Religion Vs God

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by NMSquirrel, Nov 30, 2009.

1. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

ok this is for all of those ppl who tend to confuse religion with god..

A religion is a system of human thought which usually includes a set of narratives, symbols, beliefs and practices that give meaning to the practitioner's experiences of life through reference to a higher power, deity or deities, or ultimate truth.[1]

webster defines it as a 'system of worship'

many users here on this forum tend to associate the belief in god with religion
    although believers tend to form religions based on commmon interpretations,
    they are two seperate things..you do not have to belong to any religion to believe in god..

i would encourage ppl when they post to be aware of the differances between the two in order to facilitate a more productive disscussion..

i personally tend to argue for god and against religion,
    also there are plenty of threads here to put forth your opinion against god,this is not one of them..(notice i did not include religion in that statement)

if you hate God..post it elsewhere!

also this could easily be a slamfest against religion,lets not go there..try to be specific with your gripes against religion,
    IE; i don't understand why religions say if i don't believe the way they do i am worthless..(well..that may not be a good example as it isn't specific)

What is your personal story with religion?..with god?
    Is there such a thing as a true religion?
    Do you have to be perfect to get to heaven?
    How would you describe the difference between God and Religion?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Bishadi Banned Banned

but like the term God itself, often the definitions are just opinions.

'worship' is the error of religion

i agree

WHY?

study them all; be mates with the boss

sure; be honest

you in heaven, and born into it perfect. All diviations from there are man created.

god is existence itself

religions are man created with rituals, metaphors and opinions of

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

Please define, "God", "truth", and, "religion".

jan.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

he did define religion. you can't define god. and truth is what it is according to god and law.

8. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

If you can't define god how do you go about getting a definition of gods truth?

9. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

With that definition of "religion", I don't understand how question number 2
    can be answered, as it can't mean anything to anybody, other than, "no", or, "yes" a religion of my choosing.

How is it possible to believe in god, if you can't define god?
    If you're satisfied with the given definition of religion, then shouldn't you
    be equally satisfied with a similar-sourced definition of god?
    And the question posed by shichimenshyo.

jan.

10. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

mainly cause i think religion makes it about themselves and not about god..they say you have to believe this way or you will go to hell..IMO this takes god out of the equation..there is no room for god to work within religion,when they tell you you have to be this way..

11. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

well, truth in regards to what? i mean, all of the knowledge that the universe and god has to offer?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

that's a lot!

why is it so important to know everything? can't we just live and learn with righteous intent? isn't that really the best we can do for now?

12. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

imo, you would have to be god to define god.

god is what it is, and i'm wide open to that, regardless of religion.

13. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

Truth in regard to whats right and whats wrong, truth in regards to how we should live our lives, and truth in regard to individuals and the directions their lives must take. That kind of truth. If we can't even begin to understand god how do we even begin to understand his truth? :shrug:

14. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

i can't define my dad, but i believe in him because i know him and interact with him. same as god.

15. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

for sake of fairness..
    God is most often conceived of as the supernatural creator and overseer of the universe. Theologians have ascribed a variety of attributes to the many different conceptions of God. The most common among these include omniscience, omnipotence, omnipresence, omnibenevolence (perfect goodness), divine simplicity, and eternal and necessary existence. God has also been conceived as being incorporeal, a personal being, the source of all moral obligation, and the "greatest conceivable existent".[1] These attributes were all supported to varying degrees by the early Jewish, Christian and Muslim theologian philosophers, including Maimonides,[2] Augustine of Hippo,[2] and Al-Ghazali,[3] respectively. Many notable medieval philosophers developed arguments for the existence of God.[3] Many notable philosophers and intellectuals have, by contrast, developed arguments against the existence of God.

i guess one of my points to discuss,the question becomes..
    what is religion doing to god that makes god a bad thing?

16. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

Well if you know and trust in something without having any idea what it stands for..well it just seems a tad bit shortsighted that's all.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

17. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

i don't think that people should need a religion to tell them these things. god is an entity that has communicated with me via a variety of means, including the spirit, just like god did with people in the bible, and just like god does with many people. i think it better to look inside yourself, than to look to another person, or even a doctrine, to tell you what is right and wrong. the holy spirit is called the counselor for a reason. it can show you things. it can teach you...direct you. you just have to want it and care i think. i think that lots of times religion is a distraction to that communication. that's not to say that various religions don't teach good lessons; they do. but imo, there is much more to it than that.

18. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

through interaction, just like with my dad, i come to understand what it stands for.

19. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

Can the holy spirit teach you anything?

20. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

21. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

sure, why not?

it seems to me that it will teach you what you need to know.

22. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

this is my point..if it comes down to listening to god and listening to your religion,why is it religion claims they know better?

23. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

If you ask of it something out of a need to know will the spirit teach you as to fulfill said need?