most innovative artists of the last decade

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by Unregistered, Aug 24, 2003.

1. Guyute Senior Member Registered Senior Member

Well lets see here. 2 Pac....hmm...well, what didi he do. OH i got it...he was one of the pioneers who brought rap music mainstream.....and Pearl Jam, well, I pretty much say started(or helped start) and popurlized the Seattle Grunge Music Genre....along with other bands like Nirvana. Nirvana just really made it mainstream though.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Rap was mainstream long before 2Pac was involved.
    Rap was mainstream even before Tupac decided to change the spelling of his name, go solo and leave Digital Underground.
    Which, as I am sure you know, had mainstream rap hits before the advent of 2Pac. (remember The Humpty Dance?)

If you want to give proper credit for bringing rap mainstream, you will have to go way back to 3rd Bass, Run DMC, BDP...
    Way back to the true innovators of the genre that got their start way back in the early eighties even late seventies.

Even if he WAS partially responsible (even wholly responsible) for rap going mainstream, how would that make him innovative?
    How did he change and innovate the genre at all?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. linus Registered Senior Member

sublimes innovation is in their strange beldning of regee and punk. now this same ccan be said of bad brains, but their temperment for the music was very differenet. there was an honesty to brad that is in itself innovative. the only other musician i've ever come across with it is bob marley.
    what i mean is that there are artists, like the velevet underground whihc are considered realists or honest becaus ethey talk about the darker side of life. but it's the same problem just on the opposite end. it's not honest, it's just the opposite of happy. both ends get old to listen to.
    what brad did was honest because it said blantantly, "hey, life sucks sometimes, shitty things happen, we're unhappy, we lose jobs, but look, it'll all work out, good things will happen too. rahter than dote on either, let's just enjoy life and spend time with the people we love doing what we love."
    that is an honesty that music has been searching for for a very long time.
    he also had soul in a way that mainstream music just doesn't get much of, which is a kind of innovation.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. linus Registered Senior Member

if you lsiten to the mars volta, you'll realize that it is some of the most orignal music ever made. yes, it has it's influences, but the song stuructures, the operatic chaos implemented, these things are highly innovative. it takes things that have been done before and just decomposes them and rebuilds them into something else completely. amazing, that band.
    this band is what tool pretends to be and wishes it was.