Muslims promote Sharia law. Why do Christians not promote their law?

Discussion in 'Religion' started by Greatest I am, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Robittybob1 Banned Banned

I assume you mean "Let's say John the Baptist DID NOT recognize him as the Messiah"? If that was the case or John the Baptist recognized someone else instead what would I believe? That magician Dynamo, on TV, pulls some pretty amazing stunts maybe we should all believe in him?

Why do I believe in Jesus? That is a good question, but without the New Testament documents maybe it would be even harder to relate to. So I have read the books and checked out their accuracy and they were amazingly accurate, when in fact others say there are contradictions, but they got their dating quite wrong.
    So I believed Jesus was real and he did something like they say he did, heal the sick, made the blind to see and raised the dead. Powerful stuff, which I/we want to see happen again. So now we are looking for the words of truth that when spoken these words will be confirmed by the signs and wonders following.
    Is that where you are at too?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. HealthBlushon Registered Member

Muslims are Best <3

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. billvon Valued Senior Member

No. My question is:

Let's say Jesus was not really the Son of God, and everyone who met him (including John) made a mistake and thought he was. Would that diminish his words one bit? And would people still believe?

Stunts don't really do it for me. (And that's true of Jesus or Dynamo.)

You have more faith in the Bible than I do, then. I think the process went like this:

1) Jesus lived and died. No one wrote about him.
    2) Afterwards a religion began to grow around him. People who knew him wrote down what he did years after the fact. Much of it they got right, some they got wrong. And like everyone they tended to embellish.
    3) The growing religion got hold of these writings (now the Scriptures) and started editing them to help their new Church survive in a hostile world.
    4) It was then translated dozens of times and a few more errors crept in.

I think Jesus was real and did something like they say he did. But did he raise the dead? Or was he more like the son of the man who was dead for an hour or so, who somehow came back to life? Odds are that the latter happened.

But to me that doesn't matter. What matters are his words - because that's all that is left of him. And since the Sermon on the Mount text (for example) is pretty consistent across sources I figure that's pretty close to accurate.

The search for those Words of Truth is a noble pursuit, but again, they will not be validated by stunts or medical technology. We are very close to being able to clone body parts (like heart valves, perhaps even entire hearts) and replace diseased hearts with healthy one. That's a miracle which would certainly be Bible-worthy (imagine "Jesus created a new heart for Samuel, opened his chest and restored him") but it will just be technology. It will be a sign of our progress, not a miracle indicating a supernatural event.

Consider, however, that the effort to clone hearts comes from many desires, one of which is to help people. And that desire to help others is a large part of what Jesus taught. And if the words of Jesus helped that happen - helped doctors develop technology that seems miraculous - then that, to me, is as much a proof of the power of the words of Jesus than a miracle involving free fish and bread. In fact, it's even more of a miracle - because it's a sign that the word of Jesus can work through people to create those miracles.

So all this "did Jesus really rise from the dead after three days?" is sort of missing the point. The value in his life is in what he taught, not what tricks he did.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Greatest I am Valued Senior Member

They have the best Dancing Boys and heaven.
    Sex sells.

Regards
    DL