Objective reality: How do we know it exists ?

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Enmos, Mar 21, 2008.

1. Tnerb Banned Banned

well said
    I look forward to more of this.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

Perhaps because I believe that someone else is the perceiver.

I mean, it makes sense. If all that exists is what they imagine within their reality, and they are unaware that this is their reality, then not only do I not exist but I can in no way suppose anyone else does, even though SOMEONE exists. In this case, perhaps there is an objective reality. This is not it and we are not truly parts of it. The one that exists is the reality of the perceiver, and if we imagine other perceivers, their perceptions may or may not be subjective, based on some unknown "hive mind" or something.

If that's the case, then our subjective reality is all that matters, so far as we know. Our thoughts are not truly our own because, again, we do not exist except in the mind of this perceiver. You are a prisoner of a subjective prison within which you are having an unverifiable, private, subjective experience.

Based on this, how in the world can you point to "objective" reality? If all I said was true, are our subjective experiences of similar things within this not-reality evidence that this not-reality is the aforementioned objective reality? The fact we are wrong, does that matter?

Then again, what matters, really?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Tnerb Banned Banned

Now you see how I feel

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Seriously though, all that matters is our own reality. Our own well being and our own perceptions of it. If something's wrong with your perception of others, it's likely because of that other. Don't take this the wrong way please. Just that what I perceive is not my objective reality, it is probably not an objective reality at all.
    Objective reality is objective reality I guess, but, when someone infringes on it it makes it worse.
    Surely it has to do something with the issue of being able to see. An error in perception. Any flaw in perception or perceiving of other reality is probably something to do with morality / ethics issues. In which one is infringing upon ones own fate, or destiny.
    What must not occur is infringement on destiny if proper view is held.

Within this perspective, sophism, is pretty interesting I suppose. You'd consider that one doesn't have the right to infringe upon others fates, perspectives, and leads into lines of thought that say that it infringes upon ... Hmm. Just some thoughts.

Try objective reality that is being infringed upon. That's all I have the ability to say at present.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Objectivity and how it can be acheived

8. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

um. Sorry, but the "reality" caused by the observation of your robot friends is to be valid, they'd have to be part of one's own internal experience, and thus not guaranteed that they exist. Are you saying that a "mind" that has created a reality would not be capable of using the tools you describe as needed to regulate that reality for itself?

On a different note, to tnerB, why would the knowledge that neither I nor anyone or anything exists potentially make me want to respect others situations MORE? Why do I care what a nonexistant being thinks or feels?

9. swarm Registered Senior Member

How do we know objective reality exists?

Because there aren't any gods to turn it subjective.

10. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

When opeerating within the parameters of logic, it is very easy to condlude that objective reality exists. The first rule of course is that logic cannot be presumed. It must be assumed.

11. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

Therefore rendering your entire argument contradictory.

12. The Breaker Registered Member

While I have often lingered on this thought, I always come to the same conclusion. It is pointless to ponder this subject. Here is my body which senses things, I have nothing else to use which might offer another way to sense things, therefore I conclude that I have no reason to believe what I am sensing is incorrect. Thinking about this subject is akin to speculating on the existence of god, useless. It is not falsifiable. I don't believe there is an independent mind, it just seems like there is. Neurons fire in unison and neurotransmitters are released, transported, and bound to receptors which give rise to the feelings we experience and our perception of "I". We are, fundamentally, no different from a rock or a table. The natural sciences are constantly closing in on completely explaining an entirely materialistic world.

13. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

When you experience something with your senses in a dream, that thing is not objectively real. You only know that something is real when you are certain you are not dreaming.

14. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

Contradiction.

Which you can never be.

15. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

No. There is a difference.

16. Drphail Banned Banned

the only way this can be proven is with biased inferences, my colour may be different than yours, yet i've known it to be such my whole life. this leads way to the idea of a perfect spectrum.

i like white stuff in and around my nose.

17. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

So when you see something coloured red in a dream, that does not use your sense of vision?
    I agree that there is no external sensory input, but seeing a colour must use the sense of vision, mustn't it? Otherwise, people blind from birth would be able to imagine colours.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  18. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Reported.

Goodbye then, I guess..

Edit: That was aimed at a post that's now deleted. It was not aimed at Kremmen's post which is above this one now.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  19. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Reported?
    He should executed for crimes against good taste.

20. Enmos Valued Senior Member

lol.. that too

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

21. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

I made no comment concerning difference.
    As you wrote it, your argument is contradictory.

22. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

This old empirical nugget would require an entire different thread of it's own.
    For our concerns here, suffice it to say that you've just described the contradiction itself: "...no external sensory input...". Ergo, when dreaming, there can be no 'sensing', and thereby, no sensing experience.

23. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Nope: it's all internal.
    Sort of the memory of red rather than seeing red.