Reality is an Illusion

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by TruthSeeker, Jun 9, 2006.

1. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

We often think that some things are "optical illusions". When we smoke too much weed or snore too much rock (not me!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

) we often see "hallucinations". Little children can be synaestesic and we call those perceptions illusions as well. We are in the middle of a desert and we see an oasis and that is also an illusion.

Well, maybe not. What makes something an illusion? How do you know the entire world we live in is also an illusion? It is just because we don't all perceive completely different things!? How do you know? You cannot see with others' eyes. You cannot hear with others' ears. So how can you be so sure!?

Even if we would do tests, that doesn't really override the concept that something is real. If you perceive it, it is essentially real. We can barely grasp this universe and yet we classify some things as illusions?

Why would something that we would perceive be an illusion?

Take for instance this example. I'm walking down a street. The sun is shining in the horizon. A mirror is placed on the right side and I can perceive too suns. Which one is real? They both hurt my eyes, because the light is very bright. So how can you call the one reflected in the mirror an illusion? Doesn't it behave the same way as the other one? Doesn't it have the same attributes? Doesn't it "go away" with the sun, when the sun goes down, and comes back when the sun is back? How can you call it less real then the sun!?

When you start thinking about that, you might want to take a closer look around you. What are you perceiving? Atoms? Molecules? You don't see them, do you? But those things are the actual "reality". So how can you call an object real, if your perception is different from the actual Truth?

Now try to perceive it. I've been able to perceive how relative space is and how odd matter behaves- specially when I was a child. So maybe we are capable of it. Maybe what we consider "illusions" are just a part of reality that we are usually unaware of.

What is real?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Much of reality is a fill-in-the-blanks type of existance. Reality can be real and what we see is really there, but what you do not pick up with your eyes, ears, ect., the brain fills in the rest. I remember looking at pictures of what our eyes actually see in the world and I got to tell you, it's not much. A lot of blur and nonsense but the brain fills in the rest so you can make sense out of it.

Ok, that was me assuming reality is a real thing; external of our mind.

Perhaps it is not real. Maybe the Matrix? Maybe we are all someone's dream in a different reality? Perhaps we are all blobs of thought energy in a vast sea of nothing all networked to create a coherent whole we call reality? Maybe it is only I that exists and everything and everyone is just a product of some evil being controling my reality? Would I have free-will in that situation?

Hell, we do not know.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spiritual_spy SN0W_F0X Founder Registered Senior Member

Realness............hmmm....I have no clue.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

again?

8. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Is everyone awake at this hour (1:20 am)? Does anyone have a life?

I'm going to bed as soon as my child finishes his bottle! Jesus...

I will be back tomorrow when I'm actually awake...

9. spiritual_spy SN0W_F0X Founder Registered Senior Member

Its 4:21AM were i live

10. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

what?

11. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

It's 4:26 AM here.
    I'm here because I work nights and I get bored at work.

This damned topic again.
    I can't count how many time this topic has come up, not to mention all the times something similar enough has come and inevitably led to this.

12. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

How often does this topic come up? So long as it is not every month I am ok with it...

13. c7ityi_ Registered Senior Member

reality can't be an illusion, but the appearance of the universe can be.

because it's not the sun, it's just a reflection of the sun. illusion means "something else than what it seems to be", it also means "part of mind".

everything is part of our consciousness, otherwise we couldn't be aware of it.

real is something that is what it seems to be. the sun is not real, it appears to be a round burning ball in the sky, but if you look more closely you'll see something different. the sun is made of "matter", to understand what the sun is in reality, you have to understand what matter is and what it's made of.

what is visible is always illusory, an illusion produced by a cause but unable to create anything.

14. BSFilter Nature has no kindess/illwill Registered Senior Member

Anything filtered through human senses is subject to being false. We cannot percieve reality until our senses have evolved enough to let us do so. Until then we can only work it out on paper and in theoretical models.
    Our senses are unreliable, it is why we see 3D images in 2D pictures. Many animals such as bees are able to see in UV light, so their perception of reality is much different.
    At this point, humans cannot know what reality is.

15. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

16. nicholas1M7 Banned Banned

If reality is an illusion then death must be truly living and life is death. Like a matrix type existence.

17. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

No...

18. RoyLennigan Registered Senior Member

what we sense might be illusions, but as they are all relative to each other, we are able to percieve reality as a whole despite how our mind translates individual senses.

19. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Hehehehe...

I was high on painkillers yesterday night, as you can tell...

I saw a few hallucinations, specially around 2:00am...

So anyways... how can we trust our senses, really? I think we only perceive a little bit of reality- not the whole... :m:

20. RoyLennigan Registered Senior Member

well of course. i mean, if we percieved all of reality we would know everything.

21. BSFilter Nature has no kindess/illwill Registered Senior Member

What kind of painkillers you got Truth?

22. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Yes. Meanwhile we know nothing.

23. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Well, at that day I took Tylenol-3, which has codine in it. I also have oxicodon. They were prescribed to me when I broke my elbow in half and since then I just love them.

I managed to save quite a few... I usually use them when I have a really bad headache...

I don't use drugs often. I get too much resistance and quickly need much more to get a buzz. I'm not interested in getting addicted so... I rarely use them...