Protestors

Discussion in 'Politics' started by birch, Nov 10, 2016.

1. Yazata Valued Senior Member

I wasn't suggesting an equivalence, I was drawing a distinction between McCain and Romney supporters who were disappointed but didn't riot, and a certain segment of Hillary supporters who were disappointed and are rioting.

That's a hate-filled caricature.

Trump won by well over two to one (67% - 28%) among white Americans without college degrees. (The "white working class" in other words, the same voters who once were a large part of the Democrats' base.) Views like yours regarding them is why the Democrats are losing that important portion of their base and why Trump won Wisconsin, Michigan, Indiana, Ohio and Pennsylvania.

And it wasn't just less-educated white voters either, Trump narrowly won (49% - 45%) among white Americans with college degrees.

The whole idea that a majority of white Americans are "militia groups" and "KKK types" is no more accurate than saying that Obama's base were gang-bangers and loony-tunes campus Marxists.

Do you really believe that the US Federal Government is more willing to allow states to secede from the Union now than they were in the Civil War?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
    Bowser likes this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

I'm in Portland where there was some vandalism last night during the protest march. Everyone knows it was anarchists in their black handkerchiefs that later joined in on the peaceful protest march. It was NOT the liberal protesters---members of black lives matters, the LGBT community, the Latino community, and women's reproductive movement.. No more than the KKK and racists were part of the tea party protests of Obama's years. There's always extremist groups that opportunistically use any large protest to express their agenda. They cowardly hide in the anonymity of the crowd.

Bowser likes this.
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Yazata Valued Senior Member

I think that one of the things his voters liked is that he answered questions in real time by composing his answers then and there, saying just what he thought at that particular moment. The results weren't always consistent, but it come across to his voters as real. Whereas whenever Hillary was asked a question, she never answered directly, she always delivered memorized talking points. But as you say, Trump probably won't be able to keep speaking off the cuff as President.

Here in the US the Democrats play the role your Labour party does/did in Britain, while the Republicans resemble your Conservatives. So Trump's talk about big infrastructure projects sounds more like Obama than his own party. Obviously the problem is how to pay for it. (We've been doing a good job of having the worst of both worlds, not getting the infrastructure projects (a trillion dollars of 'stimulus' spending during the financial crisis just kind of disappeared) while deficits still expand.

He's told Theresa May that he wants to do a trade deal with the UK. (Pence was talking to Boris Johnson too.) That might be in the UK's interest, if the EU tries to get pay-back for Brexit by enacting punishing tariffs.

He told the Wall Street Journal today that he wants to keep parts of Obamacare. I don't think that he wants to totally dismantle it, he just wants to simplify it. I'm not sure if he knows yet exactly what form that will take. So I'm not anticipating a hard-repeal with nothing to replace it.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Yeah. Real dumb.

8. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Trump has been backpeddling on his promises to his base for months now. The mass deportation of 15 million illegal immigrants? We'll have to look into this later. Obamacare to be abolished? Not really now. Just some tweeks and peaks here and there. Lock Hillary up? Nawww...we're moving on. The wall? No mention of it now. If he keeps doing this he will be the most hated President in U.S. history.

9. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Overall i thank Trump suporters alredy got what they realy wanted... a big Fug-You to the Republican an Democrat party... an they will give Trump a big pass on all his promises... so all Trump needs to do is delegate the work... pass on ther decisions to the public an then spend his time doin the fun parts of bein president.!!!

10. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

I know the majority of the protesters in my town are trying to keep it peaceful. They started a gofundme to help repair the damage from last night. There seems to be a small element that desires vandalism rather than protest. I'm trying to keep the two apart and hold the benefit of a doubt where the real protesters stand on the matter.

11. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Trump is going to destroy established rights, and who knows what else, who cares about some minor vandalism?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
  12. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Minor damage if you're not paying for the repairs.

13. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Liberal guilt will come to the rescue. Ultimately, this anger must be directed to something constructive. Midterm elections are in two years.

14. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

I'm watching it live in my home town. They are chanting "Peaceful Protest." The protest here does seem a bit ironic though, since my state voted for Clinton and is very liberal. As long as they're not tearing up the city, I don't have a problem with it.

15. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

A candidate who says stuff off the cuff is one thing - they can't actually do anything they claim at that time. But a President who says stuff off the cuff is worrying for the stability of the economy and international relationships more than anything else. If he says something... odd... then the time between him saying it and his people trying to put the fire out can do lasting damage.
    Hmmm. Maybe resemble in term of which end of the political spectrum in your country goes, but your Democrats are roughly where I would see our Conservative party - right of centre.
    But whereas we then have a left of centre / far left in the Labour, your Republicans are further right than the Democrats.
    The difference, I guess, is what the underlying populace are used to. We have fairly much gone with centre politics for a long time. We have an infrastructure that is inherently leftist - such as the NHS - publically funded for all. So our overall politics, whichever party, are generally more central than in the US.
    That said, we currently have a far more far-left leader in the Labour party, and there are, in the UK and across Europe, tendencies toward the far-right, with people becoming tired of the same-old same-old centre. It gave rise to UKIP, to Brexit, and may well lead to further breakup - or at least push the EU toward greater reform to stem the rising mood.
    This isn't limited to the US

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

We've been on a path of austerity - yet the deficit still grows - partly 'cos we don't want the economy to stall. We pumped $Bns into the economy, and perhaps this stopped us going into recession, but it was mostly given to the banks, to lend to smaller businesses etc. Our focus has been very much on the financial service sector that drives our economy (possibly far more than it should, at the expense of our now almost non-existent manufacturing base).
    The labour party at the last election were campaigning on stimulating the economy through infrastructure - to effectively spend our way to prosperity. And the Conservatives are now proposing this following Brexit. But whereas in the UK it is really a means of pumping money into the economy (jobs etc), in the US it seems from what Trump was saying to be a matter of projects to stimulate the manufacturing base of the US - as well as the economy as a whole.
    The US and UK will undoubtedly do a deal - to the benefit of both, I'm sure. But it will take time - and possibly Trump's successor in 4 years will end up scrapping it before it gets signed!

The rest of the EU will undoubtedly look to get pay-back, but they have to bear in mind that we import far more from them than they do from us, so tariffs will hurt them much more. But who knows what will happen with the Brexit discussions. Given that one part of Belgium could have stopped the signing of a trade deal with Canada that had been discussed for 7 years... all it takes is one leader in one country to want to piss the UK off and a deal won't be signed at all.
    I've heard that this morning. I didn't realise that people got fined if they didn't have insurance! Shows what I know.

16. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

3 million people have signed so far calling for the Electoral College to support the popular vote.

'Mr. Trump is unfit to serve. His scapegoating of so many Americans, and his impulsivity, bullying, lying, admitted history of sexual assault, and utter lack of experience make him a danger to the Republic,' wrote Elijah Berg, who created the petition.'​

src: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3928944/More-TWO-MILLION-people-sign-petition-Electoral-College-elect-Hillary-Clinton-president.html
    The world is starting to protest .... and it appears to be gaining momentum

17. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

From Snopes on "Faithless electors":
    "The upshot of all this is that yes, it is theoretically possible that — as urged by the Change.org petition cited above — a large group of Republican-selected electors could choose not to cast their ballots for Donald Trump, but to instead defect and vote for Democrat Hillary Clinton (or some other compromise candidate) and thus deny the putative election winner (Trump) from gaining the White House. Such an event would technically be constitutional, but it would also be wholly unprecedented in American history and would require a sudden and drastic change in the United States' political traditions."
    src: http://www.snopes.com/2016/11/11/the-electoral-college-and-the-popular-vote/

Of course the unprecedented nature of this election already requires a sudden and drastic change in political traditions...IMO

18. wellwisher Banned Banned

The protests have appeared because the Democrats filled their base with hate and misinformation, such that they are still overflowing with it. It may take a few more days to vent. Do you remember when President Obama won the office, how all the racist and bigoted Conservatives protested, rioted and looted. Actually, this did not happen, because that was liberal propaganda for own base. It was not what Republicans teach or do.

There is a reason for the electoral college. Picture if we did away with the Electoral College and used the popular vote to decide the president. At election time, most people would only care about their town, city and state elections, and the totals of the national popular vote. Few would care about what happened in states in other parts of the country. With the electoral college, people need to be more aware of how all the other states are voting, since even the smallest of states can influence and even decide the outcome. The Founding fathers added the electoral college to make US citizens think beyond their little world.

19. birch Valued Senior Member

You are either brainwashed or dishonest. Almost none of your posts make sense. Teaching hate has nothing to do with political affiliation. Conservatives teach hate and intolerance notoriously even more. Are you actually serious? Conservatives are notoriously more inclined to be self absorbed and hateful. Google any type of nationalist site no matter what race! Thats their claim to fame! Do you purposefully reason everything assbackwards?

And as far as the electoral college, you contradict conservative logic because they only do care about their interests and no one elses except oppressing them. According to conservative logic, the electorate taking precedence over popular vote is pandering to those who dont fucking matter! But of course their hypocrite logic wont be applied to them when they are in the little mans shoes asking for consideration now does it?? All those fuking red states are the ones who are the most WELFARE states, not the blue ones!!! I could go on and on about their usual hypocritical, cherry picking, pompous, dishonest devilish /deceitful, ingrained hardheaded fuking logic!!

20. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

well you need to tell that to the world not me...
    If the world chooses to boycott your president then that is up to them....
    and given the sheer ridicule that the EU has recently dished out , the ending of the Paris climate change accord and a whole host of hard worked for arrangements , agreements and "rights" it would not surprise me in the slightest if the worlds leaders do indeed demonstrate a severe protest.

Accordingly the protesters have until 19th of December,2016 to make their case to the college electors.

21. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

According to Snopes the electoral college system was also designed to prevent an obnoxious half wit from gaining power....well it has failed this time... and the world knows it...hence the "faithless" elector provisions as a way in part of dealing with extreme civil unrest and discord caused by a controversial election.

A common passion or interest will, in almost every case, be felt by a majority of the whole; a communication and concert result from the form of government itself; and there is nothing to check the inducements to sacrifice the weaker party or an obnoxious individual. Hence it is that such democracies have ever been spectacles of turbulence and contention; have ever been found incompatible with personal security or the rights of property; and have in general been as short in their lives as they have been violent in their deaths.

src: http://www.snopes.com/2016/11/11/the-electoral-college-and-the-popular-vote/

22. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

If you look fairly closely at the dynamics you can see that this issue will most probably not simmer down and most likely will grow significantly because Trump regardless of party is deemed to be unfit for office by not only his constituents but by the world generally.

23. sculptor Valued Senior Member

Or, we could just scrap the constitution, and find the most corrupt leader and start a military dictatorship, force everyone to wear beanies with propellers on top, and shoot anyone who does not oil their propeller on a daily basis.