Random note on cricket

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Tiassa, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

your right, i apologise

its between 140 and 160 not 160 to 180 sorry

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Simon Anders Valued Senior Member

Some baseball descriptions from the first game description that came up when I googled:

I do not agree with the OP's argument based on written descriptions.
    I do think cricket is mysterious. Of course I did not grow up on it.

It is possible cricket is objectively stranger and more complicated and the language is more purple.

But I would need a more thorough linguistic study to prove this.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2008
  4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Steve100 O͓͍̯̬̯̙͈̟̥̳̩͒̆̿ͬ̑̀̓̿͋ͬ ̙̳ͅ ̫̪̳͔O Valued Senior Member

I have seen someone be given out for a double hit once before at local level.
    The batsman clipped the ball and it went slightly in the air and was falling toward the stumps so he hit it again to protect his wicket, but at the same time prevented the stumpie from catching the ball so was given out.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Maybe this should fade, but I'm still mulling over something and the radio recently reminded me: is cricket really similar to baseball ?

Illustration: there are religions that look very little like Christianity in their rituals, but upon acquaintance you find one God who loves the believer personally, the theme of sacrifice, the emphasis on sincerity of belief and spiritual rightness as an internal and intrinsic property of character, souls and an ascendancy into Heaven for the good, God universally present everywhere, etc.

And on the other hand religions with rituals that look very much like Christianity - kneeling to pray, symbolic bits of food and wine consumed, priests leading services, something very like a cross being worshipped, etc, but upon acquaintance you find the Deity is located in a physical place,distant and uncaring and dangerous and in need of placating; that sincerity of belief counts for nothing and correct performance of ritual everything, souls are distillations of malevolent aspects of the dead and to be avoided or driven away, no Heaven, and so forth.

So cricket has formal similarities with baseball. But are the inner circumstances the same - the attraction of the sport the same or similar ?

We have the assertion by people here that anyone who really likes baseball would also like cricket. And we have the circumstance I heard on the radio yesterday of 20/20 cricket becoming increasingly popular - billed as being more like baseball, by which is meant shorter matches, apparently - but the stat was that a big cricket match would draw over a hundred million TV viewers, while about 17 million watched the last World Series (I assume they meant average per game).

And the impression of myself and others (?) that certain aspects of cricket held to be important features and contributing to the complexity of the game would be (and are) deliberately and with prejudice excluded from the play of baseball.

So I have the impression that cricket and baseball are in psychologically important ways almost opposites, tapping opposed and contrary features of attraction to a sport; that the similarity of ritual and form conceals a fundamental difference in approach.

8. shaman_ Registered Senior Member

9. DiamondHearts Registered Senior Member

The last time I was able to watch cricket was Twenty20 2007 finals with India vs. Pakistan. That was a great match.

Does anyone know the best way to watch live cricket for free online?