Redirecting/stopping Magnetic Fields

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by Harnu, Mar 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Railguns use magnetic repulsion, but the rails themselves are not magnetic.

The basic principle is (more or less) that the rail completes an electric circuit, however the current creates opposing magnetic fields, which act on the projectile to propel it (right hand rule).

Compare this to a Gauss rifle which basically uses a series of electromagnets to accelerate a projectile (I don't remember off the top of my head whether the projectile has to be ferromagnetic or just conductive).

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

The principle of using magnetic force to accelerate a projectile works. But if the magnetism reaches high enough force all things become magnetic. Please see the following article. It explains very well.

The Frog That Learned to Fly

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

I'm familiar with diamagnetism and paramagnetism - in Chemistry we have a set of very sensitive balances that we use to measure the diamagnetic/paramagnetic properties of solid samples (not to mention to determine if the sample is diamagnetic or paramagnetic). This is useful to chemists because it can allow us to infer information about the elctronic structure of the analyte, which in turn can allow us to (among other things) determine between High spin and low spin configurations.

Addendum: All of which is beside the point that I was making, which is that Railguns rely on Lenz's force law, rather than the magnetic properties of the projectile, where as a gauss gun requires the use of a ferromagnetic projectile, and is dependent on the magnetic properties of the projectile.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

According to the article all elements have magnetic properties, some are just more resistant to magnetic fields than others. I think they are trying to develop a large enough magnetic field strong enough to levitate people which would be a big advantage in weightless training activities. However I can see future amusement park ride with lines around the park.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I guess that will be beyond most peoples price range for some time to come even when it does become possible.

8. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Correct.
    Paramagnetic elements are attracted to magnetic fields.
    Diamagnetic elements are repelled by them.

The balance we use takes a small sample, measures its weight, applies a magnetic field of known strength and polarity, then remeasures its weight. The difference in weight is degree to which it is repelled or attracted by a magnetic field and the sign of the difference tells you whether or not the material is diamagnetic or paramagnetic. As I said, the magnitude and polarity of the difference can give you information about the electronic structure of the material, and differentiate between high spin and low spin configurations (because they have different numbers of unpaired electrons and respond to magnetic fields differently).

I for one would not be volunteering for any such ride.

9. kwhilborn Banned Banned

If you placed an iron bar along the magnetic field, and then angled it slightly would the magnetic field be travelling further? I realize this is a very old thread, but I love the topic.

Could ferric material shape the field? Could you have the field condensed in an iron tube on the top side, and have it fully expanded and acting normal on the bottom side of a magnet?

10. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

Didn't hurt the frog any.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.