New historical understandings.

Discussion in 'History' started by geordief, May 14, 2018.

1. geordief Registered Senior Member

Have we a historian in t'house?

I want to know from someone with a good overview of the subject how our picture of the past has changed over the past 50 years as a result of new technology , new techniques after old fashioned application.

I realize this is far too wide a question and so would be happy with a general answer along with a few specific examples.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Gawdzilla Sama Valued Senior Member

What you're looking for is a historiographer.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. mathman Valued Senior Member

One specific: In 1968, US opinion was strongly divided about the Vietnam war. Today most people believe it was a major mistake.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. geordief Registered Senior Member

I really meant historical analysis based on archaeological surveys.

Sorry for not being clearer.

8. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

I got what you meant: how has technology advanced our knowledge of history.

Well, they just radar scanned the pyramids and determined finally that there are no more hidden chambers.

9. geordief Registered Senior Member

I should really do more of my own research.
    I found the whole satellite imagery in Egypt over the past 5 years or so exciting.

This woman seems to be largely responsible for it.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarah_Parcak

Also the recent discoveries in Orkney seem to change our appreciation of earlier cultures.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_of_Brodgar

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  10. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

Our understanding of the past changes all the time.
    Forensic science advances tell us more about ancient human remains - how old the bones are, how long people lived, what they ate, what ailed them, what kinds of work they did, what killed them . Comprehensive, non-invasive mapping of archeological sites means we have a clear idea of their size, fortifications and layout. Better techniques preserve artefacts for scrutiny. Etc.
    But we still can't tell what they were thinking or why they made idiotic decisions, except from diaries and letters - just like two centuries ago.
    There is still no substitute for painstaking research and empathetic imagination.