Religious Pride

Discussion in 'Religion' started by jadedflower, Apr 14, 2004.

?

Proud?

1. I'm Religious and Proud.

3 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. I'm Religious but "proud" isn't the word I'd use

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. Athiest/Agnostic and Proud

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Athiest/Agnostic and who gives a fk anyway?

19 vote(s)
    79.2%
  1. Leviticus Banned Banned

you are merely having pride in your beliefs.
    im not degrading to insulting people here, but its sort of like:
    i am right, i have these beliefs, and it makes me happy.
    ? does that answer what you are asking.
    im not really sure what the problem is. you are proud to be a muslim, means that you think that your beliefs are right and you are not afraid to tell others about it.
    speaking from the point of being atheist, i am not really pround, but i think i know that my beliefs are true and that gives me a sort of happiness that could be called pride. maybe that is it. is it?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

With religions and other ideologies, I don't think pride is important. It becomes a problem, when one thinks: "I believe in this, and I'm right, therefore everyone else must believe in this." People should mind their own business, and then others' beliefs and thoughts will not be so traumatic.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Leviticus Banned Banned

well thats not what this thread was about, ask jade what the hell she was talkin bout cause i didnt understand, i just bullshitted.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Bachus Registered Senior Member

Woohoo I'm in the big group with the poll

I am so proud right now

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2004
  8. Leviticus Banned Banned

o lol the irony..... very good

9. Closet Philosopher Off to Laurentian University Registered Senior Member

Religious pride is just like black pride, gay pride or asian pride... it bugs the fuck out of me and makes me hate them instead of "accept" them, even if I agree or disagree with their points. I am christian, but I am not really proud of it. Most people don't even know what I believe in.

10. prajna Registered Member

Main Entry: 1pride
    Pronunciation: 'prId
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Middle English, from Old English pryde, from prud proud
    c : delight or elation arising from some act, possession, or relationship
    from Merriam-Webster Online http://www.m-w.com/

It is their relationship to their "belief" system, which is better described as their faith. True believers have a certain aura about them. Their faith gives them strength, along with this is joy and pride. Saying this, I should point out I am not a religous person in that I do not attend any organized religous activities or believe in a single Being that looks over me. I do think there is more to this universe, than I or any human can fully grasp. There is a nothingness where everything comes from.

11. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

I am an athiest and I am proud of my set of beliefs...although I should've really voted for Athiest and proud, I couldn't resist the temptation of last answer.

I am proud of what I believe in because I see it as truth. I see it as truth because I cannot see a rational world in which a deity could exist. What makes me proud the most is that many people in the world do not see what I see and I believe I am special in a certain way. Maybe this is what people all over think. That they are special because they think they know the truth and that others don't. And if people join their little collective they are also on the same level as you. So your group is better than any others. The psychological term is 'ethnosentrism'. Your group is right/better because you are part of it, much like your favourite team is better than the others because it is yours.

The main causes of ethnosentrism are: Religion/Creed, Race/Nationality, Gender, Sports and age.

So therefore in my mind Athiests are the only ones that know the truth and I am proud of this. This could apply to anybody.

I hope this posts helps the topic progress rather than butchered it.

Thank you for your time and patience

12. jadedflower observer Valued Senior Member

That's a good constructive reply (rare happening in this thread).

Yes, I'm an athiest too...

but I'm not proud of it... which isn't to say I'm ashamed. The lack of one does not imply the other.

I believe I know the truth... and it is something I deduced for myself... I could be proud that I came to this conclusion. I could be proud of that... proud that I realised it... but proud of a religion... I don't see it. I don't understand it.

13. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

Jinshchilla:
    So says the humble peasant not worth his weight in significance.

Ever seen the complacent pride on the face of a Holstein? They love groups as well.

The elite are just as bovine in their communes.

Proud Muslim:
    One lives incorrigibly middle-classed bullshit every single day.
    I'm so proud.

And your 'am' is so different than every other Muslim on this planet, yes?

How special, how indicative of a healthy, healthy 'pride'.

Jadedflower:
    Describes our average Muslim, I'd say.
    One should never mix "pride" with "spellbound"

Last edited: Apr 19, 2004
  14. jinchilla Registered Abuser Registered Senior Member

So says the humble peasent not worth his weight in significance.

I didn't reach the exalted status of "center of the universe" by putting any weight in the opinions of those who rely on personal attacks. So I will do nothing more than acknowledge your petty attempt, mere mortal.

Ever seen the complacent pride on the face of a Holstein? They love groups as well.

No arguement here.

The elite are just a bovine in their communes.

Again, no arguement, so what was your point in quoting me?

15. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

Jinchilla:
    Chill the fuck out, will you?

Relax. Relate. Realease.

It was not a personal attack, it was in reply to the "Pride - One of the seven deadly sins" comment. I should have bolded it alone and then replied to that instead. "Oops".

Just told you.

16. jinchilla Registered Abuser Registered Senior Member

Chilled the fuck out. Won't you join me? Guess I'll have to change my avatar.

17. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

As I stated in the other thread:
    Sorry Jade, but it sure looks like it.
    I see a person with a certain belief questioning the pride of people with other beliefs.
    Smells like VS to me. Christians VS Atheists.

18. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

Why are you not proud of what you are?
    If you are not proud of what you are, I suggest you either be something else. Or get a life.
    What the hell are you proud of, jade?
    This thread?
    Being intollerant, and questioning other people's pride?
    Thanks alot!
    I really hope you're proud of yoursef for this.

19. jinchilla Registered Abuser Registered Senior Member

And so, by decree of Emperor cool, jadedflower becomes a refugee of the caliditta empire. Forever fated to roam the earth a mere child in the wilderness.

Why does one need to be "proud" of what one is, cool? Can one not be humble? Personally, I think modesty a virtue. Personally.

I need not be anything but what I am and humble at that.

What say you, cool? Am I not worthy of citizenship in your vast and powerful empire?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2004
  20. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

Your mixing definitions.
    Just like Jade was trying to do at the beginning of this presumptuous thread.

21. water the sea Registered Senior Member

Jaded Flower,

That's a nice topic ... delicate.
    I remember an article called "Beware of pride" -- this from it:
    "The proud make every man their adversary by pitting their intellects, opinions, works, wealth, talents, or any other worldly measuring device against others."
    and
    "The proud stand more in fear of men’s judgment than of God’s judgment."
    and
    "Another face of pride is contention. Arguments, fights, unrighteous dominion, generation gaps, divorces, spouse abuse, riots, and disturbances all fall into this category of pride."

It is by a Mormon man Ezra Taft Benson, but I think it is still worth reading.
    The link is too long, so you can go to www.lds.org > search> type in "Beware of pride" and you'll get the article.

22. jadedflower observer Valued Senior Member

Jinchilla, I know I had said I would dissapear after the Easter holidays... and yet, I am here now.

Just wanted to ask you to please stop responding to "cool" because he's obviously nothing of the kind... perhaps... annoying_skill, pissy_skill, no_skill.

"Jade" had nothing presumptuous in her intentions. She was just honestly curious about how some people can be "proud" of something that is really not due to themselves.

Be pround of founders of a religion, be proud of a heratige...
    proud you believe? Had you been born somewhere else, you'd believe something else.

The essence is... you don't control it really.

With being an Atheist, I can understand pride. Proud you've seen through the web of lies. That's just one POV.

"Why are you not proud of what you are?
    If you are not proud of what you are, I suggest you either be something else. Or get a life.
    What the hell are you proud of, jade?
    This thread?
    Being intollerant, and questioning other people's pride?
    Thanks alot!
    I really hope you're proud of yoursef for this. "

Thanks for that, "cool_skil" - you are an idiot. And now, I will delight myself by explaining to you all the ways in which this is so.

"but I'm not proud of it... which isn't to say I'm ashamed. The lack of one does not imply the other."

There... I've posted it for you again in case those surts of temporary blindness you seem to have have covered your eyes and not allowed you to see that the answer to:

>Why are you not proud of what you are?

is: I am more than an atheist... and maybe I'm proud of other aspects of me.

the answer to:

>If you are not proud of what you are, I suggest you either be something else.

is:

I may not be proud, but I didn't say I was displeased... or that I wanted to be something else. Again - just for the sake of your blindness - I am not JUST an atheist. There is more to me.

As for:

>Or get a life.

I have one. And I do believe it is better than that cheap fake you're parading around as being one. I, for one, do not go round picking fights in random threads. I don't hold grudges. I don't fuel vendettas.

>What the hell are you proud of, jade?

I'm not "proud" of much - which isn't to say I'm ashamed.
    There is more to life than pride.

So what am I proud of?
    I'm proud of my writings, my book, my paintings, my drawings, my imagination as a whole, my creations - what I make with my own hands, my capacity to stay calm, and believe it or not, my sense of humor and style. I'm proud of what I'm not. I'm not vain, I don't have vices, I'm not perfect.

>This thread?

What? With you here?
    and no, not proud of this Thread. Nothing really to be proud of. I didn't do much.

>Being intollerant, and questioning other people's pride?

I don't QUESTION it.... I ask for enlightenment.
    Understanding. I want to understand. Comprehend. Stop me when one of these (perhaps mis-spelt - forgive me - I'm not a native of the language) words rings a bell.

>Thanks alot!

A lot. - two words.
    Alot is to alot a plot of land, or something, to someone.

And eer... sarcasm isn't the best show of intelligence.

>I really hope you're proud of yoursef for this.

If I find Yoursef I'll tell him I'm proud or him.
    Proud of me? no.
    Wow - bet you guessed that answer.

But then again - I am not ashamed.

There's more to life, than being proud.

I hope my message got across.

23. jadedflower observer Valued Senior Member

Thanks Rosa