Oppositional Defiant Disorder

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by visceral_instinct, Jun 4, 2009.

1. iceaura Valued Senior Member

The source of the general problem is not mentioned in the OP.

If you have to deal with one of these people, and you will, it doesn't make much difference where the "blame" lies - the immediate problem is how to get them to quit getting in fights with customers and supervisors, not enact road rage incidents with company vehicles, pay attention to the instructions and training they have received in certain dangerous or delicate aspects of their job, etc.

We all get provoked. We don't all act like assholes in consequence - most of us don't even want to.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Oh wow, he says the same thing. It's usually bouncing like mad when he's on the phone.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. ripleofdeath Registered Senior Member

well..now we have outlined the majority of the western population...
    now what ?

Question...
    what is this about power and control issues about it being directed at a child as if it is some type of child only mental illness or disability ?
    "often actively defies or refuses to comply with adults' requests or rules"

Talk about complete loss of parenting skills and a desire to oppress and subjegate.
    sheesh this is in fact a sign of a parent with some serious issues trying to take it out on the child.

DANGER WILL ROBINSON! DANGER !

Last edited: Jun 6, 2009
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. codanblad a love of bridges Registered Senior Member

i find repetitive movements relaxing in a way, staying still increases my anxiety a lot more than the movements relax me. i have a mantra if i'm scared after nightmares, i think the repetition in that is partially responsible for the soothing effects.

8. ripleofdeath Registered Senior Member

a disorder smorgasbord

the anxiety issue(disorder/illness) is one that is vastly more complex than any of the current medical professionals seem to grasp.

unfortunately it is fed by certain things that common society deem as normal.
    generally what i am beginning to discover(suggested discovery) is that anxiety is symptomatic of non conformity to social norms.

the basics for you

food and allergies is the first road to go down and make sure you have a healthy diet and spend a good few months checking through foods to make sure your not allergic to various common food types.

exercise

home living environment

work environment

ergonomics

spatial feng shui (the non religious variety which is like mental ergonomics)

then and only then once you hit your personal development issues should you then look to colour and music therapy(movies video games music drugs etc...)

problem is that doesn't make money for pharm-co's or self styled "therapists" and the victim perpetuation machine that is more commonly called mental health networks.

9. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I think its funny that the acronym for it is ODD. Are you ODD? I'm ODD. lol I've been ODD my whole life. I can't help it, I was born that way.

10. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

hey orleander (off topic but you might find it amusing) a paramedic was telling me his partner brought a pt into hospital and when handing over to the triage nurse said the pt was suffering from acronym's

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

for instance (made up not the exact case)

56 yo (year old) w (with) RS (right side) HF (Heart Failure) leading to APO (acute pulmonry odeama)

11. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

yeah, medical is a lot like the military when it comes to those

12. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

So you're all for psychiatric disorders when they suit you, but when they don't, they're non-existent crocks of shit?

Personally, I'm very skeptical of turning every behavior problem into a medical diagnosis. I think a lot of what's diagnosed as ADHD is just normal kids not getting enough exercise and/or spankings. Force young boys to sit in a desk all day, don't give them any or enough recess time, and then fail to discipline them and you're going to have behavior problems. Since corporal punishment is no longer allowed, it's easy to just medicate the kids.

One of my four children has Down's syndrome. One of his teacher's wanted him treated for ADHD. I told her his brain was fucked up enough without throwing pharmaceuticals into the mix. I said she should simply send a note home whenever he misbehaved. She sent home about three notes, my son got three spankings, and his behavior suddenly improved without pharmaceutical intervention. His doctor tells me he's the highest functioning Down's case he's ever seen.

Anyway, as to your case, you certainly do seem to exhibit a bit more anger and aggression than the average person. Does it reach the level of a pathologic condition? I'm skeptical, but don't really have enough information (or expertise) to say for sure. What treatment has been recommended?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2009
  13. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

This would be a reference to my suspected Asperger's, I assume.

I don't think these behaviours taken alone constitute a real disorder. If you had someone who argued with everything everyone said for no reason, just for fun, sure, they probably have some sort of psychosocial disorder.

But usually when someone exhibits these behaviours, they are there for a reason, because the kid has been through a system where they are treated as just a faceless component or the adults in their lives are irresponsible morons.

Can they stop their behaviour at will, or when threatened with punishment? Can they concentrate if they're threatened, or given an incentive to?

If not, sorry dude, that's called ADHD.

You honestly think corporal punishment is the answer? It's not, it does more damage than it is worth. Maybe with your Down's kid it was appropriate because he doesn't have high enough reasoning skills for you to explain why he shouldn't do things, but otherwise...no, unless they did something really bad like blinding a small animal.

I was never beaten, slapped, spanked etc...and I never displayed delinquent behaviour. I think the worst thing I ever did was throw paper balls in class occasionally.

The closest I ever came was being threatened with corporal punishment by my stepfather. I won't ever forget that. I had dropped some crumbs on the floor, and he threatened if I ever did that again, he'd give me a slapping to teach me a lesson.

That idea still makes me detonate inside with rage, whenever I hear it. The idea that someone felt they had the right to randomly enforce whatever anger or power issue they might be feeling by hitting me, doesn't seem to my mind like normal parenting, it just seems like a violation of another human being. A low level one but still a violation.

One the other hand, my mother's parenting style worked. If I did something bad I would feel like a profound and utter asshole, and make my strongest effort to never fall into that behaviour again. Why? Because she beat the crap out of me? No - I would probably have fought back, knowing my personality. It was because she would explain exactly why what I had done was wrong, and exactly what the consequences were for other people. I didn't like feeling that I was a bad person or that I had wronged someone, so that worked fine.

I'm angry when there's an appropriate stimulus. You respect me and don't try and take away unreasonable amounts of my self determination, I don't get angry. You tell me.

Treatment? I'm not undergoing treatment for anger.

14. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

As my nan used to say "if you can't beat 'em...... what's the point in having kids?"

15. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Not hardly.

Most people are almost never vindictive, aren't touchy, don't blame everyone but themselves for everything they do wrong, don't go out of their way to provoke or be provoked, and so forth.

And the one or two of my acquaintance, with whom I am sufficiently familiar to know and who do fit that profile, suffered from no lack of corporal punishment as children.

16. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Whenever I knew someone who was markedly delinquent, it always transpired that the person had a father or stepfather who slapped them around or beat them.

17. Enmos Valued Senior Member

But saying it's a disorder effectively excuses them.
    They still know that what they are doing is wrong, so they are still fully responsible.
    And even (especially) if they didn't know it, they should still be separated from society.

18. takandjive Killer Queen Registered Senior Member

As I understand it, physical punishment further overstims someone with ADD or ADHD.

Holy shit, Batman, we agree about something big. Spankings work for some kids. My niece is one of those kids and sounds a lot like your son.

I think ODD is directly related to sociopathy, so I'm not sure that applies. Some fundamental part of a person with ODD or RAD (reactive attachment disorder) or sociopathy is missing.

19. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

What's RAD?

Look at all these lovely mental disorders....I want one. I think I'm gonna invent one.

20. takandjive Killer Queen Registered Senior Member

Reactive attachment disorder.

Try www.radzebra.org

RAD is a serious problem.

21. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Damn, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have been flippant.

22. takandjive Killer Queen Registered Senior Member

No problem. I don't think a flippant attitude killed anyone here.

RAD children have been known to go as far as murdering their parents.

23. The Esotericist Getting the message to Garcia Valued Senior Member

I have a son that has been diagnosed with this condition. I work within the system, as it is my only choice currently because of the overwhelming oppression he feels, and the resistance he puts up at school. What kind of first grader gets suspended from school five times in one year? They have sent him down to the principles office for "touching" the walls of the school when he was told not too, and for such things as laughing. If you have ever seen PINK FLOYD's The Wall, you will get an idea as to where the state is taking compulsory education.

One must understand, the interests that are involved here are bigger than our children, and destroying their brains and personalities are just collatoral damage they care nothing about. If you aren't aware of the Fourth Purpose of education in the modern society, and it's roots derived from Prussia, it's time you took a look from an expert.

The second big interest? Big Pharma. The psychiatric professional community has even admitted that these "check list" mental illnesses are subjective at best.

These lists are created and driven by the profession for two purposes, to create a homogenized work force composed of "human resources" that the capitalists can rely on, and to provide a ready reliable consumer base for the pharmaceutical industry.
    Prominent psychiatrist admits psychiatric diagnoses are not based on science
    http://www.cchr.org/#/videos/office-visit

Last edited: Jun 7, 2009