Photons Do Not Have A Mass

Discussion in 'The Cesspool' started by Reiku, Dec 2, 2007.

1. mercaptan Das Feuer liebt mich Registered Senior Member

Yeah I was beginning to think this is the case. Oh well. Cheers for the heads up. I'm leaving this thread alone because it's not going anywhere. On to something more interesting and time worthy!

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

You're one to talk.

Try a more civil introduction next time you start participating in a forum. It could go a long way. All that you proved to me is that you are automatically wrong when you say anything. Try proving something else next time.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Tnerb Banned Banned

Time worthy is the word...

*Sigh*
    !

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

I've never once shown the slightest sign of irrationality - because I'm not. But you seem to go off your medication fairly often and lash out at people that haven't even said one unkind word to you.

8. Tnerb Banned Banned

We've had meta discussions before

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

They are the most interesting and heated that there are here at sciforums.
    Next to some invert nexus discussions.

LOL
    I kill myself

9. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

Read-Only.Credibility.Rating = 0

10. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

And why would you suppose I care one iota what you may think of me? You give yourself FAR too much credit. If you totally vanished right at this moment it wouldn't bother in the slightest. Or if you thought I was THE greatest person ever, it still wouldn't interest me at all.

11. Tnerb Banned Banned

lol

Read only you rock. Had to say it.
    It's when things start getting personal that they turn into debates of equality etc etc etc etc.

12. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

To try to get this back on topic:

Momentum equals mass times velocity. Kinetic energy equals mass times half the velocity squared, or mass times the integral of the velocity.

When you have a very tiny mass, you can have a lot of kinetic energy and very little momentum. If you can measure the kinetic energy, you can work backwards to get the mass from the speed of the particle. Take the square root of the velocity and double it. Divide the kinetic energy of the particle by that number to get the mass. Anyone who is not a pussy can work up an equation. This leaves you with a number that is the effective mass of the photon.

The fact that momentum is conserved within a system and not kinetic energy makes for a different universe from what people thought we had. It is why solar sails can be hit with billions of watts of energy and exert only a few kilograms of thrust. It is why it takes megawatts of power to get a few pounds of thrust out of an ion drive. A car is more energy efficient than a rocket because it sort of throws away mass, in that it pushes the mass of the road behind it, expending a lot less energy to transfer momentum.

People who read Reiku's writings for understanding gain a lot. Mercaptan, you are a loser.

13. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

Then don't let it happen again. I do not value your opinions.

14. Sciencelovah Registered Senior Member

15. Sciencelovah Registered Senior Member

16. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

17. mercaptan Das Feuer liebt mich Registered Senior Member

WOW, three consecutive posts you refer to me. THREE. You're obviously rattled by me.

Lachhaft.

18. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

MetaKron:

Your error here is in assuming that these equations apply to photons. They do not.

19. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

Yes they do.

20. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

21. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

22. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

23. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

I'm lost here. Are you or are you not claiming that photons have mass?