Operating System(OS) Wars

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Stryder, Feb 14, 2014.

?

Which OS is better? (post version/build and any reason for your decision)

1. Windows OS

12 vote(s)
    30.0%
  2. Mac OS

6 vote(s)
    15.0%
  3. Linux based OS

17 vote(s)
    42.5%
  4. UNIX

2 vote(s)
    5.0%
  5. Other

3 vote(s)
    7.5%
  1. Saint Valued Senior Member

yes, Windows is the best.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. mmatt9876 Registered Senior Member

Does a large percentage of the personal computer using population use Linux or are Windows and Mac OS more popular?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Saint Valued Senior Member

Linux cannot play Windows Games.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Nacho Registered Senior Member

But, Linux can play Linux games.

If you ever go out to bars (in the USA), you see a few coin-operated game consoles. They are table-top games, not the sit-down-console type, like Pack Man, or the really big consoles like Galaticia (spelling) was. They are not much bigger than a laptop, but the display is quite a bit thicker than the laptop display of today.

Or, it used to be that way. I haven't been to a bar in quite some time (cough..cough), so I don't know if they are still there. I watched them being played and they seemed to have amazing graphics/pictures for the time period. I know they were Linux based, as I was sitting by one when the bar had a momentary power flicker. The power reset and came back on, and you could see the Linux bootup process on the screen.

I don't know if these types of games are still around though, and of course home-based games are a different matter.

8. RADII Registered Member

Enough. Windows is a catastrophe waiting to happen.

Linux can allow you to play Windows games (I'm not going to comment on why that's important) in any number of ways: Wine, containers, virtualization...

9. Engell79 Registered Member

i guess the poll in top of this thread, says more about the people on these forums and the ones choosing to vote in it, than it says much about reality about OS' systems today.

Windows have won the majority vote, dosnt means its best, but dosnt change the fact it has the current no 1. in the world of users.

widows is the best system for user freindlyness and accesability, the two most important factors for getting users.

Mac is prolly the most simple user syste frame wise in design, how ever lacks the accesability and compatability of Win.

Linux, dispite what i often hear, is much more unsecure than windows or mac for the avarage Joe who just install then use. Atleast both mac and Win has inbuild safty guards, in a clean linux you'd have to know quite a bit about security to set it up.
    With out a doubt, Linux is in my opinion supirior programming, but it lacks the ease of features u get in any Mac or Win prog.

unless your a half programmer/IT guru or enthusiast, linux is just a dream of something it never was.