Party Election Broadcasts

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Captain_Crunch, May 26, 2004.

1. Captain_Crunch Club Ninja Valued Senior Member

Im watching the television and the Christians have a political party, telling christians that it is their duty to vote for the 'Operation Christian Vote'.

So the christians may have a political party in Europe, saying that the other parties go against chritianity as they have a soft approach to drugs, protetution and even because the EU constitution doesnt have the christian faith engrained into it therefore its wrong. They say that they need 100,000 votes, so every Christian should vote for them if they believe they are christians.

The whole point of this thread is to debate whether religious parties should be allowed to stand for election. I certainly dont believe they should, they use a sort of emotional blackmail to encourage impressionable religious characters to vote for them thus giving them a say in the political system which I think needs to head away from integration with Christianity and state, afterall its a multicultural society and not all the people in Britain are christians. Voter apathy could give them a fighting chance.

Any thoughts on Party election broadcasts would be cool too.
    Whats your thoughts on this?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Logically Unsound wwaassuupp and so on Registered Senior Member

why shouldnt they.
    i dont think its bad that they use there own doctrine for their propaganda (theyve been doing it for years if you havent already noticed.
    i heard on the radio this morning a segment about how the church feels:
    "it is responsible for the wellfare of its followers, and in todays world there are too many aspects of life that the church have no say in"
    that was the general gist anyway. if you want to take it as trying to reinvigorate the churches firm control over everyone or actual sympathy, thats up too you.

political party broadcasts often use some tack like this. they appeal to the feelings of right and wrong, but the only difference here is that this doctrine they are using as their source is slightly more influential and slightly more well known.
    i dont mind them, theyre necessary, and as for the church, theyre not really going to get anywhere, as just cause your 'blessed by god' doesnt mean youll survive 5 minuted in prime ministers question time.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Captain_Crunch Club Ninja Valued Senior Member

Dont you think that religious blackmail is sort of cheating?

I didnt notice that Christians had a political party; I couldnt believe my eyes at the cheesiness of the PEB, basically its so obviously targetted at older people who are more likely to be active christians. It was some old guy saying its terrible that: Women are allowed to abort, that the other political parties are soft on drugs - therefore turning the country into one huge "drug den" - and where there will be whore houses on every street corner because of "soft" approaches by other political parties.

It was quite entertaining.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. DeeCee Valued Senior Member

So If enough muslims move to America you have no problem with the place becoming an islamic theocracy?
    Dee Cee

8. Logically Unsound wwaassuupp and so on Registered Senior Member

no, i dont (cause i dont live there hehe)
    firstly, thats not really gonna happen anytime soon
    and secondly, the whole point of democracy is that people have in power the person who is voted for. if its cause they said 'i should rule since it says so in <holy text here> then to me thats no different than going out into a crowd and kissing some babies, cause the only reason people do that is cause their perverts or cause they want YOUR vote, by making themselves seem like 'your kind of people'
    in the case of religion, they are doing this in a slightly different manner, by saying 'hey, im not a sinner, im your kind of guy'
    and while the normal politicians maybe aim for the vote of the buissness mid-thrity people with their common sense and knowledge of what the coutry needs, the christians aim at christians, and to me theres no real difference. i find this hard to say, since i hate religion, but it is true.

9. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

The pope tells Catholics how to vote. Well, the more ardent Catholics anyway, I don't know about real-world numbers or anything.

The dangerous thing about religion and politics is that the religious freaks... er... devout christians... take this stuff seriously. They don't question it period.