People from a Place Conjugation?

Discussion in 'Linguistics' started by Prince_James, Feb 26, 2007.

1. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

Flanders.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

I could totally were they're coming from. :m:

I was awed when I learned the real adjective: Utahn. But of course, Firefox's automatic spell-checker thinks it's wrong somehow, which only reinforces my irrational belief that it's simply a bastard adjective. Everyone knows people from Utah are Utah-n-an-ians...

Will happily do. :m:

PJ was right: Flanders. I think it was a former name of the area that's now the Netherlands and Belgium. There's a Flemish language nowadays, which apparently is related to, yet distinct from, Dutch.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

The Flemish are a people of Germanic ancestry closely related to the Dutch. They inhabit Flanders, the northern part of what is now Belgium, adjacent to the Netherlands. They speak Flemish. Most linguists consider Flemish a dialect of Dutch because of the high intercomprehensibility--perhaps higher than between two anglophones from the backwoods of Alabama and Scotland. The politically correct call it a separate language because there is a strong Flemish separatist movement in Belgium and they want Flemish treated as a language, not a dialect.

The southern part of Belgium, adjacent to France, is called Wallonia. Its people are called Walloons and they speak French. Of course we know that the people of northern France are descendants of the Franks, also a Germanic folk. They are cousins of the Flemish and Dutch who gave up their language for Latin during the Roman occupation.

The Gauls in southern France were a Celtic people, one of the last remnants of the Celtic tribes that once ruled most of sub-Scandinavian Europe. To this day you can often hear the difference between the trilled Celtic R in the speech of southern France and the gargled German R in Paris. The Romans just called the whole place Gallia; the Germans call it Frankenreich.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Oxygen One Hissy Kitty Registered Senior Member

Amazing. I wonder if anyone has traced the language tree of the native tribes of North America? I know that when working out place descriptors for the tribes, you generally just use the name of the tribe with few exceptions. You might say a design is "Apache", not "Apachean", or Cherokee, or Sioux, but for the sub-tribes of the Anasazi, Chaco and Sinagua for example, you could either say Chaco or Sinagua, or Chacoan or Sinaguan.