Objectivity in Science - Subjectivity on SciForums

Discussion in 'The Cesspool' started by dumbest man on earth, Jun 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

MODERATOR NOTE

3 Posts removed from this thread. Missing posts may be viewed here

As a reminder to ALL parties involved:

H. Netiquette
    Civility
    3. If you post a thread, expect people to reply to it. Bear in mind that the thread is on a public forum and all members are free to contribute to it; you may not place restrictions on who may respond. (The only exception to this is threads in the Formal Debates subforum, which has its own rules.)
    Interpersonal arguments
    6. Personality clashes between members occasionally occur and are unavoidable. It is the responsibility of the members involved to manage their differences in a civil manner. Often, the simplest way to do that is to avoid engaging in discussions with the person concerned.
    8. Do not engage in flame wars with other members. The argument that ‘He insulted me first’ is unlikely to help you if a moderator has to step in.

SciForums Rules

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Does it need fixing and why? I know it is not commonly used, but is it physically wrong that we live in a heliocentric galaxy, or even universe?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heliocentrism

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

ftfy

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Write4U Valued Senior Member

I totally agree.
    . Prima faci yes, but one could make a counter argument that a "new slant" or "relative perspective" might reveal a lot about the truth of a proposition. Of course the scientific method must be used while evaluating facts, but theory should be free to "entertain" novel and innovative approaches, models and experiments.

8. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

Did you see what he changed it to?

9. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Yes, I cannot see anything wrong either way. It depends on the scope and context of the subject. Atom, Solar System, Galaxy, Universe?

10. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

Heliocentric Universe would mean the entire universe orbits a star, which they thought for while when they did not realize how big the universe is or that it consists of many galaxies consisting of solar systems. Heliocentric Galaxy would mean each galaxy orbits a star or that the galaxies within a group/cluster orbit a star. Heliocentric Solar System means that everything in each solar system orbits its star or is moved in that orbit with whatever it is orbiting.

11. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Hiya Write4U.....
    When stranger pointed out my heliocentric Universe remark, It did immediately dawn on me that I had made an unintentional error. And without further ado, I changed it straight away, to the way I meant and understood it.
    Off goes my head, on goes a pumpkin!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

We all make tyops! Next time I do, I hope someone tells me quickly. Hope you get your head back.

13. Write4U Valued Senior Member

In context of the subject I thought it had some humor in it.......

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

14. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

- the ^^above quoted^^from my Post #10 of this Thread : http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?141869-Objectivity-in-Science-Subjectivity-on-SciForums

Trippy , thank you kindly for "fixing that for" me. I appreciate it.

Is there just possibly any chance, at all, that you may be able to "fix" the Post #2 of this Thread : http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?141869-Objectivity-in-Science-Subjectivity-on-SciForums

Once again Trippy, thank you kindly for "fixing that for" me.

I really do appreciate the effort, put forth by the Members and the Admins/Mods, to make SciForums such an enjoyable Forum to have Open, Earnest, and Honest Discussions on Real Science.

I would like to further extend my Thanks to all of those Members and all of those Admins/Mods that do go that "Extra Mile", so to speak, to put forth that extremely appreciated effort.

15. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

The cry for more objectivity in science, [and this forum] is a storm in a teacup.
    Why?
    Because science does encompass subjectivity, [and rightly so] as long as that subjectivity is governed by the scientific methodology and peer review.
    So in essence, subjectivity is desired, [as long as it align with the scientific method and peer review] and in reality then progresses to objectivity and scientific theoretical status.
    And isn't this how most scientific theories eventuate? In the beginnings, they are just speculative hypothetical concepts.
    And this forum, in the main, and its members in the main, do seem to support the scientific method and peer review.
    We have our own alternative hypothesis and pseudoscience forums for non objective material, that will in most cases, never see the light of the scientific day.

16. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

- the ^^above Quoted^^ from : http://www.curiosityaroused.com/skepticism/subjective-vs-objective-whats-the-difference/

17. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

- the ^^above quoted^^ from : http://www.lightouch.com/subjobj.htm

18. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

- the ^^above quoted^^ from : http://www.differencebetween.net/language/difference-between-objective-and-subjective/

19. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

From post 33:
    """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
    Objectivity in Science
    The reason why objectivity is so important in science is that science deals in objective facts rather than subjective opinions. A main component of the scientific process is the ability for any experiment to be replicated by anyone with inclination to do so.
    """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

Which is wholly supported and dictated by the scientific method and peer review.

From post 35:
    """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
    Summary:
    1.Objective and subjective statements are used by speakers to get their points across.

2.Objective statements are facts that can be verified by third parties while subjective statements may or may not be entirely true as they are colored by the opinions of the speaker.

3.Objective statements are most commonly found in the hard sciences, whereas subjective statements are generally used to describe the art
    """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

Those conclusions are basically correct, but it fails to mention the point I made earlier, that subjective statements/opinions/speculations/ideas, can be forerunners in the science disciplines, before reaching theoretical theory status.
    eg: Galileo after observing the moons of Jupiter, had a subjective, speculative opinion that Earth was not the center of the solar system/galaxy/Universe.
    He was later shown to be correct.

eg: Georges Lemaître first proposed what became the Big Bang theory in 1927, but at that time, a speculative, subjective opinion, that later grew to theoretical status in 1929 after Hubble's expansion discovery, and further reinforced in the 60's with the discovery of the CMBR

20. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

..."conclusions"..."basically correct, but"..."subjective statements/opinions/speculations/ideas, can be forerunners in the science disciplines, before reaching theoretical theory status."

This is 2014, the various Scientific Methods are already firmly established and accepted by "Mainstream Science".
    We are not proposing, speculating, hypothesizing nor theorizing on the development of those Scientific Methods.

However, if you are proposing, speculating, hypothesizing or theorizing on the development of Alternative Scientific Methods...
    ...well...I believe that I have read many times on SciForums, that there is a "sub-forum" for "speculative ideas", "hypotheses", and "theoretical theories" that do not align with "Accepted Mainstream Science"...

...surely you have read something about that on SciForums...?

21. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

I'm simply inferring the obvious fact, that some God botherers/Creationists, some alternative hypothesis pushers, and probably all conspiracy pseudoscience adherers and their supporters, do not follow the scientific methodology, or peer review, consequently, their then lack of objectivity and complete derision and ignoring of those two proven and tried systems [scientific method and peer review]

NOTE: Nothing wrong with subjectivity as I have explained, and if the two aforementioned conditions are upheld.

22. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

I cannot comment on any "simply inferring the obvious fact"...

I have read and re-read the OP.
    Honestly, I Objectively Observe no reference to any "God botherers/Creationists, some alternative hypothesis pushers, and probably all conspiracy pseudoscience adherers and their supporters" that "do not follow the scientific methodology, or peer review" in the OP

Do you know who first Posted about or mentioned these "God botherers/Creationists, some alternative hypothesis pushers, and probably all conspiracy pseudoscience adherers and their supporters" in this Thread?

Do you know why these "God botherers/Creationists, some alternative hypothesis pushers, and probably all conspiracy pseudoscience adherers and their supporters" were first Posted about or mentioned in this Thread?

I do know the answer to one of those questions.
    I Grok'd the answer by the application of truly Objective Observation.

I cannot possibly provide an answer to the other one of those questions - because I do not infer, assume, nor presume, when I am trying to establish the actual truth of reality, or the actual facts of reality.

But, that is just because of what I was taught in Grade School, Middle School, High School, College and working in various Science Disciplines for 35 years.

Meh!...I'm still trying to work out what exactly a "theoretical theory" is, and what differentiates it from a "non-theoretical theory", or just a "theory"...???!!!

But...my moniker is dumbest man on earth...so...

23. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

Some people on sciforums are dishonest.

It's that simple.

This is an answer to the thread, not your immediate post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.