Peer-reviewed paper on UFOs. 80k feet to sea level in 0.79 sec (50,000+ mph!)

Discussion in 'UFOs, Ghosts and Monsters' started by SarahEllard, May 9, 2023.

?

Do you believe the US Navy?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. About what?

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. SarahEllard Registered Member

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7514271/

Thoughts?

This was recorded on 4 separate radar systems. After falling from an altitude of 80,000 feet to 50 feet in less than one second (representing a speed in excess of 50,000 miles per hour) the object then shot up to an altitude of 25,000 feet in less than one second, then hovered at that altitude.

Concerned about safety of flight the supervisor responsible for the Spy-1 radar on the Princeton was granted permission from the commanding officer to vector a pair of F-18s to intercept one of these objects. The two pilots responding to this direction were Commander Fravor a Top Gun graduate and squadron commanding officer and Lieutenant Dietrich, a newly arrived pilot to the fleet, with the squadron executive officer in her back seat as WSO. Arriving at the location directed by their controller, Fravor and Dietrich's WSO saw an object bouncing around erratically over a disturbance in the water they originally feared was a crashed airplane. Curious, Fravor descended with Lieutenant Dietrich remaining in high cover, at which time the object maneuvered to face him and mirrored his input opposite his position in a descending circle. Fravor aggressively cut across the middle of the circle at which point the object, according to Detrich, disappeared really fast.

Seconds later, his ship — the USS Princeton — said the object reappeared on its radar 60 miles away. The object, which was seen by the pilot's own eyes in addition to four independent radar systems, had actually teleported.

Do you believe the US Navy's claim?

Last edited: May 9, 2023
    Magical Realist likes this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. exchemist Valued Senior Member

What claim?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. SarahEllard Registered Member

The claim (by the US Navy) that the USS Princeton tracked objects appearing at an altitude of 80,000 feet dropping to an altitude of 50 feet in 0.79 seconds, before shooting up to 25,000 feet in a split second and hovering, and then said objects shot back up to 80,000 feet in a split second.

They also claim that these objects moved this fast without producing an IR signature or a sonic boom.

Last edited: May 9, 2023
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

You really should learn to read.

8. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

9. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

My first thought is:

"It was a clear northern night...
    ... about 100 to 200 feet below their altitude ... about 200 to 300 feet in front of the airplane. The UAV was observed to be a metallic disk-shaped object that was about 200 to 300 feet in diameter."

How did they determine the distance, size and reflectivity of an utterly unknown object in the middle of a clear night?

This paper takes for granted the accuracy of the account, and only considers the consequences if everything about it were accurate.
    That's a big if.

10. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Some of these facts should be believed, they saw what they saw and radar recieved data, but we should remember that this phenomenon was not studied directly by any scientist using properly calibrated scientific equipment, only military gear designed for war. It does point to an area for future scientific study to figure out what's really going on.

11. exchemist Valued Senior Member

As far as I can see the US Navy has made no such claim, according to the paper. Somebody in the navy has related an informal account of what he says was observed.

But the reported observations are certainly intriguing and hard to explain. This thread belongs in the UFO section. I'll ask if the mods can move it

SarahEllard likes this.
  12. billvon Valued Senior Member

That's your claim, not the Navy's, and no, I don't believe it.

13. C C Consular Corps - "the backbone of diplomacy" Valued Senior Member

From the abstract:

"The observed flight characteristics of these craft are consistent with the flight characteristics required for interstellar travel..."​

(1) The 2019 paper and its opinions stem from authors who belong to the SCU think tank. Since then, the military/government itself has openly come out with its own reports and assessments about UAPs.

(2) The accounts and views of individual Navy personnel (both retired and active) don't formally represent the Navy's authorized stance about an _X_.

(3) Can't find the word "teleport" on either the SCU document or the Twitter installment, even given the apparent "technologically advanced in the extreme" cognitive filters or interpretational preferences of the applicable writers/tweeters.
    _

Yazata and exchemist like this.
  14. SarahEllard Registered Member

I never said the paper said the object 'teleported'. My post is an aggregation of claims made by US Navy personnel. I included the paper because it seems legit. Kevin Day observed radar tracks of objects appearing at an altitude of 80,000 feet which fell to an altitude of 50 feet in less than one second.

15. billvon Valued Senior Member

Your own words: "The object, which was seen by the pilot's own eyes in addition to four independent radar systems, had actually teleported." Then you said that it was "the US Navy's claim."

Are you now claiming you never wrote that?

16. C C Consular Corps - "the backbone of diplomacy" Valued Senior Member

Which still equates to there being no source provided for that particularly narrow conception of "what's going on". (Including the Twitter discussion in 2021 taking place on Dietrich's account.)

"Teleported" being an inference, at best, if not directly proposed by those pilots.

But returning to the issue of "believe"...

I'm willing to at least believe that Fravor and Dietrich did behold circumstances that they were puzzled by. (Video interview, embedded below).

For national security reasons, it's a shame over the years that this "category of interest" is not diverse and inclusive with respect to how its UAP reports are conceived. The monomaniacal fixation of projecting "extraterrestrial" origins upon so many unrecognized events usually being what dominates, and the resulting stigma perhaps compromising reaction toward and assessments of potential air and sea intruders, spying, etc (including service members ridiculing each other).

Cmdr. Dave Fravor and Lt. Cmdr. Alex Dietrich interview

17. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

You STILL can't read, can you?

18. Yazata Valued Senior Member

This is a fascinating paper with lots of interesting details and analysis. Thank you for posting it, Sarah.

I don't believe that the US Navy has officially made any claims about it, though. So I can't answer whether I believe the Navy.

That being said, it does seem to be consistent with things that NASA Administrator Bill Nelson has said. (The objects are down there - he points down - then they suddenly are up there - he points up.) A former CIA Director and a former Director of National Intelligence have made similar remarks, so I expect that very similar acceleration estimates have made their way to them.

What is written here is consistent with my current position on these things: Something appears to have physically been there and I have no idea what it was.

I have speculated about secret aircraft prototypes, and that speculation might indeed explain some of the sightings. But the performance outlined in this paper (if accurate) is far in advance of the current aeronautical engineering state of the art.

Speculations at that point veer towards science fiction, towards such things as robotic space probes sent out by unknown extraterrestrial civilizations, and ideas like that.

Apart from speculations, I have no idea.

Last edited: May 10, 2023
    wegs and Magical Realist like this.
  19. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

The 5 observables of UAPs--

https://www.history.com/news/ufo-sightings-speed-appearance-movement

"It's white. It has no wings. It has no rotors."

"It didn't fly like an aircraft. It was so unpredictable—high g, rapid velocity, rapid acceleration."

"I didn't see a trail."

"It was going 70-plus knots underwater."

Those reports—from Navy fighter pilots, radar operators and other witnesses from the USS Nimitz aircraft carrier strike group incident from November 2004—were among a handful of shocking encounters the Unidentified team explored. When Elizondo ran the Defense Department initiative, called the Advanced Aerospace Threat Identification Program, or AATIP, he compiled a list of extraordinary, logic-defying capabilities most commonly associated with unidentified aerial phenomena sightings. He calls those traits the “five observables”:

Last edited: May 10, 2023
    wegs likes this.
  20. SarahEllard Registered Member

I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you're talking about. Are you making the suggestion that the US Navy pilots who saw the UAP are not actually in the US Navy, and those who documented this encounter were not affiliated with the US Navy?

21. SarahEllard Registered Member

I'm confused by your question. What are you talking about, and why have you posted this same question twice?

22. Yazata Valued Senior Member

I think their point is that these pilots and radar operators weren't expressing the official position of the US Navy about these events. They were just describing what they saw.

As far as I know, the Navy has never released an official conclusion.

23. billvon Valued Senior Member

No. I am saying that you, not the US Navy, claimed that they teleported. Thus it is not a question of believing the US Navy. It is a question of not believing you.