philosophyforums weighs in on sciforums

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by spookz, Jan 23, 2003.

1. Porfiry Nomad Registered Senior Member

And at the current rate of posting here, we could generate a philosophyforums worth of content every two weeks or less. Of course, that's a meaningless simplification and of course the two sites are very different. I've deliberately tried to broaden the scope of sciforums under the realization that talking science and philosophy all the time is restricting and probably tiresome.

To really build a community, you need to provide an outlet for all the (interesting) thoughts a potential member might be thinking.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Distortion melted down Registered Senior Member

Unless you're trying to build a community of people who specifically enjoy debating about things that have at least mild philosophical implications... that is.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

As Paul said (I think) - philosophyforums isn't really a 'community' site. It's just different. As for the 'philosophyforums content every 2 weeks' - well, I'm tempted to take that apart, but as you said it's a gross oversimplification so I'll leave it at that

As for it being tiresome - I don't see how its more tiresome than anything else - at least in the sense that if you get tired of one topic, you're probably not just going to move to another section of the forum (I'd think..) although I suppose I could be wrong about that.

Meh. I don't think it's tiresome - since philosophy broadly encompasses, well, all knowledge

It's probably just me though.. so you're probably right Porfiry.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Distortion melted down Registered Senior Member

On another note -

Yes, but that isn't at all representative of amount of content. To a larger degree, it's certainly not representative of the real meaning, thought, and wealth of information that is there - which is what I value (for me, specifically) in a forum.

When you have threads like '3 word story' and 'word association' and others that get well over 1000 posts in one thread - that are all 3 words long, post count becomes rather meaningless.

Most if not all of the regular posters average well over 100 words a post, and quite a few over 200 a post. Perhaps that means we're wordy, perhaps that means we ramble, perhaps that means we think alot before we post. You can go and read the forum and judge for yourself.

Personally, I think it's just a personal thing - ('is green better than blue?') and that there's no objective comparison.

The forums are different and both excellent and we should leave it at that

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

I still wonder

I still wonder what the hell's bugging them all so much, though, that this site was the best thing they had to talk about. I mean, that bitchy, whining topic post was just amazing. Oh, well. It's nice to know that the people have a place to run and cry.

--Tiassa

8. Firefly Registered Senior Member

Why are you all so annoyed that they've found another forum? I browse many other forums, some philosophy/science related, some not. I post on a few too. This forum is a secondary forum to me as well, though my primary forum isn't about anything that can be discussed here. Is it so rude of me to browse other phil/sci forums and dare to read other non-sciforumers thoughts? Or even to post and respond?

It seems to me that creating this thread is self defeating. You complain that they are slagging off sciforums, and yet you proceed to slag off their forum. Why the need to bitch about other forums? It's like Distortion said, it's a personal thing. Everyone has different preferences, you can't dislike them for preferring that forum to this one, that's like me disliking someone for having different music tastes to me.

9. spookz Banned Banned

nonsense!
    observe how we cocked rifles and circled wagons. nothing like a bit of criticism to engender and strengthen our sense of community.

unwarranted assumptions. where in this thread is the annoyance? who said browsing,posting, responding other forums is not approved?

tit for tat is fun.
    by keeping this thread alive, mr firefly, you probably will inspire others to continue retaliating.

cheers

10. Firefly Registered Senior Member

That's also what they're doing.

"... we may be able to pawn off some of our more obnoxious posters on that miserable lot." Also, I think Thor called them tightasses?

And it's Ms Firefly.

I don't mind, I'm interested in why you seem to take offense.

11. spookz Banned Banned

i never take offense. i only play, ms firefly (i had no idea!)
    hmm

12. pumpkinsaren'torange Registered Senior Member

:bugeye:

*scratches head* what the heck are all you lunatics talking about now?? i have a hard time keeping up with all you brainiacs sometimes,....please give a poor girl a break.