kills thousands of usa people every year.
    high strength oxy and alcohol is a heavy suppressant.
    the acahol also shortens the effective length of more effective pain meds.
    though in combination with alcahol it makes people very groggy and hazy
    maybe thats what works.
    alcohol suppresses the breathing, oxy suppresses the breathing
    when going unconscious or going semi unconscious on alcohol & oxy leaves a huge risk of respiratory arrest while in a deep sleep.

but...
    maybe its all a lie
    seems to sound like it is a fake story

12. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

I'd be flattered but I already know I'm not worth the effort.

:EDIT:

But you're at liberty to make shit up in your own head.

13. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

OK fine.

If you're so smart, you should be able to tell everything.

So, do it.

:EDIT:

Meaning you can repeat yourself as I didn't give a fuck to your comments in the first place.

Do it now. Don't be a fucking coward.